(uk) Eleventh Hour Mercy Plea To Save Death Row Dog Bruce

shel

Guest rhapsodical78
Is there any update on little Bruce?

And just as a side note, blame my age, but what is the status today of the BSL war we have going on? Is there anything in the wind of change? What kind of things are being organised to fight this insanity? I'd like to lend my support to it is why I ask. :rofl:

I guess you can start here, if you're interested. http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...90&start=90

Message me your email and I'll put you on the list.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is dated 19th August 2009.

August Update News Story

Death row dog for Court of Appeal

Shannon Brown said Bruce does not pose a threat to people

The case of a Northern Ireland dog on death row for being a banned breed is to go to the Court of Appeal.

Bruce, a Staffordshire-bull terrier cross, was seized by North Down Borough Council dog control officers in 2007.

It was ruled to be a banned pit-bull type and a magistrate has ordered its destruction, but owner Shannon Brown is appealing the ruling.

"He has never harmed anyone or ever would, if he did I would have put my hand up to it," she said.

An online petition calling for the dog, found as a puppy in Bangor, County Down, by Ms Brown, had received nearly 16,000 signatures.

She is getting legal aid to fight the case, which has cost the local council about £17,000.

The council said it was acting to meet its "statutory responsibilities" under the Dangerous Dogs (NI) Order 1991.

"This makes it illegal for anyone to have a pit-bull type dog in their possession or custody," the council said.

"Bruce has been confirmed by the courts as being a pit-bull type breed and Ms Brown has not appealed the court's ruling in this respect."

Ms Brown said that she had been offered the dog back, but only if he was neutered, walked on a leash and insured.

However, she said that she had not been able to get insurance to cover the animal because it was now classed as a banned breed.

The law in Northern Ireland is different from the law in the rest of the UK, with destruction the only statutory option for a banned breed.

Jaws

In the rest of the UK owners can retain the animals if they are deemed not to pose a threat and they agree to have them neutered and comply with a number of restrictions, including getting third party insurance.

Jeanette Thompson from Parents Against Needless Dog Attacks, whose son was injured when a pet Labrador bit him, said that dogs could turn and bull-terriers had powerful jaws.

"The problem with these dogs is when they bite they tear and rip and go in deep - you would want to avoid that at all cost," she said.

Stephen Philpott from the USPCA said that the law needed to be changed because of problems with identifying banned breeds when crossed with other breeds and a lack of discretion in the law in Northern Ireland.

"Bruce is the ultimate loser in this whole protracted legal process," he said.

"I and my veterinary surgeon have very strong opinions on the incarceration of dogs.

"Locking dogs up in kennels for two years is certainly not doing that dog a favour - hopefully it will turn out all right in the end, but that animal is not institutionalised."

The Department of Agriculture and Rural Development said councils were responsible for enforcing the legislation, but that the minister intends to consult on new policy proposals for dog control legislation in the Autumn.

"It's a law designed to kill dogs and we think it should be sorted out," Mr Philpott said.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

Ms Brown said that she had been offered the dog back, but only if he was neutered, walked on a leash and insured.

However, she said that she had not been able to get insurance to cover the animal because it was now classed as a banned breed.

What's the story with insurance in Ireland? Do restricted breeds here have to have special insurance?

What's the story with insurance in Ireland? Do restricted breeds here have to have special insurance?

This is Northern Ireland not Ireland. Different laws.

This one got me:

Jeanette Thompson from Parents Against Needless Dog Attacks

Are there needful dog attacks?

Edited by Sheridan

This is Northern Ireland not Ireland. Different laws.

What's the story with special insurance in NI in regard to restricted breeds and do we have them here?

Any news? I have everything crossed for a great outcome.

I just found this on a few of the Facebooks for Bruce.

"Repost: Bruce: New hearing to be had. Should have a date for the next hearing, in about 2 weeks time. Bruce remains alive whilst legal avenues are being explored/ongoing. I think we should try DARD again now and those NI Assembly members, let them know br...uce is stil alive and held in a kennels whilst this nightmare situation continues."

I have no idea what happened on the 14th, but I feel so sorry for this dog and his family. This must be torture for them. :heart:

Does anyone know anything else?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I must have been living under a rock for a few years as I have only heard about this now. Watching that video made my cry, that poor dog. How can the council be allowed to still keep Bruce there in those conditions, why hasnt a animal rights group stepped in and done something. My heart goes out to the family of Bruce and to Bruce himself you are such a beautiful baby and you dont deserve this, enough is enough and Bruce needs to be at home with his family. :D

I must have been living under a rock for a few years as I have only heard about this now. Watching that video made my cry, that poor dog. How can the council be allowed to still keep Bruce there in those conditions, why hasnt a animal rights group stepped in and done something. My heart goes out to the family of Bruce and to Bruce himself you are such a beautiful baby and you dont deserve this, enough is enough and Bruce needs to be at home with his family. :thumbsup:

Same. Absolutely disgusting. Poor Bruce and family.