3 Year Vaccine

Just thought I'd also add this too - some more info from an email she sent me explaining the difference between Intervets' annual and triennial vacc...

Our annual range (Companion) is indeed very different to our premium range (Nobivac).

I have attached the actual physical difference in virus strains, most important is the parvovirus strains, which in our Nobivac DHP is a patented strain C-154. C-154 has been proven to be the leader in immunogenicity though its efficacy in the face of high maternally-derived antibody, faster onset of immunity (7 days versus most other 14days) and also the only vaccine in Australia with a registered claim to prevent shedding of clinical virulent disease (effectively assisting in "herd" immunity and protecting unvaccinated dogs).

Nobivac DHP is registered for a 10-week finish in puppies (due to its ability to overcome MDA and need no "primer" injection), onset of immunity within 7 days (meaning most earlier but this is based on the poorest responder within trials), 3-year duration of immunity, and prevention of shedding.

All of these registered claims are backed by both serological and challenge trials.

The DHP component is triennial, whilst the bordetella, parainfluenza (KC) component is still annual, and avialable in either injectable or intranasal.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew i had a question, couldnt remember it

One of the vets i talked to told me that the 3 year vaccination can only be used if the dog has had it since a puppy, that I can not do my dogs, because they have only ever had the 12 monthly one and you can not swap over.

anyone heard that before?

Edited by Teebs

I knew i had a question, couldnt remember it

One of the vets i talked to told me that the 3 year vaccination can only be used if the dog has had it since a puppy, that I can not do my dogs, because they have only ever had the 12 monthly one and you can not swap over.

anyone heard that before?

nope.... not true!

Our reps are often trying to change us over and have even given us info on how to go about the change with clients etc, so I can't see that being true at all!

Interesting that Fort Dodge have sold PROHEART 6 & PROHEART 12 to Pfitzer, and now they're making this 3 year vacc.

I'll wait for a few years to see what the side affects of this new drug are before i'll use it in my dog.

Interesting that Fort Dodge have sold PROHEART 6 & PROHEART 12 to Pfitzer, and now they're making this 3 year vacc.

I'll wait for a few years to see what the side affects of this new drug are before i'll use it in my dog.

What brand of Vaccine do your dogs get right now willis08???

Pfizer has taken over Fort Dodge completely - it's not specifically just SR12

ok, just tracked down the vets in Bathurst, they have a website, so i have shot off an email asking for info, will let you know what they say!

ETA i have just done a search and have emailed a few other vets... never know, they may have changed the way they run things since last time i talked to them!

Edited by Teebs

I'll only use vaccines made in oz.

The practice I work in does 'standard' vaccinations for the puppy series (one <12weeks and one >12 weeks), then starts the triannual vaccination schedule at the first adult vaccination (approx 15-16 months). Unless people specifically request annual C3, we use the 3 year vaccine for all adult dogs, alternative years are BB / PI and C2i (we have seen a few cases of leptospirosis in our region). The alternate years are cheaper and we will modify vaccination schedules on request. We haven't had anyone request a titre test specifically but we have run several on dogs with immune mediated conditions that are still undergoing treatment. Haven't found prices as cheap as mentioned on here but we are investigating. Vaccinations are important but we prefer to focus on the "wellness" check ups with vaccinations as incidental and have plenty of other things to keep us busy. It's easy to become resistant to change and I think the veterinary profession are facing some new challenges - some practices will step up, some will continue to play it safe until more information is available. I think it's time for pet owners to inform themselves and go in search of quality care :laugh:

Edited by Rappie

I wonder if the day will come that obedience clubs, boarding kennels etc will accept the 3 year vaccine.

what i was wondering, y im holding off in doing for awhile !

But they already do. I've had no problem getting my dogs accepted in to training, or boarding. A lot of the kennels hadn't heard of it when I first enquired but most were happy to discuss this further with either their vet on board, or my vet. Training didn't even bat an eyelid.

I'll only use vaccines made in oz.

Which ones are made in oz??