3 Year Vaccine

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can suggest is to try get hold of the package insert for the new and old vaccine, it may tell you how much virus is in your vaccine (it will probably be given in units of TCID50).

I suspect the three year licensed vaccine won't have more antigen than the old one, but I don't really know. Also, I'm not sure how much it matters, since live vaccines are designed to replicate in the body anyway (that's why they are so effective at stimulating the immune system), so your dog's immune system is generally exposed to more virus than you actually inject anyway.

:laugh:

Edited to add: yes please Stormie, I'd be interested too.

Edited by Staranais

I asked the vet who owns the surgery where i take my pup about this new 3 year vaccine, he has worked in the u.k , he said that this vaccine hasn,t had enough trials on it in australia. The dogs that have had bad reactions to it were mainly bull terriers, rottweilers and dobermans.

He doesn't stock it and won't use it until more trials are done on it.

He doesn't want his clients dogs being the guinea pigs.

No worries... will see if I can get them to email through some stuff and I'll post it up here!

Thanks stormie! i am interested to!

I asked the vet who owns the surgery where i take my pup about this new 3 year vaccine, he has worked in the u.k , he said that this vaccine hasn,t had enough trials on it in australia. The dogs that have had bad reactions to it were mainly bull terriers, rottweilers and dobermans.

can i ask you to PM me their details? Would love to have a talk to them - I am thinking of getting my bull terrier done with it next month

No worries... will see if I can get them to email through some stuff and I'll post it up here!

Thanks stormie! i am interested to!

can i ask you to PM me their details? Would love to have a talk to them - I am thinking of getting my bull terrier done with it next month

Could you PM me too :happydance: ? :happydance:

I was told by the Fort Dodge rep there is about 15% more in it..I'm assuming the measurement being as Staranais describes.

Fort Dodge and Intervet are the only brands to have the claim at this stage as far as I know and only for their C3s but I'm sure the others have their claims in to be approved. There are a few strains of Parvo and some brands appear to cover more or newer strains than others.

I've had one of mine done with the 3yr to no ill-effect so far and his breed is notorious for Vaccine reactions or immune mediated illness.

When you think about 15% more it is essentially the same Vacc just repackaged.

We stock it but no-one has asked for it so far.

I'm sure Stormy can come up with more than my vague description after making a few calls. :thumbsup:

Mel.

The safest thing would be to wait until an Australian made Vaccine gets a 3yr claim. :thumbsup:

I doubt the reactions would be no higher than with the others.

What does your vet say about the reaction percentage to C5??? etc etc

Were these bad reactions as in allergic or autoimmune type reactions to the vaccine, or as in the vaccine not working and the dog getting parvo etc within 3 years?

And do you know if they are reactions he's personally seen in practice, or ones that showed up in a trial?

The three year vaccine from Fort Dodge covers the most relevant strain of Parvo, especially if the new strain affecting USA, UK and Asia hits here. Your dog will still require a yearly booster for kennel cough, Intranasal is the best and most effective.

For some reason, some of the Black & Tan breeds (GSD, Rottis, Kelpies, Dobes) are more likely to have vaccine reactions in general, something about the uptake of the vaccine.

I haven't had experience with the Intervet vaccine.

They are trying to move toward the 3 yr vaccines, but there seems to be a lot of resistance. Vets are worried clients won't get yearly checks and will forget their yearly KC booster.

There are theories that once the puppy course of vaccination is complete, dogs carry immunity for up to 7 yrs (not for KC though) anyway, even with only the yearly vaccine. I wouldn't be risking it though! The three year vaccines contain more (and more effective?) antigens, and testing/experience in other countries has shown the immunity to last for more than three years.