3 Year Vaccine

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've not heard back from the Intervet rep yet... BUT, I was talking to my boss about it (he's going to get some info for me today from Fort Dodge about theirs if he remembers!) and he was telling me that our Intervet rep told him that their triennial vaccines come from the same manufacturing plant thingy, that the Virbac annual ones are from, and that the vaccines is EXACTLY the same. Apparently this was confirmed by Virbac.

This is all second hand information, but its a start!

Ok, I've not heard back from the Intervet rep yet... BUT, I was talking to my boss about it (he's going to get some info for me today from Fort Dodge about theirs if he remembers!) and he was telling me that our Intervet rep told him that their triennial vaccines come from the same manufacturing plant thingy, that the Virbac annual ones are from, and that the vaccines is EXACTLY the same. Apparently this was confirmed by Virbac.

:) stormie! It's a great start :rofl:

I wonder if the day will come that obedience clubs, boarding kennels etc will accept the 3 year vaccine.

:rofl: I thought they did accept them :)

Not here in my town they don't. =[

:rofl: sorry to hear that.. thanks for letting me know because I just assumed they would :rofl:

do they accept titer testing?

I wonder if the day will come that obedience clubs, boarding kennels etc will accept the 3 year vaccine.

:rofl: I thought they did accept them :)

Not here in my town they don't. =[

They do in Canberra.

Can someone help me to find more info about the 3 year vaccines? (esp if they contain more antigene than the yearly ones)

:rofl:

Exactly the same as the "annual" one.

See this is not what I was told by my local vet that's why I want more precise info :)

I am willing to believe he was wrong but I just want to make sure :rofl:

I can't see why anyone could not accept a vaccine that is registered for 3 yearly use. I can understand a vet signing an annual one off as being due in 3 years as being rejected, purely because that would be classed as 'off label', but gees, if the vaccine says every 3 years, then that's the labeled, registered dose!

Hopefully I'll have some more info soon, first hand, stating the facts.

Edited by stormie

My new vet told me they were exactly the same as well - he has been doing a fair bit of reading and is more than happy for Zig to have annual KC plus check up and 3-yearly C3. He is my new vet because my usual vet will do nothing less than a C7 *sigh* Such a shame as he was a great vet otherwise.

I asked the vet who owns the surgery where i take my pup about this new 3 year vaccine, he has worked in the u.k , he said that this vaccine hasn,t had enough trials on it in australia. The dogs that have had bad reactions to it were mainly bull terriers, rottweilers and dobermans.

He doesn't stock it and won't use it until more trials are done on it.

He doesn't want his clients dogs being the guinea pigs.

ok, talked to a lady at this vet (sorry, didnt catch her name)

she said that they have been seeing a lot of reactions from vaccinations over the last few months, more so than normal, but not the 3 yearly one (but if they are both the same....?)

She said it isnt breed specific and that they dont like doing the 3 year one because (as my vets have said) a lot of people will just come in every 3 years and that the dogs should be checked out every year. At least with the yearly ones they will get a 12 monthly check up.

I think i am still going to go ahead with it, still got a few months so have time to think!

Gee I thought 3 year vaccines were a peace offering to stop vets from going under.

people how many vaccinations have you had in your life time ?? if you were to be re-vaccinated you would want to be titre tested first wouldn't you ? As an x emergency service worker certain vaccinations were mandatory but they check your immunity level first and if you don't need it you don't have it.

Question Why is it different for dogs ????

many dogs develope reactions to overvaccination the list is huge. with no known cure !

Plenty of info in previous threads on this subject.

Nope. They are so ignorant.

How bout stupid ! I went to check out a obedience club, asked one of the senior trainers what vacc my dog had to have to attend, she said C5.

I told her my dog had only had a C3, so i'd have to take him back to the vet for KC.

she told me C3 is useless, he'd have to have a C5. When i told her that he only needed to have KC, she wanted to tell me i was wrong :rofl:

Nope. They are so ignorant.

How bout stupid ! I went to check out a obedience club, asked one of the senior trainers what vacc my dog had to have to attend, she said C5.

I told her my dog had only had a C3, so i'd have to take him back to the vet for KC.

she told me C3 is useless, he'd have to have a C5. When i told her that he only needed to have KC, she wanted to tell me i was wrong :rofl:

some vets C5 are different... one of the vets here, there C5 does NOT include canine cough, you have to have a C7 to get it! Where as most have C3 (hep, distemper and parvo) and the Canine Cough (parahoweveryouspellit and Bordetella)

And i agree Dogcop, i dont want to vaccinate my dogs, but i cant afford the $200 + that the vets here charge for titre testing, if it was an option, i would do it.

Update :thumbsup:

Spoke to the Forte Dodge rep yesterday about their triennial. She left me a booklet that doesn't answer any of my questions typically, but when the boss asked her about their vaccines, she said (in her words) that the adenovirus component has been 'ramped' up to last 3 years. She was only new so didn't know a lot about it, but what she did explain sounds like it has been altered, ie made stronger somehow, to last longer. Maybe that's just the adenovirus bit, but either way, it's not the same!

Still waiting to hear back from Intervet, but from what I've heard already, if I was going to have a triennial, I'd be wanting the Intervet Nobivac one.