Raw/natural Chitchat

I have been lurking in this thread for a while, and you have all insipred me... today we started to make the switch to raw :thumbsup: !

I made veggie slops (it was actually quite fun!) and have put it into little freezer pots. The slops today contained broccoli, carrot, an apple and sweet potato.

I already feed lots of raw meaty bones (lamb flaps, chicken carcass or lamb neck every day), and they get a whole egg (including shell) twice a week.

I feed Vet's All Natural Omega Blend (mix of oils) 3-4 times a week.

They get sardines once a week.

Tonight, for the first time, they had veggie slops mixed with roo mince (about 1:6). They LOVED it!!! I have never seen them eat so quickly!

I will keep up with the daily bones, twice-weekly eggs, Omega Blend and sardines.

Is there anything obvious I am missing or should cut out?

Is there any point to feeding rice?

Do I need to add/delete anything for my 32kg 9 month old pup? (They are Deerhounds)

Thank you all so much for the inspiration! :laugh:

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything obvious I am missing or should cut out?

Is there any point to feeding rice?

Do I need to add/delete anything for my 32kg 9 month old pup? (They are Deerhounds)

Thank you all so much for the inspiration! :thumbsup:

Pups usually just need more per day than adults but can be the same food.

What you are planning looks good to me but I would also add some offal for probably 1 meal a week. With my guys they have it instead of a bone once a week. I tend to use liver or heart for this. Some say heart is a muscle meat not offal and stick purely to liver and kidney for the offal meal.

Hi, I'm looking to add some mince into my 14 weeks old corgi's diet. He's currently getting Proplan puppy kibble and chicken frames chopped up to appropriate sizes. The kibble and frames are separated to different meals.

My questions is, should I use

1. puppy mince

2. some beef or kangaroo mince(pet grade)

3. Human grade beef or kangaroo mince.

I've heard puppy mince can be a little fatty. I was thinking of human grade as in it's more lean and he already gets some bones in the form of chicken frames.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Than you.

Hi, I'm looking to add some mince into my 14 weeks old corgi's diet. He's currently getting Proplan puppy kibble and chicken frames chopped up to appropriate sizes. The kibble and frames are separated to different meals.

My questions is, should I use

1. puppy mince

2. some beef or kangaroo mince(pet grade)

3. Human grade beef or kangaroo mince.

I've heard puppy mince can be a little fatty. I was thinking of human grade as in it's more lean and he already gets some bones in the form of chicken frames.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Than you.

If it were me, I'd steer clear of anything labelled "pet grade" and only go for human grade. :thumbsup: I've never heard of puppy mince. Can you give me more info please ?

If it were me, I'd steer clear of anything labelled "pet grade" and only go for human grade.

I prefer the pet grade mince our butcher does, as it's not just muscle meat. He also adds offal to it, which makes it more complete for the dogs.

edit ... Colour to show edited/added/changed parts of the recipe as we go along. ;) :laugh:

* denotes changes to original amounts or ingredients

2kg mince (lamb, turkey, beef or pork - combo of two) (can also add heart as another nutrient rich muscle meat)

1 kg veggies (minced) (might still reduce the amount - more research -post #8)

3 eggs -whole, raw, including shell (minced)

150g liver (minced) * liver now increased to 200g PLUS 200g of other organ eg. spleen, pancreas, brain, lung, kidney, etc

150g sardines * increased to 250g sardines

400g tuna * tuna changed to salmon & reduced to 200g

2 cups rolled oats (was deleted at first, then after more research reduced to * 1 cup :( ... still researching -post #8)

splash of olive oil * changed to tablespoon of Wheatgerm oil

tablespoon of granulated garlic * garlic reduced to a flat dessertspoon

1/2 bunch fresh parsley (minced)

(green tripe is looking like a good addition too)

Bones every 2-3 days (fat/skin trimmed). Most lamb bones particularly necks; chicken wings or legs; turkey wings. We've had a few issues of trial and error and these seem to be the ones they do best with.

Hi there,

I have been interested in the raw diets for quite some time too but havent known what to use in them so I have been feeding pet grade chicken mince from lenards. I have only just found this thread so I apoligise if this has been asked already I have not read all pages.

With those ingredients how many days food do you get?

Are you feeding 2 small dogs?

How would you recommend me introducing this to my dogs? Would I mix it in with there food that they get gradually?

Thank you

Hi there,

I have been interested in the raw diets for quite some time too but havent known what to use in them so I have been feeding pet grade chicken mince from lenards. I have only just found this thread so I apoligise if this has been asked already I have not read all pages.

With those ingredients how many days food do you get?

Are you feeding 2 small dogs?

How would you recommend me introducing this to my dogs? Would I mix it in with there food that they get gradually?

Thank you

Hi Atua :eek:

This amount fed my two dogs for about 3 weeks. They have bones too. Sarge weighs 6kg and Madeline is 7kg. I'd make up a large batch and freeze it in smaller bags. I use the past tense because since opening my preservative-free pet food store I haven't made up this particular batch. They now have 'Fido's Formula' which is what I make up at the shop. It's a mix of chicken, beef & lamb, heart, liver, fish, rolled oats, veggies, garlic and a few other yummy things :( . It's working really well for them and I'm getting excellent feedback from customers too :)

If you're planning on switching to raw for your dogs, I'd say just go for it! Don't worry too much about doing it gradually. Just add some veggies, fish, etc to their mince and some lamb necks to chomp on and you'll be off to a great start :rofl:

Jo

xx

ETA - Oh, I forgot to add ... it looks like this thread is in pretty good hands these days :D . Keep it up guys. It's so great to see a thread where everyone is helping each other :rofl: . And sharing the fun of feeding raw :)

I don't have the time to post much lately, but I do try to at least check in most days. Love the pics too! :)

Edited by yellowgirl

Thanks Oonga! :laugh:. I've posted some pics of the shop....

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=178421

It's still very much in the beginning stages but I'm really happy to be giving it a go :( . The dogs are just loving coming to the shop with me and meeting the customers ;) . Luckily they are healthy and happy and are a great advertisement for preservative-free food :(

xxx

:cheer: OMG, I started to read your thread with the upmost interest but a few hours later and I am on page 18(will go back over the rest tomorrow as it is now 12:10am)You guys are wicked :laugh::):):)

I have been feeding both dry(yea i know) and raw forever but got converted a few days ago.

I have only just started and I do know that you feed 2% of their body weight....

Their diet consists of:

roo mince

donkey

liver

heart

kidney

vegetable mix(zucchini, carrot, squash,apple,broccoli)will be adding more tomorrow

chicken carcuss + chicken wing tips

eggs, yoghurt, linseed oil, kelp, rosehip

I will go on a previously(proportions) stated diet but does anyone know anything about donkey as all i know is has got a good fat content.

Am going to go and get some chicken mince(carcuses) tomorrow(well today) from leonards but fresh as the last batch I got(some time ago) was off :cheer: .

Oh and I might be able to get some tripe as I have asked my local pet supplier and I need to talk to them tomorow about it. And it has to be green right?

I will be getting an new addtion next week(8weeks) so will I start her off on dry and raw and then just wean he?

This is an awesome thread. I have learnt so much.....

My butcher does pet mince which is mainly tongue and all the scraps minced together. Yum

Yes, pet grade doesn't mean humans can't eat it, it just means they probably wouldn't want to.

I'm not sure about that, actually, Gayle - I guess it would be true if it's the individual butcher deciding to sell his scraps as pet food, but I've been told that meat that is condemned at the works is usually sold as "pet meat" to butchers, pet food manufacturers and supermarkets. Meat gets condemned for aesthetic reasons, but also for things like parasite cysts found in the meat or the animal being found to have some sort of disease. If I were buying pet quality meat, I'd be extra careful to freeze it before feeding it in case some nasties had slipped through.

That's just what I've heard though. I'll come back in report in a few years after I've had my compulsory stint on meat inspection at the freezing works in vet 5th year (ugh, not looking forward to it!), and can let you all know first hand exactly where the pet grade meat comes from. :laugh:

Any recommendations on types of bones? My dogs seem to be absolute gannets or lazy, they will swallow large chunks of bone and then they vomit for a day getting rid of the bone they have swallowed, they have done this twice now so no more till I know what is going to be suitable. I would hate for them to get a bowel or gastric outlet obstruction!!! Certainly no more brisket or anything that has small pieces of bone. They will happily chew through chicken necks, turkey necks and lamb shanks without a problem.

Joyce

Edited by Miz J

Any recommendations on types of bones? My dogs seem to be absolute gannets or lazy, they will swallow large chunks of bone and then they vomit for a day getting rid of the bone they have swallowed, they have done this twice now so no more till I know what is going to be suitable. I would hate for them to get a bowel or gastric outlet obstruction!!! Certainly no more brisket or anything that has small pieces of bone. They will happily chew through chicken necks, turkey necks and lamb shanks without a problem.

Joyce

I give my dogs a frozen chicken carcass every day. :thumbsup:

OK, well I have still havent read all the pages,YET, as I have been out shopping :laugh: I can get some tripe (beef)but....

Can you let me know what would be the best sort(propably stupid question but I have no idea)ie: the intestines, just the stomach and as it is from a cow which has 4 stomachs, do I get all four or just 1 and if so which one :thumbsup: My pet meat store has never done it before either as they normally toos it out so we know about as much as each other :confused:

They informed though that they now have camel meat and wow, it looks good enough for me(not that I would)

Camel-not as high in protein as roo, not as much oil as donkey and they do it in bags mixed with beef. I am thinking this might be ideal for our new addtion next week?

Also please be careful of chicken mince from leonards as I did hear that they also add alot of sugar, additives and other crap.......

The local supermarket meat manager is going to do me 12 kilo's of minced chicken frames, necks and wing tips....So wicked...

OK, well I have still havent read all the pages,YET, as I have been out shopping :laugh: I can get some tripe (beef)but....

Can you let me know what would be the best sort(propably stupid question but I have no idea)ie: the intestines, just the stomach and as it is from a cow which has 4 stomachs, do I get all four or just 1 and if so which one :thumbsup: My pet meat store has never done it before either as they normally toos it out so we know about as much as each other :confused:

Don't get the abomasum (last, or true, stomach), I'm not sure if this can be safely fed or if a dog would like it, but it won't have the nutritional content of the forestomachs in any case. I wouldn't bother with it.

The first three stomachs (rumen, reticulum and omasum) are all very good to feed, and are what people mean when they refer to green tripe. Your butcher may know the reticulum as honeycomb tripe, the rumen as smooth tripe, and the omasum as book or bible tripe. These are the fermenting chambers that the grass passes through before it gets to the "true" stomach, they should be full of good bacteria and partially fermented grass.

I'm not sure about the intestines (= everything past the stomach), I guess I see no reason not to feed a little if your dog will eat it, but it won't have the nutritional value of the green tripe. I probably wouldn't bother with it. Oesophagus is good too, but it will count towards your muscle (not organ) part of the diet as it's just a muscular tube.

Thankyou. And it isn't the butcher Im getting it from, I did ask them but they said no way as they only do white tripe..

Now is there a wasy way to know which is the first, second and third stomach? I am about to give my supplier a ring so I need to know my self just incase they dont know either...

ANd how much would you feed?

Also does anyone know anything about camel meat as I have they have just got some and they rate it very high.....

Also could you please let me know what % of each meat should I make up for 1 kilo.And would a say 9 month old and a 8 week old need more fats than a 2 + 3 year lod?

Sorry but my brain is hurting and I cant work it out?

Roo,

Donkey,

camel/beef mix(mainly camel)

chicken mince

heart

liver,

offal mix(except liver)

:thumbsup: