Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Troy

What does the "totally reliable" mean in the stafford breed standard?

I don't know a lot about the breed Eileen, but in this context I would be guessing that the Stafford is dependable. One thing I've noticed with Esme is that her behaviour doesn't change, she has not ever done something out of the ordinary that has taken my by surprise. So therefore I can rely on her as I trust her nature. She is my first dog that I have ever trusted so much with my daughter. Yes, yes I know people shouldn't trust their dogs with kids and so on, but I do absolutely trust Esme. I'm still aware that she has teeth and my daughter cannot be fully trusted, but I know Esme is reliable, would not ever 'turn' and I can pretty much always predict Esme's next move.

Somebody else might come along and blow my theory out of the water :p But that has been my gist of it so far.

Esme is broken in terms of the 'fearless' though... :p

Hi all, Well after 2 months of searching My g/f and I finally found the Staffy for us! This is Zeb and he gets along great with our 1 yr old Shihtzu X (although im sure he thinks she is just a big fluffy toy that bites back) :wave:

post-31051-1256032751_thumb.jpg

Hi all, Well after 2 months of searching My g/f and I finally found the Staffy for us! This is Zeb and he gets along great with our 1 yr old Shihtzu X (although im sure he thinks she is just a big fluffy toy that bites back) :wave:

He's cute :) . Come join us in the Stafford thread :) .

I have a copy of the Breed Standard extension, if anyone wants to read it. It goes into further detail regarding structure and temperament.

Happy to email it

Oooh, I'm glad you've brought that up! lol

Would be interested to hear your opinion on it sometime :thumbsup:

:rofl: My opinion on the BSE ?

I have a copy of the Breed Standard extension, if anyone wants to read it. It goes into further detail regarding structure and temperament.

Happy to email it

Oooh, I'm glad you've brought that up! lol

Would be interested to hear your opinion on it sometime :thumbsup:

:rofl: My opinion on the BSE ?

Yes, sorry.

• 2 months later...

American Staffords are kennel club recognised and Irish are not - Irish Staffords is a name made up for Pitbull type dogs where Pitbulls are banned in UK and Ireland.

As far as colour goes, I assume you are asking about Staffordshire Bull Terriers ? If so then Liver and Black and Tan are highly undesirable in terms of showing / breeding and every other recognised colour is equal and up to personal preference. Do not be sucked in to paying any more for a "rare" blue or blue fawn - one quick look at the puppies for sale on DOL will tell you they are anything but rare.

American Staffords are kennel club recognised and Irish are not - Irish Staffords is a name made up for Pitbull type dogs where Pitbulls are banned in UK and Ireland.

As far as colour goes, I assume you are asking about Staffordshire Bull Terriers ? If so then Liver and Black and Tan are highly undesirable in terms of showing / breeding and every other recognised colour is equal and up to personal preference. Do not be sucked in to paying any more for a "rare" blue or blue fawn - one quick look at the puppies for sale on DOL will tell you they are anything but rare.

yes sorry i meant staffordshire bull terrier colours.

aww no i didnt go for a ble breeder im going to meet mum and dad to be and the breeder on sunday :mad so very exciting tho im only buying for a family pet not a show dog or breeding dog

We're getting our pup in 6 weeks, and while I'm home all day at the moment I may be returning to work soon.

I'm trying to figure out suitable accomidation for the puppy if he's at home on his own for say, up to 8 hours a day (although this is obviously a guess at the moment). Although our yard is fully fenced we've had problems with neighbouring dogs in the past, and living in the 'burbs we actually have a total of 5 adult dogs in adjoing yards. Therefore he won't be allowed outside on his own until he's mature, so the backyard is not an option.

We obviously wouldn't let him have the run of the house, and even if we could when he's older we have 2 cats so they'd need to be supervised together as well. They cause enough mayhem on their own lol.

Our best option at the moment is the garage - which is a double garage that we can clear out for him, and make quite cozy. But, does anyone have any better suggestions? I've heard a bit about dog runs, but I'm totally clueless as to how we'd make one and whether that would be a good idea considering where we live there's often unpredictable, extreme weather.

Edited by FD26

Garages are hot in summer and heat sinks in winter ( although to a lesser extent in the tropics ).

Build a secure run, concrete the floor, have a roof on it and padlock him in when you are not home. Make sure it's in a spot with some sun and plenty of shade.

There needs to be somewhere in the run that is covered and the dog can get out of the rain.

Puppies should not be locked in garages or bathrooms for extended periods of time, they require fresh air, sunshine and something to at least look at other than 4 walls.

Garages are hot in summer and heat sinks in winter ( although to a lesser extent in the tropics ).

Build a secure run, concrete the floor, have a roof on it and padlock him in when you are not home. Make sure it's in a spot with some sun and plenty of shade.

There needs to be somewhere in the run that is covered and the dog can get out of the rain.

Puppies should not be locked in garages or bathrooms for extended periods of time, they require fresh air, sunshine and something to at least look at other than 4 walls.

What she said :scared:

And make sure the run isn't easily visible from the street because someone will either decide to target the pup and pinch him or passing kids will torment him.

We're getting our pup in 6 weeks, and while I'm home all day at the moment I may be returning to work soon.

I'm trying to figure out suitable accomidation for the puppy if he's at home on his own for say, up to 8 hours a day (although this is obviously a guess at the moment). Although our yard is fully fenced we've had problems with neighbouring dogs in the past, and living in the 'burbs we actually have a total of 5 adult dogs in adjoing yards. Therefore he won't be allowed outside on his own until he's mature, so the backyard is not an option.

We obviously wouldn't let him have the run of the house, and even if we could when he's older we have 2 cats so they'd need to be supervised together as well. They cause enough mayhem on their own lol.

Our best option at the moment is the garage - which is a double garage that we can clear out for him, and make quite cozy. But, does anyone have any better suggestions? I've heard a bit about dog runs, but I'm totally clueless as to how we'd make one and whether that would be a good idea considering where we live there's often unpredictable, extreme weather.

The best thing to do is to make your yard completely dog and puppy proof. Not just for your dog but for dogs trying to get in. I have quite a big front fence that is locked whenever I am not home. It is to keep other dogs and people out more than it is to keep my dogs in. I just don't buy the excuse of "my dog accidently got out" ( i know you didn't say this , just making point)

I have two SBT's and they are very important to us and thus they are protected not from themselves but outside things. A 3 foot fence would keep both in as they are not escape artists, however a 6 foot fence keeps eveything else out.

While the puppy is young put together a temp dog run using the mesh panels from Bunning, for 300 bucks you could build an awesome run that will last forever and be able to be moved , folded up etc etc etc.

Edited by Roo