Hair Hasn't Grown Back

I had my dog's hair trimmed last year in September for summer. She is a pomeranian with the usual abundance of hair.

Last year I had her trimmed professionally and it was quite short. I usually do it myself with scissors and it has always grown back so by this time she should be a fluff ball once again in time for winter.

Except this year nothing. The undercoat on her chest/belly and legs is growing back, and I have trimmed this myself to stop her looking totally ridiculous, but on her back and sides nothing.

Is this normal? Have I totally ruined her coat and she'll always be shorthaired??

The trim last year in Sept:

bel.jpg

Today:

bel1.jpg

She's hard to photograph, is never still enough!

That darker patch is hair.

My other dog's hair is growing back uniformly and her's was trimmed just as short.

I hope there is nothing wrong with her :)

Its just odd as I've trimmed her the last 2 years and it all grew back. She did get hot in summer with a full coat and I didn't (until just now) have air conditioning.

poms certainly dont need clipping off & it does ruin there coat encouraging the crap fuzz to grow back more BUT it should have groom more by now so i would be considering health issues.

When you clip you clip the correct coat off & your left with the undercoat that makes them hotter & it grows back thicker .

I do now off a pom that had coat growing issues after always having afull coat .I would be at the vet sooner than latter

Yep, thyroid check. Endocrine disorders can cause problems with hair regrowth.

My understanding was Spitz breeds shouldn't be clipped; but I don't understand why clipping hair would stop regrowth, when the genes are there for the long coats> Clipping doesn't alter the genetics :thumbsup:

but I don't understand why clipping hair would stop regrowth, when the genes are there for the long coats> Clipping doesn't alter the genetics confused.gif

It does.When you clip breeds thats coats dont require you alter the type of coat it has.

In the pom for example every time its clipped you clip the needed coat off & after awhile the quality coat just doesnt grow back the same BUT that hideous undercoat grows more.

It doesnt relate to genetics in this case .

This is why all good groomers explain in great detail what effects non typical grooming can have on some coats.

I would still be getting the dog tested BUt it may not grow back the way the OP thinks or hopes

I don't understand why clipping hair would stop regrowth, when the genes are there for the long coats> Clipping doesn't alter the genetics :rolleyes:

Their hair does not continually grow like in a Maltese, Shih Tzu or Poodle. It grows, stops, hangs around, falls out and grows again. Some adult males may hold a coat for a number of seasons, some change coat annually, and some with each season. No dog is the same. However the ones that would normally hold a coat for a number of years at a time, are the ones likely to look like that. The coat is not told to GROW when its cut off. It's told to grow by other influences such as season, age, health etc.

So that is one good reason not to clip a Spitz breed. It may not grow back for many years. And at 4 years of age, the OP may just have to wait until the start of summer to encourage a coat change, if health issues are not identified.

Rysup, what you say does make sense thankyou.

I have spoken to the vet, who was doubtful as she has no other signs to suggest a thyroid problem. I did consider cushings (as my other dog was tested for it) but again absolutely no other symptoms. The vet said I can bring her in to have a blood test to check anyway which I will do.

Its not the end of the world if she stays a shorthaired dog :laugh: And hey that means she wont need another clip this summer.