Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is anyone going to the 3rd April Gladstone show? Will be my first show, so i'm very nervous, and it would be nice to meet another DOL'er for even a gram of support! :D

toby is from gladstone i'll check with his breeder also a doler and see if she is going

He is a 14 week old German Shorthaired Pointer. Has a lovely gait which we didnt need to work on at all, but he is very fidgety with the stack! We haven't had much success with that aspect so far, but we went to our first handling lesson tonight which helped a bit, we managed to actually stack him properly for a few seconds! :wave::thumbsup:

It's 4am so off to bed, but I will post a pic tomorrow. I'll try and get a nice stack photo too, I haven't got one yet and I want one for his DOL profile. :thumbsup: Showname is Heiderst Bite The Bullet 'Easton'.

Edited by Keyarna

I think fidgety stacks and 14 week old puppies go together.... :wave: Look forward to your photos. :thumbsup:

He is a 14 week old German Shorthaired Pointer. Has a lovely gait which we didnt need to work on at all, but he is very fidgety with the stack! We haven't had much success with that aspect so far, but we went to our first handling lesson tonight which helped a bit, we managed to actually stack him properly for a few seconds! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's 4am so off to bed, but I will post a pic tomorrow. I'll try and get a nice stack photo too, I haven't got one yet and I want one for his DOL profile. :thumbsup: Showname is Heiderst Bite The Bullet 'Easton'.

He is a 14 week old German Shorthaired Pointer. Has a lovely gait which we didnt need to work on at all, but he is very fidgety with the stack! We haven't had much success with that aspect so far, but we went to our first handling lesson tonight which helped a bit, we managed to actually stack him properly for a few seconds! :wave::thumbsup:

Ohhh congrats Keyarna. I have done two shows. The first I was nervous as all hell, second one wasn't so bad, still nervous but we did ok. For the stacking, my breeder told me to stick my thumb under her collar when I am practising at home, so basically I am holding her head with my thumb in her collar. Seemed to work. Of course you can't really do that in the ring. At show training Luci said to rub her tummy gently or rub your hands down her back to keep her from moving and keep saying stand. Bit hard to explain it. In sweepstakes last weekend she didn't want to stack at all, had her nose to the ground! In her class she was much better, of course I had yummier bait for her so that may of made a difference.

Good luck with him. I'm sure you'll get there after a while. Just remember to have fun with him, baby puppies aren't meant't to be perfect, especially at 14 weeks :thumbsup:

OK everyone get ready to :laugh: & :(, got a couple of questions about showing, I've never done it before. I'm thinking of entering my neutered Aussie girl in a show in May, she's registered & I'm a member of Dogs SA, are all the neutered dogs shown together or in their respective breeds & the classes are numbered 1,2,3,4 etc. neutered & 1A,2A,3A,4A etc neutered, would I enter both neutered classes or is one for dogs & one for bitches :laugh:. See told you I have :( about showing so please be gentle with me with your answers :D, probably be better off staying away :p.

At this stage not all shows offer neuter classes. This might change after 1 July with the introduction of the Neuter Championship.

Neuter classes:

15 - puppy neuter

16 - junior neuter

17 - intermediate neuter

18 - open neuter

An A is added after the class number for bitches.

At the moment if clubs are offering neuter classes they only seem to be offering Class 18. We don't get that many here in NSW but it might be different in SA.

Hi Show People,

Was just given a pointer that some of you may be able to help me (thanks sammy_ballerina)

I'm brand spanking new to showing & so is my 3 month Finnish Lapphund. We had our first crack at it on the weekend and now I'm hooked! Can any of you please tell me details for show training classes at Castle Hill- I know they exist but can not get any contact details anywhere.

Much appreciated!

Hi Show People,

Was just given a pointer that some of you may be able to help me (thanks sammy_ballerina)

I'm brand spanking new to showing & so is my 3 month Finnish Lapphund. We had our first crack at it on the weekend and now I'm hooked! Can any of you please tell me details for show training classes at Castle Hill- I know they exist but can not get any contact details anywhere.

Much appreciated!

Welcome!!!! :)

Poocow and Goldenwei do show training at castle hill...I think they do anyway...not sure who else, but I'm sure they will be along soon enough to tell you all about it!!!

Can I request some pics of you puppy? Have met a couple of Lappies now and :laugh: is all I have to say about that!

Thanks for the welcome.

Still trying to figure out uploading pics to this site (can you tell I'm not really computer savvy?!) But there are pics from our first show on the weekend in the Spitz thread, post 20095

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...56&st=20085

Just before the show her ears went from being perfectly upright to one up one down- I'm told this happens when teething.

Agree- Lappies are easy to fall in love with- guess I am a bit biased :laugh:

Hi Show People,

Much appreciated!

Welcome!!!! :thumbsup:

Poocow and Goldenwei do show training at castle hill...I think they do anyway...not sure who else, but I'm sure they will be along soon enough to tell you all about it!!!

Can I request some pics of you puppy? Have met a couple of Lappies now and :laugh: is all I have to say about that!

Our third show is this weekend, and yep, am hooked too.

I think there is show training at Castle Hill on Tuesday nights at 7:30om. I go to Luci Ellem out at Austral, however I believe she has finished for the next month so classes won't be happening until after ANZAC weekend.... Poocow maybe able to confirm that though, I didn't go this week. Where abouts are you located mentmint? Oh, and Welcome :)

Hi Show People,

Much appreciated!

Welcome!!!! :o

Can I request some pics of you puppy? Have met a couple of Lappies now and :) is all I have to say about that!

I think there is show training at Castle Hill on Tuesday nights at 7:30om. I go to Luci Ellem out at Austral, however I believe she has finished for the next month so classes won't be happening until after ANZAC weekend.... Poocow maybe able to confirm that though, I didn't go this week. Where abouts are you located mentmint? Oh, and Welcome :thumbsup:

Shows how much I know I thought you and Poocow went to castle hill silly me shall have to remember that! :laugh:

Hi Show People,

Much appreciated!

Welcome!!!! :)

Can I request some pics of you puppy? Have met a couple of Lappies now and :) is all I have to say about that!

I think there is show training at Castle Hill on Tuesday nights at 7:30om. I go to Luci Ellem out at Austral, however I believe she has finished for the next month so classes won't be happening until after ANZAC weekend.... Poocow maybe able to confirm that though, I didn't go this week. Where abouts are you located mentmint? Oh, and Welcome :thumbsup:

Shows how much I know I thought you and Poocow went to castle hill silly me shall have to remember that! :laugh:

Nope I've only ever gone to Luci's :o

Classes will resume on April 27th - she teaches on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and also Wednesday during the day.

Hi Show People,

Much appreciated!

Welcome!!!! :rofl:

Can I request some pics of you puppy? Have met a couple of Lappies now and :thumbsup: is all I have to say about that!

I think there is show training at Castle Hill on Tuesday nights at 7:30om. I go to Luci Ellem out at Austral, however I believe she has finished for the next month so classes won't be happening until after ANZAC weekend.... Poocow maybe able to confirm that though, I didn't go this week. Where abouts are you located mentmint? Oh, and Welcome :o

Shows how much I know I thought you and Poocow went to castle hill silly me shall have to remember that! :)

Nope I've only ever gone to Luci's :)

Classes will resume on April 27th - she teaches on Tuesday and Wednesday nights and also Wednesday during the day.

Yeah I know I just thought they were the same one...LOL shows I know nothing about sydney and where things are ect!Silly silly! :laugh:

LOL... more bloody NSW people!

This thread needs to be renamed... 'Hitting the ring for the first time in NSW'

By the way, we had three shows on the weekend and got 3 BOB and some pointies... yay!

Another show this Sunday and then the following Friday... Looking forward to it!

Congratulations LOTG and Lola!!! :) Good luck for your next two shows! I am possibly entering Chester in a show tomorrow morning, then 2 on Saturday (as long as kids vs dogs isn't too difficult). Then hopefully specialties on Easter weekend. :laugh: