Best Collar

Okay guys, now my little man is growing up and we are showing (well we've done one show :heart: ) and we have also started obedience training. I dont want to damage his coat, but I want to train him and we walk, go to school and pick up the kids ect

Preferably funky. Suggestions??

ta in advance

Bec

I would suggest the same or similar lead to that which you show on, but a plain one if you have a bling show lead.

And DON'T leave a collar on at all between shows or you will almost certainly lose hair.

i would suggest a rolled leather collar for a long coated dog - just make sure it is finished well with no rough sections.

Martingale would be good for on lead walking but i wouldn't leave it on a coated dog when off lead

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Whilst I might show a dog on a slip martingale, I would never use a collar on a coated show dog. There is usually too much rubbing and it will affect the coat around the neck.

I do however agree with the training. When I had my Lhasas and Lowchen, they were walked on either slightly thicker check chains than what they were shown on, or cloth martingale type slip leads.

I use martingale style, flat nylon collars on my Lowchen. I especially like this style as it's easy to find the 'loop' bit when putting them back on lead after off lead training exercises.

Collars_0091.jpg

I would certainly not train for obedience/agilty etc on a show lead.

I have not had damage from these collars, I've been using them for qutie a few years now and are my regular 'walking' collar for the dogs.

I don't leave collars on the dogs when not training.

Oh I should mention I use another collar on my "babies".

I buy the suede buckle collars which kramar was distributing for a while there. They can be a bit hard to find without the stretchy panel, so if I see them for sale I buy up as many as I can :love:

GretchenRedcliffe_0240.jpg

I use these for lead training and puppy walking because they are lightweight and soft. Young puppies go to their new homes with their collar, to continue the lead training that I have started.

Definately dont leave the collar on all the time, only when training, and in the car.

I used one of the Kramar soft collars for Cruise when he was younger, most of the time I use a 2 ring slip lead for walking on (i have a plain one for walking, and a bling one for showing/show training)

I have border collies and I don't leave collars on them unless we are out somewhere. They usually wear martingales or check chains for walking and check chains for showing. I find if you leave a collar on the dog all the time you get broken hair or the hair gets worn away abit in the area where the collar is.

i have collars on all my show dogs all the time being weimaraners and LH weims i have never had a problem. on my show (now not showing)Eurasier i used a rolled Kangaroo leather collar and never a problem. i awlays collar my dogs to be safe incase they got out ect.

Claire

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Whilst I might show a dog on a slip martingale, I would never use a collar on a coated show dog. There is usually too much rubbing and it will affect the coat around the neck.

I do however agree with the training. When I had my Lhasas and Lowchen, they were walked on either slightly thicker check chains than what they were shown on, or cloth martingale type slip leads.

I agree, I use a thick cloth Martingale lead for my Cavs when out and about and a fine showlead at shows. They wear NO COLLAR at other times. There coats are not long around the neck but are fine and silky so I'm sure it would leave a mark if they had a collar on.

When I did obedience with my Schipperke she wore a fine check chain during training and usually no collar at home whilst indoors, but since it was pre-microchipping days (1980's) she had a rolled leather collar with I.D. tag on when out in the yard whilst I was at work.