Raw/natural Chitchat

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just rung them and they will also keep me the oesophagus so how much would they need of that. SHe hopes that her husband knows what the stomachs are as she doesn't :thumbsup:

I'd count oesophagus as muscle meat. My pup gets about 1/3 of her raw as red muscle meat (including heart), and about 10% as green tripe (when I can get it), 5% is beef liver, 5% is ruminant kidney, 1/3 is edible raw meat bones, and the rest is made up of assorted goodies like raw eggs, fish, other organs, porridge, veges, and fruit. But other people will do different things. There's no one way to feed a dog, and with adult dogs, you do get quite a lot of lee-way as many dogs do well on a variety of diets. With pups, you need to be a bit more careful that they're getting all the nutrients they need, and that they're getting the right amount of calcium, and the right Ca:P ratio.

You can tell which stomach is which by the pattern of the tissue lining them inside, and by their location, and their shape and size. The reticulum has a really obvious honeycomb pattern inside, and the rumen has little blunt papillae on the inside walls, these are first and are large, and are closely joined together. The omasum has folds like a book, and comes next. The abomasum is last, it looks just like a monogastric stomach (like a human or dog stomach), with wrinkles and folds inside. If you google, there are photos of the insides of all the stomach compartments on the net.

Edited by Staranais

Thankyou ever so kindly Staranais. I will pass on the info and will add it to their diet tomorrow.

I have just made a vegie mix and it looked quite tasty till I added the eggs and now it looks like mush. Smells alright though.

Sorry for all of the questions but I have been wanting to do this all natural for a while. My boy (and the other 2 just not as bad)has got allergies so having a go all natural.

If I was to add chicken mince, what would that come under?

Just to add, after the dogs not having dry for 2 days now, the scratching has subsided a little so theres hope...

Sorry for all of the questions but I have been wanting to do this all natural for a while. My boy (and the other 2 just not as bad)has got allergies so having a go all natural.

If I was to add chicken mince, what would that come under?

Just to add, after the dogs not having dry for 2 days now, the scratching has subsided a little so theres hope...

Depends what's in the mince. If it's minced chicken carcasses or necks, then it's a RMB. If it's minced meat, then it's meat (make sure you feed lots of red meat too though, especially to the puppy). If you don't know exactly what's in it then I personally wouldn't feed it, especially not to a puppy.

The chicken mince will be chicken carcuss, necks and wing tips. I specifically asked what he put in it and if anything else like preseratives etc He said nothing other than carcuess, necks and whatever else I wanted in it...

And as my dogs are not eating their bones, this will work in rather well.

Thanks again for all your help and I will let you know how they all go......

Well I have just fed the dogs their dinner and :rofl:

Vegie mix consists of:carots,brussle sprouts, celery, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, alfalfa sprouts, bananas, sweet potato, and apples, with added vinegar, kelp, rosehip, eggs, all well mixed and my lad decided he didn't like the apple and spat ONLY the apple out and ate the rest :laugh:

He also does not like chicken livers as he did the same with the beef/chicken liver mix....The s........d The other 2 loved it and were waiting for more...

Well I have just fed the dogs their dinner and :rofl:

Vegie mix consists of:carots,brussle sprouts, celery, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, alfalfa sprouts, bananas, sweet potato, and apples, with added vinegar, kelp, rosehip, eggs, all well mixed and my lad decided he didn't like the apple and spat ONLY the apple out and ate the rest ;)

He also does not like chicken livers as he did the same with the beef/chicken liver mix....The s........d The other 2 loved it and were waiting for more...

;) Kei doesn't like liver either and will pick it out given the chance so I put it in the rocket bender, whiz it into a paste and then mix it all in with his roo mince, vegies and yogurt (and a scoop of Sachas Blend to hide the taste a bit). Works well :)

With your vegie mix do you blend it into a really fine mush? That way they can't pick anything out.

If you are looking for some good info on raw feeding try the Dr Billinhurst BARF books. I found them really useful when I was starting out. Sounds like there would be a lot of helpful info in this thread too, but I was too lazy to read it all :o:(

With your vegie mix do you blend it into a really fine mush? That way they can't pick anything out.

yes i blended the all of the vegies up in my blender, and as i added eggs, it was like mush. The vegies looked smaller than if you would grate them and he still managed to spit the apple out ;) Bloody smart a....s is all I can say.

Just to add, my dogs coats were quite good while they were on the mix of kibble/raw but after only a few days on complete raw, their coats are glossening, and their scratching frenzoes have subsuded heaps...

Thanks everyone this is such a wicked thread and just to let you know, I have just finished all pages and as my printer has no ink, my hands are tired and I have used 6 sheets(both sides) of a-4 paper now I just have to put it all together :(

yes i blended the all of the vegies up in my blender, and as i added eggs, it was like mush. The vegies looked smaller than if you would grate them and he still managed to spit the apple out

How did he distinguish the apple from the rest of the slops? :( It should be so pulped and blended that everything is mixed together and undistinguishable.

Many dogs don't like offal the first time but they get used to it. Try it again and again untill they eat it.

Ha, your guess is as good as mine :( With the offal, he ate the beef live but not the chicken liver and they were also fed together and in the saem size chunks so ;)

I forgot to mention that he is still quite sensative around the base of the tail region(you scratch it and he gos made)and although has subsided quite a bit, he is still eating himself during the day. So is there anything else I should do or just wait for a while longer as he has only ben a the complete raw now for 3 days...

I had a problem with fleas also a few weeks back but have since deflead the cats(brining fleas in from next door)and have done the dogs once with frontline and was going to do them again in the next couple of days.....My kids check them every night(kids love doing it as they love hearing the fleas pop ;) )and my boy doesnt have any on him at all, well that we can find anyway..

yes i blended the all of the vegies up in my blender, and as i added eggs, it was like mush. The vegies looked smaller than if you would grate them and he still managed to spit the apple out :( Bloody smart a....s is all I can say.

Hi SBT101

The vegies should be much, much smaller than when you grate them -they should be almost liquid. If you can do this it should be impossible for anything to be picked out ;)

Puggy puggy has a fantastic recipe for vegie slops that has been posted in one of the threads here before -not sure where it is but I'm sure that if you PM her she could point you in the right direction...

*sp

Edited by SecretKei

So is there anything else I should do or just wait for a while longer as he has only ben a the complete raw now for 3 days...

It can take weeks for the body to detox. You are not going to see results over night. Give it at least a month or more and I am sure you will see an improvement.

I think my lot are loving their new all raw diet....

When i used to feed them kibble, it would be in the morning with a bone also and they would eat the bone(most of the time)and leave most of the kibble. If I had to go out, I would wait and give them brekky then.

But now, when I let them out in the mornings, they go for their toileting duties, then it is straight back in their crates "whats on the minue for brekky this morning mummy' And my 9 month old girl will bark till you give it to her. Do you think they are loving it or what :cry:

I decided to mince up the liver and kidney together tonight to see how they would take it, well my boy anyway. And wulla, they ate the lot :confused:

Now I have another question for you. On the 2% ratio, my boy seems to be loosing a little and my 9 month seems to be gaining a little to much, So I have dropped her's back but with my boy, I want to add more fat. So what I need to know is how much of each meat would you mix up for his meat meals.

The meats consist of roo, camel, donkey, beef. How much % of each would I add for one mix...

Thankyou

Well so far so good. Except for the vegies, my lot are loving their new diet. I have upted my boys to 3% of his body weight and dropped back the other 2 to 2%.

Iwas thinking about getting a mincer but I decided to try the meat in the blender and that worked really well. So now their meat mix consists of donkey, roo, camel and beef.

Their coat is still improving also and they are hardly scratching now.... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

We are in our third week of raw feeding (ok, mainly raw with a little EP Holistic... :) ), and it's going well, but none of my crew will eat liver.

Beef liver, sheep liver, chicken liver... won't eat it, no matter how I prepare it (apart form dried liver treats!). I have tried hiding miniscule amounts in their meat and veggie mix, but then they just don't eat any of it!!

Any advice please? :confused:

We are in our third week of raw feeding (ok, mainly raw with a little EP Holistic... :) ), and it's going well, but none of my crew will eat liver.

Beef liver, sheep liver, chicken liver... won't eat it, no matter how I prepare it (apart form dried liver treats!). I have tried hiding miniscule amounts in their meat and veggie mix, but then they just don't eat any of it!!

Any advice please? :confused:

With new sorts of offal I usually lightly fry it to make it more attractive. After a couple of goes like that my lot will happily take it raw. I think they need to get used to the texture as much as anything.

We are in our third week of raw feeding (ok, mainly raw with a little EP Holistic... :thumbsup: ), and it's going well, but none of my crew will eat liver.

Any advice please? :rasberry:

Have you tried processing it in a food processor and mixing it with yoghurt? Or sardines mushed up?