August Photography Challenge - Everyone Welcome!

Ashanali

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

love you third one bindi and great shot lea!

i dunno if this one would be classed as backlit or not... pity the leaves are in the way

SUC51631.jpg

I'm not sure BUT* I think it is - Gorgeous cat :love: :love:

ETA : BUT*

Edited by Roxy_n_Axle

trying to get a backlight one but ended up more like a silouette, :love:

thanks rna,

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

ETA: so i've changed lenses and a few settings and now they are blown out :love: what am i doing wrong?

DSC_0015-1.jpg

ETA AGAIN: So i took this one at 4:45, can someone please tell me which one of all these is most correct? If any...

DSC_0021.jpg

Edited by WildatHeart

Loving everyone's photos!!

I've decided to set a different challenge for myself this month (Month of Single Shots - only allowed to take one shot - no second tries!). But I will be trying to get a few of these shots in this month.

Edited by TerraNik

Just a quick play with curves and texture... the image attached isn't the best edit but made a small difference.

Your problems are easily solved. The sun doesn't have to be exactly behind your subject like an eclipse. It can be off in the corner and out of the frame, but essentially you will have sun then subject then photographer rather than subject photographer sun. You have the right idea but you need to move around a little and perhaps wait until it gets just a little bit later.

Blowing out is perfectly fine and totally normal. The camera is going nuts trying to equalise the background as it takes up the majority of the image.

post-162-1249374323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ashanali

a quick and crappy diagram.

This shows the lighting set up.

The sun can be anywhere along that back line... it can be high, it can be close to the horizon (lower means more colour in the background). You don't have to have your subject actually blocking the sun. The sun doesn't even have to be in the image, it can be totally out of the frame. You just want the sun to be generally behind your subject... as opposed to a 'traditional' lighting situation.

:cry:

Hope this helps.

post-162-1249374937_thumb.jpg

:cry:

Loving this so far!!!

Particularly your sunburnt country Lea

and the last shot of your gsd WildatHeart!

and Ashanali - like your post-production on WaH's 2nd to last gsd shot :o

JusticeScales - I've always loved that first tree shot!! and the 3rd house shot with the rainbow streaks is nice as well

Wolfsong - gorgeous cemetery shots

Bindi-Boo - love the wheat/grass seed ... cool Church Spire and dandelion!

Kirislin - love those flying birds, really cool! and the other one? white woolly weeds?

piri - love those sunsets in fiji :cheer:

newfsie - lovely moon and lake shots!! the colours in that first shot, the moon & reflection and all those dead trees - love it!

RoxynAxle - I like the shots in the Japanese garden and your silhouettes :cheer:

In photoshop.

I did a curves layer increasing the contrast

burnt in his head

I created a mask to lighten his head but keep the contrast

then I added a texture layer and faded it.

I know it sounds complex but it took me about 2 minutes... that's how you know I've been doing this waaaaay too long. :thumbsup:

out of my dogs Texas came up best backlit :) ... either that or by the time I got around to Texas I'd realised that the lens is best if it's in the shade (in Texas's case - his shadow) 'cause otherwise the shot gets totally washed out - that right Ash? or just that the sun/light source is probably best kept from being centered?

If I had a tree (not in shot) shading the lens but still pointing directly into the sun would this result in a washed out shot?

3791122759_5020f7447a.jpg

3791935176_2cf14a8d83.jpg3791934874_a803b6126b.jpg

Chester appears quite washed out even after a little editing?

3791933326_48ac0c2237.jpg

3791120837_6c1547178e.jpg

:)