Puppy Feeding

anniejac

My Daughters two Staffy Pups are still hardly eating, she has tried nearly everything.

One of them looks okay to me but the other looks a bit on the thin side for a puppy.

Can they eat small amounts of liver yet? Thought they might like this.

Can they eat small amounts of Kangaroo?

I can't think what else she can try, everything she put's in front of them they seem to turn up their noses at.

They are 12 weeks old, had there injections last week, Vet seems to think they look okay.

My Daughter is worried they are not getting enough food, we are unsure what to do.

Thanks.

Are you sure your daughter hasn't created the problem by pandering to them? It is normal for a puppy to eat very little when it goes to its new home, this is normally caused by stress and the fact that they no longer have to compete for food with littermates. If the new owner doesn't realise this and starts hand feeding the puppy or giving it different foods to encourage it to eat you can create a fussy eater in no time at all. I'd give them whatever food you choose to feed them and stop chopping and changing their diet. If the two puppies are healthy they'll eventually eat once they understand that mum's not going to hand feed them barbecued chicken or scrambled egg if they refuse.

Edited by Miranda

such a varied diet over a few weeks the pups are not knowing a proper routine.

find a good food, stick to it. Put it down a 3 times a day then remove it. Let them know that if they dont eat out of their bowls then there is nothing else or you will create very picky fussy animals.

unless they are starting to border on the emaciated dont panic.

A well dog will not starve itself. Agree with Nekhbet.

Place the food down, give 15 minutes, then take away. No longer than 15 minutes and present the same food each time.

Now is not the time to swap and change or add treats. Wait until a routine is in place. And importantly a treat is just that a treat, not a regular habit.

have fun!

such a varied diet over a few weeks the pups are not knowing a proper routine.

find a good food, stick to it. Put it down a 3 times a day then remove it. Let them know that if they dont eat out of their bowls then there is nothing else or you will create very picky fussy animals.

unless they are starting to border on the emaciated dont panic.

Sorry to butt in on this thread! Just wondering, how long you would consider letting a puppy go without food. I have a lab pup - 11 weeks. I have had her one week. She will nibble a few bites and then walks away from her bowl. She is probably eating less than 1/4 of what she should be eating. She was a very well covered puppy when I got her, so I am not too worried at this point about her losing weight, she just isn't interested in her food, which is highly unsual for a lab!

I have just started giving her some nutrigel to try to stimulate her appetite!

Edited by shellbyville

How often are you feeding and how much? Pups up to the age of approx 6 months should be fed 3 times a day and if you are feeding raw they should be getting 10% of thier body weight daily.

What are you feeding? Are you feeding what the breeders fed or something different?

Are you feeding in sperate bowls or the same bowls? Pups should be fed in seperate bowls as you will never know who is eating what if you have more thne one pup.

What sort of bowls/dishes are you feeding out of? Puppies may be scared of certain bowls. Saucers are ideal as they are low and non reflective.

Put the pup in a confined spot to eat it's meal like a puppy pen or laundry. Place the bowl down and leave it there for only 10 to 15 minutes. If it hasn't been eaten then remove the bowl and food. Do not pander to them as this will make it worse. There is a theory of thought that pups/dogs shold see you preparing their food or if they don't see you preparing it you should pretend to eat some of it before you place it down for them to eat. The theory also involves not making eye contact with the puppy/dog once you have placed the food down.

How often are you feeding and how much? Pups up to the age of approx 6 months should be fed 3 times a day and if you are feeding raw they should be getting 10% of thier body weight daily.

What are you feeding? Are you feeding what the breeders fed or something different?

Are you feeding in sperate bowls or the same bowls? Pups should be fed in seperate bowls as you will never know who is eating what if you have more thne one pup.

What sort of bowls/dishes are you feeding out of? Puppies may be scared of certain bowls. Saucers are ideal as they are low and non reflective.

Put the pup in a confined spot to eat it's meal like a puppy pen or laundry. Place the bowl down and leave it there for only 10 to 15 minutes. If it hasn't been eaten then remove the bowl and food. Do not pander to them as this will make it worse. There is a theory of thought that pups/dogs shold see you preparing their food or if they don't see you preparing it you should pretend to eat some of it before you place it down for them to eat. The theory also involves not making eye contact with the puppy/dog once you have placed the food down.

hello puggy puggy

we have got a 4 month old male tan and black pug. i'm new to this dog forum, and i've just seen your pics and your

name, so i hope you don't mind if i can ask you a few things.

firstly, Snuffles (his name) stinks. i was washing him once a week, cause that's what you do ???, but within

one hour of washing, he still smelt the same dog smell. i've now been advised to not wash very often at all

as washing takes out their natural oil in their skin, and this gets replaced more often and will make him smell

again. but, if the smell is just too strong - like right now- i need to wash him. i've also been told to use

oatmeal soap...

also, the flappy bits under his eyes are red. it's like a rash, no lumps or bumps, just red. it's not annoying him

as he isn't scratching it. he loves smelling bushes and flowers ( not cause other dogs have weed there), it's more

than smelling other dogs. he'll reach up and smell flowers. anyway, could this be causing the rash. should i

got to his vet ??????????????????

omg i'm not used to having a puppy in the house. we used to have a long haired german shepherd, but we got

him when he was 3 years old..............and he died 10 years ago.

so i'm very new to this new little baby in the house.

thanks for listening

from anniejac's earlier posts..

She has tried lots of different foods, she first gave them what the breeder was feeding which was Eukanuba for puppies, then she tried chicken mince, beef mince, some tinned puppy food, a few vegetables, and they just don't seem to be really interested in much of it.

pups don't know what they are meant to be eating :rolleyes:

PLUS_ they know if they don't eat - something better/different will come along!.

Pick a GOOD food- either a complete ,tasty puppy kibble..... or a BARF mix. feed it out- leave it 15 mins. then remove bowls.Do this...with NO treats/bones/wings in between - for as long as it takes.

Have they been vet checked lately?

That might be a good idea .

shelbyville - what a dog should be eating is enough to keep it healthy and happy. Some dogs eat like pigs and stay thin, others eat little and are fine. Your dog doesnt need nutrigel, just keep up a routine and dont worry :rolleyes:

monica that smell could be bacteria on the skin, particularly if the skin is also red. Was the pup like that when you go it or has it happened recently? Also have you changed the diet and has it coincided with the skin problem? Personally I would cut out anything artificial, coloured, schmakos, treats etc and stick to the minimum - a good quality food and raw meaty bones.

If the dog is hungry... they will eat. no dog will starve itself.

My pup was the most pickiest eater in the world... but, I did what the others suggest.. put the food down for 10 minutes and take it away. He learned quick smart that he has to eat all his meals before Mummy take his bowl away.

Also, does she give her puppies enough exercise?

Because, the more they are exercise.. the more hungry they get. I only feed my pup twice a day (that's because I work in the afternoon and I always leave dry food out for him in the day time.... but, I always walk him before I feed him. He is usually really hungry after a good exercise session (usually walk and play session.. LOL). He has to work for his food.

Yep they need a routine & then work with it.

The reality is if there maintaining weight there eating something so your daughter & any of the household members need to be honest & fess up to the things the pups are given,that being treats,left overs,pig ears,bones etc etc.

One its established what they are getting then everyone needs to work together to make there eating habits enjoyable for the future because it wont get better.