They Want To Operate On My Puppy!

It might be just kennel cough... it might not be kennel cough. Be guided by your Vet but also talk to them about your concerns and the fact that you feel surgery should be the last option. It does appear to sound a lot more like kc than a blockage though.

If she is still pooing then I would have my doubts that it would be a blockage. With a blockage she may still be happy to eat but might feel uncomfortable after doing so.

Does she have any soreness in her gut area when they prod and poke her? How often did she throw up? Is she eating normally? Did the vet conduct barium xrays? What are the blood tests for? (to test for pancreatitis and a full blood panel?)

$2,000 seems like alot for the surgery. I just had a pug that had to undergo emergency surgery as she had bits of bone stuck at the distal end of her osophagus. She was kept at the vets from 8am till 7pm under obs and having barium xrays on one day which I think cost approx $500. The next day she was in there again at 8am had xrays, then was put under and an endascope used to try an dpush the bones down into her stomach. With this failing her abdomon was cut open and an incision made in her stomach through which they were able to remove the bones from her osophegus. I was able to beg them to send her home that night so picked her up at 8pm. Total cost for that day was approx $1,100. I think the surgery was only about $800.

That does sound more like kennel cough at present- purely on what I've read !

When Hamlet had a blockage in his gut he certainly vomited frequently, but there was no coughing, just foul smelling sour stomach content :thumbsup:

he had diarrhoea which was bloody, he was unhappy and hunched occasionally. Not at all interested in food...

he was 4 days at the vet total- had parvo test first,then normal Xray- which didn't show anything comclusive, due to the blockage being leaves etc...then a stomach scraping, then barium Xrays, then had surgery to remove the foreign bodies (leaves/sticks)(and a castration) then a few days in hosp on a drip- until he was eating/pooing..

I can't remember the cost- but it was nowhere near $2,ooo.

Edited by persephone

Guest Willow

$2000 sounds about normal....I just spent nearly that amount on my rabbit....she had three days in hospital & an exploratory laparotomy.

Someone else mentioned it I think, but I would have thought they would have done barium x-rays too, if they thought there might be plastic that would not show up on an x-ray.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Thought i will post an update onhow my staffie is doing..

She is ok now, happy as ever, eating, chewing and pooing, still acting crazy..

The vet did 3 xrays and found nothing in her stomach, her stomach and intestine looked perfect so they didnt operate her and pinned it down to kennel cough.

Dog stopped throwing up after we left her at the vets for xray...

by evening, she was all normal, no cough, no spew..

total bill: $600 :thumbsup:

but thank GOD she is ok and we didnt have to cut her open.