Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

Hi

I've researched many websites about CKCS's grooming and shedding

and they all say different things about how much they shed. I know you can reducde the

shedding by regular brushing but how much can you reduce the shedding by?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got a new 9 wk old Cavalier puppy from a registered breeder :D

Hes a gorgeous wee thing and my boys adore him already. Have had corgis in the past so I'm not totally a dog novice, just a Cavalier novice :(

Just a few questions:

Is crate training as in puppy playroom and doggy den a good idea for a Cavalier? It seems like an awesome way to get him toilet trained and chew toy trained asap to a novice. Hes been pretty good at night so far, hes in a puppy safe laundry and first night he went straight to sleep and didnt cry til it was daylight. The nights since then hes cried a bit but settled down quickly. But always awake and crying from dawn lolz. He might need to spend a couple of hours alone during the day once or twice a week so I'd like to get him used to this asap.

Hes been fed Supercoat, Roo mince and VIP puppy roll to this point. I want to put him on a better quality food so I'm looking at Royal Canin and Eagle Farm. Is he too young for the Royal Canin cavalier breed specific food? What age should he go on that if he is too young at this stage? Which of the two Eagle farm puppy foods is better: Holistic select small/mini puppy or the small/medium breed puppy formula? Any other suggestions food wise? I don't have time to do a raw/natural diet for him so please only commercial food recommendations.

We have a cat and she just hisses at him and runs away, so he chases her. I'm hoping they can be friends and keep each other company. Any suggestions to help them get along?

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. :)

There is a Cavalier thread in general you might want to pop in to. It's in the breed subforum. We do need pics though :rofl: Royal Canin is good. I don't feed the breed specific one cause it doesn't come in big bags. Eagle Pack is good too. I prefer the Holistic range. There is a chicken one that is suited to small breeds adult and puppy. Don't know about helping with the cat, I'm afraid.

Hi Bashara

Hopefully this message finds you since this thread is a few months old :o I have 4 cavs at the moment and feed them all on the Royal Canin breed specific. They are however all over 12 months old. I am fairly sure you can feed the breed specific from 10 months old, until then I would just use a good quality puppy food. There are so many on the market and if you only have the one to feed I would recommend a good quality one like Royal canin or advance or science diet. Then when it comes time to switch do it slowly, the first night do 1/4 new food 3/4 old food, stay on that for a couple of nights then do 1/2 and 1/2 for a few nights then 3/4 new 1/4 old and then you should be good to go. I don't feed my cavs any kind of wet food only dry and then about once a week they get chicken necks. I do however put sardines in oil in their dry food to keep their coat glossy.

The cat thing well I have a cat that stays inside with my dogs too and they usually tolerate each other. Over time I am sure they will learn to get on. My dogs chase the cat too but she is too fast for them and I am fairly sure it is all a big game for her!!!

Hope this helps you :laugh:

Hi

I've researched many websites about CKCS's grooming and shedding

and they all say different things about how much they shed. I know you can reducde the

shedding by regular brushing but how much can you reduce the shedding by?

They do shed quite a bit. I find going over them with a rubber mitt good for removing loose hair. For years I had a blenheim and ruby sleep with me and didn't realise how much hair they lost until my black and tan joined the bed :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm intending to get a Cavalier puppy next month. I am terrible at estimating sizes so am looking for guidance from experienced Cav owners when it comes to buying the essentials. (I remember when I bought a coat online for my rotweiller it was big enough for a horse lol).

Allowing for the puppy to grow to adult size, what size should I look for when I buy:

(1) carrier (I'll be buying on of the airline approved ones) - should I get small or medium?

(2) collar

(3) harness for walks

(4) bed (do they like curling up in a ball and prefer a snug bed or do they like to stretch out?)

(5) bowls (I learnt from my mum's Persian cats that this is important - their flat faces required shallow, wide brimmed bowls)

(6) crate

Edited by allie181

Hi Allie :eek: My airline crates are out in the carport but I have one in here that is just a little smaller and it measures 60cm in length. You'd be best to wait till the pup grows a bit before buying a collar if you want it to fit as an adult. Just a small, soft one would be fine for a pup. Harness I imagine might be the same. What fits a pup isn't going to fit an adult. Beds they generally like snuggly :eek: Bowls - I like spaniel bowls. Crate? Do you mean you want two different ones or did I misunderstand? Why don't you pop into the Cavalier thread in general and ask people in there. I think more people go in there.

Hi Allie :eek: My airline crates are out in the carport but I have one in here that is just a little smaller and it measures 60cm in length. You'd be best to wait till the pup grows a bit before buying a collar if you want it to fit as an adult. Just a small, soft one would be fine for a pup. Harness I imagine might be the same. What fits a pup isn't going to fit an adult. Beds they generally like snuggly :eek: Bowls - I like spaniel bowls. Crate? Do you mean you want two different ones or did I misunderstand? Why don't you pop into the Cavalier thread in general and ask people in there. I think more people go in there.

Thanks Gretel, that's all very useful.

Regarding the crate / carrier, I've never had a small dog so have never had to train a puppy inside before. I've read about needing to 'crate' them. Can I use the carrier as a crate? I had the image in my head that the crate had to be a metal crate.

I have an assortment of crates. More crates than dogs :eek: The airline crates are fine for transporting them and they can also sleep in them. If you are in a hot area you may prefer a wire crate. You can always put something over a wire one to make it more snug for them to sleep in.

Hi may i ask all you cavalier lovers out there is it a fault if the puppy is around 8-12 of age and has white parts on its nose??? We are looking for a puppy to join our family later this year and have noticed theres a few around with the white on their noses. I like the solid black noses. Any info on this would be great. Thankyou .=)

Edit: just did a bit more googling... and found that its the pigments.. and pups who have it it will eventually go black.. also read dont feed dog from plastic bowls feed then from metal ones and that should help with the nose going black quicker... strange... if anyone has any info on any of this please comment.

Thankyou =)

Edited by Becs_Staffy

Hi BS yes unless it is a large area that is not pigmented it should colour over as the pup grows. They are born with pink noses :laugh: As far as the feeding bowls that is related to noses going off colour. Sometimes the nose will fade a bit to grey or brown. It is more usually caused by hormones.

Hi Allie :champagne: My airline crates are out in the carport but I have one in here that is just a little smaller and it measures 60cm in length. You'd be best to wait till the pup grows a bit before buying a collar if you want it to fit as an adult. Just a small, soft one would be fine for a pup. Harness I imagine might be the same. What fits a pup isn't going to fit an adult. Beds they generally like snuggly :champagne: Bowls - I like spaniel bowls. Crate? Do you mean you want two different ones or did I misunderstand? Why don't you pop into the Cavalier thread in general and ask people in there. I think more people go in there.

Thanks Gretel, that's all very useful.

Regarding the crate / carrier, I've never had a small dog so have never had to train a puppy inside before. I've read about needing to 'crate' them. Can I use the carrier as a crate? I had the image in my head that the crate had to be a metal crate.

You don't have to crate train them Allie but if you're home a lot during the day, it's a good way to toilet train and the crates are a useful bed for them (great to keep near your own bed at night so they're close by) and useful if they need some quiet time away from small children etc. It's also good when they need to be crated at the vets or for air travel because they're already used to being in a crate so it's not as stressful for them.

As for beds, we have a bean bag type, a doughnut one (snuggly for winter), a big cushion type and a square soft one with sides and they are all used daily (they mostly like to curl up in them). At night though, they both sleep in their crates in our bedroom. :champagne:

I have an assortment of crates. More crates than dogs :champagne: The airline crates are fine for transporting them and they can also sleep in them. If you are in a hot area you may prefer a wire crate. You can always put something over a wire one to make it more snug for them to sleep in.

Agreed. Maybe if pup is flying to you, you could just hire the crate from the transport company and then have a wire crate ready at home (we have 60cm crates - the two door ones are extra versatile). Some come with dividers (otherwise you can make your own using a piece of plywood) which is good to use whilst pup is so small so that he/she doesn't just sleep at one end and toilet at the other.

Edited by LuvMyCav

Hi BS yes unless it is a large area that is not pigmented it should colour over as the pup grows. They are born with pink noses :o As far as the feeding bowls that is related to noses going off colour. Sometimes the nose will fade a bit to grey or brown. It is more usually caused by hormones.

hi thanx for the info.. i know they are born with pink noses, just noticed some pups i've been looking at still have some white on their noses around 8-12 weeks. thanx again =)

• 1 month later...

I have a 4 1/2 old girl cav who 'talks'. She asks for biscuits, for gates to be opened for her, for cuddles or to play, she evern 'spoke' to the vet the other day when we paid him a visit. She is persistant and gets louder until you pay attention. i have never had another dog that has done this, is this common to the cavs?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi all you Cavalier owners. I am new to DOL and have been lurking and reading this thread with interest, I'm reading as much as I can before I welcome my little love sponge into my home. I recently lost my female blenheim Cavalier and it was hell on earth to lose her but I can't imagine not having another Cav.

Edited by Aannie

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I recently rescued a gorgeous little cav from our local pound and have been fostering her while we get all her vetting done. We foster normally for Aust. Working Dog Rescue but she hardly fits that description lol, so have done it all privately. We've recently had her speyed at work (Vet nurse here lol) vaccinated, given heartworm prophylaxis, flea and Intestinal worm treated etc. Two of our vets have cleared her heart :cry: We have crate trained her and taught her to lead. She's amazing with our young kiddles ( 4 and 7), horses, cats and other dogs. Chelsea is just 18 months old and we think she is now ready to find her perfect forever home. I am totally in love with her, and will not let her go untill we are 100% certain she has that amazing forever home she deserves, so thought here might be a good place just to make enquiries and see if anyone may know someone that has only the best home to offer Chelsea :mad

Cheers,

Renae

Hi may i ask all you cavalier lovers out there is it a fault if the puppy is around 8-12 of age and has white parts on its nose??? We are looking for a puppy to join our family later this year and have noticed theres a few around with the white on their noses. I like the solid black noses. Any info on this would be great. Thankyou .=)

Edit: just did a bit more googling... and found that its the pigments.. and pups who have it it will eventually go black.. also read dont feed dog from plastic bowls feed then from metal ones and that should help with the nose going black quicker... strange... if anyone has any info on any of this please comment.

Thankyou =)

Hi BS, I have a tri color bitch which had pigmentation on her nose until she was over 12 months old!! She is now 3 and has a completely back nose. I think if they have alot of pigmentation on their nose then maybe some of it might not change to black, but i haven't seen one yet!!! I showed her with the pigmentation and that didn't change the judges decision in giving her challenges. The pigmentation is not desired and is a minor fault. I don' think the bowl thing has anything to do with the colour changing, but IMO I wouldn't use a plastic bowl as I have heard that the toxins in plastic can leach out and has been associated with some skin conditions, so I only use metal for my princes and princesses!!! :rofl: Good luck with your hunt, once you have one, you will soon be looking for more, they are very addictive :rasberry::laugh:

Just got a new 9 wk old Cavalier puppy from a registered breeder :rofl:

Hes a gorgeous wee thing and my boys adore him already. Have had corgis in the past so I'm not totally a dog novice, just a Cavalier novice :rofl:

Just a few questions:

Is crate training as in puppy playroom and doggy den a good idea for a Cavalier? It seems like an awesome way to get him toilet trained and chew toy trained asap to a novice. Hes been pretty good at night so far, hes in a puppy safe laundry and first night he went straight to sleep and didnt cry til it was daylight. The nights since then hes cried a bit but settled down quickly. But always awake and crying from dawn lolz. He might need to spend a couple of hours alone during the day once or twice a week so I'd like to get him used to this asap.

Hes been fed Supercoat, Roo mince and VIP puppy roll to this point. I want to put him on a better quality food so I'm looking at Royal Canin and Eagle Farm. Is he too young for the Royal Canin cavalier breed specific food? What age should he go on that if he is too young at this stage? Which of the two Eagle farm puppy foods is better: Holistic select small/mini puppy or the small/medium breed puppy formula? Any other suggestions food wise? I don't have time to do a raw/natural diet for him so please only commercial food recommendations.

We have a cat and she just hisses at him and runs away, so he chases her. I'm hoping they can be friends and keep each other company. Any suggestions to help them get along?

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. :cry:

There is a Cavalier thread in general you might want to pop in to. It's in the breed subforum. We do need pics though :rofl: Royal Canin is good. I don't feed the breed specific one cause it doesn't come in big bags. Eagle Pack is good too. I prefer the Holistic range. There is a chicken one that is suited to small breeds adult and puppy. Don't know about helping with the cat, I'm afraid.

Hi Gretel, Royal Canin do make Breed Specific in 7.5 kg bags. I am not sure where you live but I live the NT and can only get it a pet shop called Pets Village. I have tried to get Petbarn to stock it but they won't :laugh: I feed 4 dogs on this and that is all they get. I don't feed any wet kind of food with this as this should be all they need and a 7.5 kg bag lasts me about 4-5 weeks. I do supplement them 1-2 times a week with chicken necks though :rasberry:

The Royal Canin breed specific is for dogs from 10 months of age so probably a good idea to have your puppy on a puppy food from Royal Canin and slowly introduce the new food when he is old enuf :rofl:

Edited by liamber

I have a 4 1/2 old girl cav who 'talks'. She asks for biscuits, for gates to be opened for her, for cuddles or to play, she evern 'spoke' to the vet the other day when we paid him a visit. She is persistant and gets louder until you pay attention. i have never had another dog that has done this, is this common to the cavs?

Cheers

My Miss Charlotte does this, but my other 3 girls don't..

Hi all!

I recently rescued a gorgeous little cav from our local pound and have been fostering her while we get all her vetting done. We foster normally for Aust. Working Dog Rescue but she hardly fits that description lol, so have done it all privately. We've recently had her speyed at work (Vet nurse here lol) vaccinated, given heartworm prophylaxis, flea and Intestinal worm treated etc. Two of our vets have cleared her heart :thumbsup: We have crate trained her and taught her to lead. She's amazing with our young kiddles ( 4 and 7), horses, cats and other dogs. Chelsea is just 18 months old and we think she is now ready to find her perfect forever home. I am totally in love with her, and will not let her go untill we are 100% certain she has that amazing forever home she deserves, so thought here might be a good place just to make enquiries and see if anyone may know someone that has only the best home to offer Chelsea :D

Cheers,

Renae

Hi Renae,

You could contact the cavalier club of NSW rescue co-ordinator.. They recently helped me rehome a male cavalier I rescued from the pound and he know has a wonderful new owner.. I know what you mean by making sure that your cavalier goes into a great home and after talking to the cavalier club i felt very confident that this home was perfect for him.. He has been gone now for 3 weeks and his new owner is so wrapt with him..

http://www.cavalierclubnsw.com/rescue.html