Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

Just though if anyone else is hitting the ring for the first time they may want to pop in here???

Maybe we can share our experiences, stuff ups ect lol.....a bit like a newbie support group :eek:

So I am Bec, about to hit the ring on the 26th for the first time. I am showing a Havanese. I am nuts....he a coated predominantly white dog :( Never been around showing dogs and my breeder is in a different state. She is however very supportive and I have a great lady willing to hold my hand for my first show even though she has her hands full herself (Thanks JO!!!)

Bec

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I showed for the first time on Friday (10th July) with my Field Spaniel Morgan. She won BPOB (by default) but went to mush in the group line up and didn't even get a second look. She was so naughty rolling around chewing on her lead, what an embarresment! My breeder is 5 hours away so I am learning a lot on my own especially all the grooming.

I showed for the first time on Friday (10th July) with my Field Spaniel Morgan. She won BPOB (by default) but went to mush in the group line up and didn't even get a second look. She was so naughty rolling around chewing on her lead, what an embarresment! My breeder is 5 hours away so I am learning a lot on my own especially all the grooming.

Glad to see I am not the only one :( I can soooooo see toby doing something naughty like going toilet and trying to eat it :eek: I took him to show training and he was okay with the other dogs but I am not sure how he will go with alot in one area. Prob try to bark and get them all to play. He is an only puppy at the moment so its all too exciting when we see other dogs.......

The shows locally have been a bit scarce so watching the process has been limited. Did the judge instruct you on what to do when, or did you just know?

Bec

Edited to add what a gorgeous puppy you have :).......and such a practical colour

Edited by angelsophie

Glad to see I am not the only one :laugh: I can soooooo see toby doing something naughty like going toilet and trying to eat it :laugh: I took him to show training and he was okay with the other dogs but I am not sure how he will go with alot in one area. Prob try to bark and get them all to play. He is an only puppy at the moment so its all too exciting when we see other dogs.......

The shows locally have been a bit scarce so watching the process has been limited. Did the judge instruct you on what to do when, or did you just know?

Bec

Edited to add what a gorgeous puppy you have :laugh: .......and such a practical colour

I've been to show training, and hung around at a lot of shows prior to getting a pup. So just knew what to do. Kind of helped that I knew the judge as she was originally going to be my cocker breeder but I ended up going with a Field. She made me feel relaxed and gave Morgan a really good experience in the ring.

Yeah the mud blends in :(

Sounds like a great start to showing. I didnt intend to show. I went looking for a great pet after we lost our "baby" 11yr old malt early this year. The lovely people of the Hav thread inc Toby's breeder, ever so GENTLY :( , encouraged me to give it a go. So thats what we are doing. I had been to 2 shows but payed attention to the breeds not the judging. The lovely lady who is holding my hand is owns the first Hav we met. Only had one locally since for me to watch. And one lesson only.

Bec

Hi I am Tithen, Im not sure when I will be first time in the ring, I only just got my puppy and be a month or more before he can go in the ring, and go to show training classes. I have been to a few shows to watch and learn though and will go to show training classes. I guess I am lucky I have the breeder living close by that I can go to for help and support and would most likely see her at shows as well.

poocow- where do you do the show training classes? I have been looking at a few but not really sure where I will go.

Well I FEEL like a newbie!

I'm hitting the ring again for the first time in about 10 years and as nervous as my very first time!

I'm starting again with a baby so at least I can hide my poor handling behind her behaviour... :(

Hi Angelsophie!

I am too a newbie to the show ring, and my best advice is to persistence and have fun!

I've only started showing 3 months ago and I can tell for the first time with Bella at the Junior Kennel Club show, Bella was awarded Reserve Challenge Bitch and also had to go in for Runner Up Best of Breed!

I appreciated everyone who came up to me and congratulated me and even the handler who I continuously go up against every time and I have a lot of respect for him! It's funny when the judge pointed to me twice, my jaws dropped to the ground and I was like "Thank you so much!" and had a bit of tears in my eyes, I just couldn't contain my excitement!

I love showing and I prefer to do that than be at home doing nothing or just sit on this computer all day watching dvd!

:( You will be fine..

Just let your steward and your judge know that you are a newbie and both will keep an eye on you and help you when and where ever they can!!

If you do not let them know then they will sort of expect you to know , so be sure to tell them...

Good Luck !!

:( You will be fine..

Just let your steward and your judge know that you are a newbie and both will keep an eye on you and help you when and where ever they can!!

If you do not let them know then they will sort of expect you to know , so be sure to tell them...

Good Luck !!

:laugh: I will although I am quite certain it will be very obvious lol

Do you show at hillsborough? I think I may have seen a "pug van" there similar to your siggie?

Bec

Hi Angelsophie!

I am too a newbie to the show ring, and my best advice is to persistence and have fun!

I've only started showing 3 months ago and I can tell for the first time with Bella at the Junior Kennel Club show, Bella was awarded Reserve Challenge Bitch and also had to go in for Runner Up Best of Breed!

I appreciated everyone who came up to me and congratulated me and even the handler who I continuously go up against every time and I have a lot of respect for him! It's funny when the judge pointed to me twice, my jaws dropped to the ground and I was like "Thank you so much!" and had a bit of tears in my eyes, I just couldn't contain my excitement!

I love showing and I prefer to do that than be at home doing nothing or just sit on this computer all day watching dvd!

wow. well done!!!!!. we are only in baby puppy both the dog and I can learn together :( its a competition who will disgrce the other the most lol. Just kidding. we are using at a way to learn the ropes with no pressure......well almost none......

poocow- where do you do the show training classes? I have been looking at a few but not really sure where I will go.

I go to Luci Ellem on Wednesday nights at Austral :( She also has a class on Tuesday nights.

Thanks! Oh forgot to mention, my pup was in Minor Puppy too!

But most definitely! It's all a learning experience and even Bella and I am still learning together, she seems to pick it up better than I do! XD

Let us know how you went at your first show!

My first show 7 yrs ago the breeder didnt tell me how to show my dog...just a vague 'run to where the judge says and get her to stand while the judge goes over her'

:laugh:

Also another person in my breeds male pee'd on my leg :laugh: LUCKY I brought other pants to change in to ....was not impressed!

It was a St Bernard breeder and Malamute breeder who gave me the best grooming and handling advice (thanks guys!) :(

Good Luck at your first show!!!!!

We go to our first show training class on weds (if it doesn't rain) and I am nervous about that, let alone going to an actual show!

Leo is very unmotivated and lazy, so we will see how it goes! lol.

We go to our first show training class on weds (if it doesn't rain) and I am nervous about that, let alone going to an actual show!

Leo is very unmotivated and lazy, so we will see how it goes! lol.

Whereabouts are you going to do show training?

:laugh: You will be fine..

Good Luck !!

:) I will although I am quite certain it will be very obvious lol

Do you show at hillsborough? I think I may have seen a "pug van" there similar to your siggie?

Bec

:):laugh: No I am down in Albury on the Victorian border, I only show in my local area with a trip to Sydney at Easter for the specials and trip to Melbourne also for the specials.......I do not show every w/e.....

I do have a 3 berth trailer only and no there is no pictures on it, so I guess you have me mixed up with some-one else :rofl:

Its like alot of breeds some people think Pugs all look the same but believe me they do not :(

I had Irsish Setters before Pugs and I got the same thing with them......... :)

:laugh: the dog on the right is my home bred

"GRAND CHAMPION Mandalay Kaptain Kaos" "Sherman"

Left is also home bred

"CHAMPION Mandalay Shanghi Suprize"

My Prefix is MANDALAY.....

But if you see me in any of the catalogues when you are at shows just come and say Hello....I don't bite.. :)