Raw/natural Chitchat

i find using a bit of vets all natural complete mix in with whatever raw meat i am using usually chicken or blade steak,but i also add their vegies and whatever leftover's i have in with it. i dont live by vets all natural, but i find it saves me buying all the ingredients ( kelp and lecithin and such) its all in the mix. my 6month old girl has not a problem munching on a cold stick of celery or cold watermelon.

Ok playing devils advocate,by adding kelp in whatever amount ,how can you be sure you are not throwing their thyroid totally out of whack?

that why i buy vets all natural its all premixed to a vets specification. i didnt say make up my own amounts.

I have always been of the belief that the thyroid is something you don't mess with and really how many wild dogs eat seaweed? Surely they get enough iodine from organs...

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find using a bit of vets all natural complete mix in with whatever raw meat i am using usually chicken or blade steak,but i also add their vegies and whatever leftover's i have in with it. i dont live by vets all natural, but i find it saves me buying all the ingredients ( kelp and lecithin and such) its all in the mix. my 6month old girl has not a problem munching on a cold stick of celery or cold watermelon.

Ok playing devils advocate,by adding kelp in whatever amount ,how can you be sure you are not throwing their thyroid totally out of whack?

that why i buy vets all natural its all premixed to a vets specification. i didnt say make up my own amounts.

I have always been of the belief that the thyroid is something you don't mess with and really how many wild dogs eat seaweed? Surely they get enough iodine from organs...

geez i was just using those two ingredients of examples of whats in the mix. i didnt say i force feed the dogs seeweed no wonder people dont post on this forum they get executed. if id said there was rolled oats in it, i would have been in trouble for that as well. you feed your dog what you want and ill feed mine. im sure the amount my lot eat of kelp, they would be in more danger from the toxins coming out of a cars exhaust when we go for a walk. I'm not qualified to give an opinion on it, i leave the trust in the professionals, but my breeder has an honours degree in science majoring in zoology, and she gives her dogs vets all natural, so if it was going to damage the dogs in any way we wouldnt be feeding them that.

Edited by sandra64

geez i was just using those two ingredients of examples of whats in the mix. i didnt say i force feed the dogs seeweed no wonder people dont post on this forum they get executed. if id said there was rolled oats in it, i would have been in trouble for that as well. you feed your dog what you want and ill feed mine. im sure the amount my lot eat of kelp, they would be in more danger from the toxins coming out of a cars exhaust when we go for a walk. I'm not qualified to give an opinion on it, i leave the trust in the professionals, but my breeder has an honours degree in science majoring in zoology, and she gives her dogs vets all natural, so if it was going to damage the dogs in any way we wouldnt be feeding them that.

WOW talk about sensitive. I was questioning it because it is NOT needed. Yep you feed what you want to and your dog can get a whole load of additives it does'nt need and you can possibly screw with it's system. I am NOT bashing you but if you go and google information about feeding kelp to dogs and the pros and cons then that is my intention,not to upset you. Make sure to look for the cons too....this forum is all about sharing information and debating the postives AND negatives of things. Sorry but we are not here to agree with each other all the time,how damn boring would that be!

Oh and kelp IS seaweed . Oats won't make your dog psychotic but kelp can!

Execution is illegal in Australia as far as I know. So don't worry keep posting you are safe.

WOW talk about sensitive. I was questioning it because it is NOT needed. Yep you feed what you want to and your dog can get a whole load of additives it does'nt need and you can possibly screw with it's system. I am NOT bashing you but if you go and google information about feeding kelp to dogs and the pros and cons then that is my intention,not to upset you. Make sure to look for the cons too....this forum is all about sharing information and debating the postives AND negatives of things. Sorry but we are not here to agree with each other all the time,how damn boring would that be!

Oh and kelp IS seaweed . Oats won't make your dog psychotic but kelp can!

Execution is illegal in Australia as far as I know. So don't worry keep posting you are safe.

think i know what kelp is, i am allergic to iodine. Next time my dogs are having a great time playing in the surf, i will make sure they dont chew on any plankten.

Edited by sandra64

• 2 weeks later...

Once a fortnight I go to Woolworths to stock up on turkey wings/necks, lamb hearts and today even some kanga sausages for training treats, it's so embarrassing going to the checkout with this basket full of meat, I hope they don't think it's for me :mad , all I had for us humans was a loaf of bread.

, I hope they don't think it's for me :( , all I had for us humans was a loaf of bread.

LOL, me too. When I turn up at the butcher at the markets and buy pork tails, chicken feet, goat liver and lamb hearts....... :cry:

• 1 month later...

Where are all the barf feeding dolers gone :party:

I just thought that since I have been feeding complete raw, my dogs have gloomed from nose to tail :thumbsup: Their coats are just glossening(sp), and they are just so much happier. Our new little girl is on the barf diet too and I have noticed a significant change in her coat colour. From a light fawnny red to a nice rich red. They love tucker time and are always in their crates waiting for their dinner. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Hi yellowgirl. I love this forum. Thank you so much for this link. Dr Ian Billinghurst virtually says exactly the same in "Give Your Dog a Bone" . We fed our old Lab, Jake, on this Science Diet rubbish for the last 5 years of his life because our vet recommended such. His health gradually declined to the point and this is just one example, he ate his own faeces and the neighbours cats faeces on a daily basis.

This frustrated us so much as he was an inside boy. When I asked our vet why he would be doing this he wouldn't answer. The anwer is very simple. His diet was lacking in vitamins and nutrients because of the dry commercial rubbish we were feeding him and so Jake knew in himself this. He died a horrible very painful death (he was taking very strong human pain killers in the end that didn't even work) and we are both having a hard time living with the fact we could have done so much better for him diet wise. Ever since I have been obsessed with researching & learning as much as I can about nutrition for our new baby Lab, Jangels that we bring home next Saturday. We will never buy commercial dog food again and we won't be taking any vets word as gospel. (And we will be changing vets after 11 years.)

Thank you and every one else for all your diet suggestions and your thoughts.

Most dogs will snap up a cat poo given the chance - bit like truffles for dogs, they'll snuffle their noses thru dirt or kitty litter looking for them :o

I still won't agree that Raw/Barf is the be all and end all - however i'm glad it works for those it works for and in it's varieties. For my GSD's the only time 'raw/barf' works for them is when it's 98% bones and if i remember to throw them some liver etc (they refuse kidneys). If done by the books etc they get skinny and out of condition (even with being fed 3-4 times the recommended amounts) :confused:

Does anyone in Brisbane know where I can buy 20 to 30kg of good quality fresh chicken frames that have not been frozen into a 5kg block ... I don't like the idea of partially defrosting and refreezing raw chicken.

Also - does anyone know where I can buy rabbit on the southside?

Has anyone else had issues with their dog throwing up raw meat? Is there any way I can still feed BARF with this problem? At the moment the only food Bambi can eat is Eagle Pack Holistic (the duck one) and I'm so scared that they might change the recipe and she won't be able to stomach it anymore. I've tried sooo many types of kibble and wet, and she can't eat it. Will I maybe have to cook the meat? I know I can't cook bones tho... ARGH!

Has anyone else had issues with their dog throwing up raw meat? Is there any way I can still feed BARF with this problem? At the moment the only food Bambi can eat is Eagle Pack Holistic (the duck one) and I'm so scared that they might change the recipe and she won't be able to stomach it anymore. I've tried sooo many types of kibble and wet, and she can't eat it. Will I maybe have to cook the meat? I know I can't cook bones tho... ARGH!

my daaughter dog has the same issue so can only be fed kibble. i have no idea why he throws up raw meat, any type makes him do this.

i will be really interested in responses.

My mum has a dog that often throws up when she eats red meat, but she is fine on raw chicken.

You can safely refreeze meat for human or animal consumption as long as it was thawed in the fridge. If I'm going to thaw something, break it up and refreeze, it thaws in the fridge. Usually takes about 24 hours for it to get thawed enough to break up.

Does anyone in Brisbane know where I can buy 20 to 30kg of good quality fresh chicken frames that have not been frozen into a 5kg block ... I don't like the idea of partially defrosting and refreezing raw chicken.

For the good quality chicken frames you could try Jack Purcell Meats @ Virginia? He had heaps there on Friday in 1kg bags that were very meaty and a bargain

buy 1 bag and get 2nd free.

There's a seafood shop right next to durack grounds(next to the servo on the corner) they have frozen rabbits. Thats the only one i know of

Tilly - try your local Leonards...but give them a call and ask if they can put aside 30kg or whatever...i

ve brought trolly loads in the past usually packed into bags of 3-4 frames and all unfrozen? (that was at the store at the upper mt gravatt Target shopping centre tho) Worth a shot if nothing else.

Hey all this is a great thread!!

Im thinking of making the plunge into raw for my old boy 15 this yr and still going strong! he is a wire coated JRT bitsa this and Bitsa that hahaha

He loves his necks and bits for breakie but i think i will struggle with removing his RC dry as i will worry that at his age if i stuff up the feedig raw i will kill the poor baby :cheer: Stupid i know.

Fingers crossed after a while i can give it the flick... like it was once called in here at arounf page 3 or 4 - days ago for me reading lol dry kibble is like the old convienient friend lol

Thanks heaps Yellow this thread is an ode to ur love of ur babies :laugh:

anything i cna add specific for arthrits? poor old boys back legs are on the way out :champagne:

ETA: i will be using vegies much to thomas' dusgust lol but i want to be sure and i know that he loves a bit of veg as well and i like to keep him happy :laugh: Any specific recipes anyone wants to share for their veg?? i was thinking i would make a mix of whats currently in season and add the liver and kidney in there as well as i know he doesnt like it, and the egg as well :)

Edited by kirst_goldens

I used to feed raw but then meat jumped in price and I went back to kibble, but my boy just had to have his glands done today by the vet so I'm feeling guilty and thinking of going raw again. I read somewhere else that you can feed your dogs chicken wings (raw), I always thought they would be too brittle for dogs. Does anyone else feed them or heard of anyone who did and had problems?

Also, I'm in Perth so does anyone know of a good place to purchase cheap meat either human or pet grade?