Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jessm, if you like I would be happy to take some shots of Leo for you. We could meet down the road at the park or something one arvo? Im not a fantastic photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but my camera is reasonable enough. Shoot me a pm if you'd like :thumbsup:

Aw thankyou! And I have snooped on some of your photos before and think that you do a fine job! ...Although, Leo wouldn't be the best subject :dancingelephant:

Lol Dont be silly he's gorgeous!

Happy birthday to Toby!

he was watching me because he knew he wasnt allowed at the table LOL

:laugh: Love this picture...going to attempt to make Kites cake today I think! Was going to bring it to the show on the weekend but think we will just have a barbie at mums house on sunday or a little dinner here or something not sure yet! :laugh:

Does anyone know anywhere in SA you can do show training

I would like to do the training first BEFORE i get a show quality dog.

I need practice :laugh:

Ummmm, that's a nice idea but to do show training you need a DOG to train with. Show training is not only about giving ourselves some training, but more so to help the DOG when it hits the ring :laugh:

Does anyone know anywhere in SA you can do show training

I would like to do the training first BEFORE i get a show quality dog.

I need practice :laugh:

Ummmm, that's a nice idea but to do show training you need a DOG to train with. Show training is not only about giving ourselves some training, but more so to help the DOG when it hits the ring :laugh:

I did a couple of weeks with my older golden before taking Willow to training, I did have her though by that stage. I learn't a couple of things, like lead in the left hand instead of the right that you use for obedience, and how and where to place their feet etc. If the other dog is of a similar breed it should transfer over ok. I'd atleast do it close to getting your puppy though, you could learn and not get your dog for another 6month or whatever and forget everything, I know I would of. Definately take your puppy along as well once you have him/her.

You may find it really usefull to just start going to shows. If you have chosen a breed already then go and watch them whenever there is a show nearby. take a chair and shade and watch and watch. If you know someone that shows go and listen to what they are talking about.

You'll get an idea of how people move their dogs, in what order they go in and how and who runs off for each class. You'll see the pattern of what the judge expects, what they do and make sure you wait for in group, class in group and general specials.

Having a good idea of these things will all help you when it comes time. You'll be nervous the first time so any way to make things less foriegn is good. If you know your breed its also a good opportunity to pick up supplies.

Bec

speaking of supplies - dotty great rugs will be there this weekend if youre still after a floor mat for the gazebo.

Just got the trolley cover ordered to save on postage :hug:

I got my prayer mat (that's the floor mat for the gazebo) from the bargain store at St Marys, which is just up the road from Erskine Park. I'm sure other bargain stores would sell them though and it was half the price of what great rugs charge for the same mat :cheer:

ok, so first show is tomorrow. Starts at 9:30am. What is a good time to arrive? I don't want to be the first to arrive, but I also don't want to arrive too late and find that I have nowhere to put up the gazebo. It's at Castle Hill Ag, do they normally not open the gates at a certain time for the Ag show?

ok, so first show is tomorrow. Starts at 9:30am. What is a good time to arrive? I don't want to be the first to arrive, but I also don't want to arrive too late and find that I have nowhere to put up the gazebo. It's at Castle Hill Ag, do they normally not open the gates at a certain time for the Ag show?

I live at Castle Hill and have Salukis. However, being the Castle Hill Ag show and all rings are together (not much space between them) we plan on being there no later than 7.30am to get reasonable car park and set up. Good luck with your girl at her first show. Hey, did you go to the Royal last year with "Affie" from DOL??

Edited by Wilbur

I live at Castle Hill and have Salukis. However, being the Castle Hill Ag show and all rings are together (not much space between them) we plan on being there no later than 8am to get reasonable car park and set up. Good luck with your girl at her first show. Hey, did you go to the Royal last year with "Affie" from DOL??

ok cool. 8am is very reasonable, was thinking we would have to be there by 7am or so! That's good.

Yeah I did go with Affie. I remember meeting you and your saluki's. :hug:

eta: just saw your edited post. wish we still lived in Winston Hills, would only be a 10min drive instead of 45mins!

Edited by GoldenWei

Best of luck in the show ring GW. I'm sure Willow will do well for you and just remember to have fun. :hug:

Best of luck in the show ring GW. I'm sure Willow will do well for you and just remember to have fun. :hug:

Thanks WB. My aim is to have fun, not expecting too much from her, especially at our first show.

yep get in early get a good spot to set up ill be there around the same time lol. i wish they started sweepies earlier though! if you see us come say hi :hug:

Yep, will do. If you see us do the same :( Hope it's not going to be too cold out there at that hour, thinking of taking a hot water bottle to put in the crate with Willow!