Intercepter/sentinel

Red Fox

Time to order new worming tablets and I've noticed that both Intercepter and Sentinel have changed from tablets to chews.

Is there much of a difference between the two, or any change in palatability? (for the dogs I mean :thumbsup: ) Is it still the same formula?

Ah so they're chicken flavour now? (tablets are beef). Maybe not such a bad thing after all :laugh:

Was debating whether to grab the tablets again (as the few places that still have some left are clearing them out cheap now), or to try the new chews out. Just don't want to be stuck with a 12 month supply of something he hates :p Maybe I'll grab the 3 pack and try em out...

I hope they are better tasting (for the dog) than the tablets, I used to have to wrap them up with a piece of ham or something similiar or my ridgeback Holly would spit it out. :p

:thumbsup: I just spread mine both sides with cheese spread and he eats it no worries. Sounds like the chews might be a bit tastier though :cheer:

We've had a few (clients) dogs who won't eat Drontal chews so I was hoping they weren't going to be like that. :eek:

My dogs weren't that fond of the Sentinel tabs but they ate them regardless, the chews are a bit more popular.

It's very hard now though, for those dogs that won't eat any chews, or have severe allergies - only options are Proheart Tabs or Milbemax Tabs.

I think the chews are a couple or so dollars more expensive. I have another 2 months worth of sentinel before im due to get more so I think I will have to get the chews next. I got some tablets off ebay not too long ago, but most on there are chews now. My girls have no trouble taking the tablets so I dont think the chews are going to make much of a difference :eek:

Haven't tried the chews yet, but I bought two six packs. Petbarn in NSW and ACT (not sure about other states) have the 6 pack chews on sale. I got the large dog ones (i.e. Interceptor white) for around $35 a pack. They're on sale until 9 September, I think.

You could always consider Daily Dimmitrol tabs for heartworm prevention and use an all wormer every 3mths.

Heaps cheaper. 100 of 200mg tabs through the Vet Shed is only around $7.00. I buy 5 containers so got 500 tabs for around $40.00 and the allwormers were about $2 a tablet.

Easy to remember daily as I keep container next to dog's meal dishes.

You could always consider Daily Dimmitrol tabs for heartworm prevention and use an all wormer every 3mths.

Heaps cheaper. 100 of 200mg tabs through the Vet Shed is only around $7.00. I buy 5 containers so got 500 tabs for around $40.00 and the allwormers were about $2 a tablet.

With the daily tablets, what happens when a dog becomes ill for a day or two ?

My Vet has advised that the dog can still be given the daily dimmitrol tablets if the dog is ill as it only is in the system for 24 hrs anyway however is the dog was seriously ill and quarantined she would withhold until the dog recovers, blood test at her cost and then recommence dimmitrol.She said that dogs can safely miss 1 day od dimmitrol without having to re-test.

I would rather only use a daily tablet than put a whole months worth into my dogs bodies

Edited by InspectorRex

Guest belgian.blue

Where do you buy heart worming chews?

Need to get some this weekend but don't want to be driving around looking!!

Hmm, I've thought about it a few times but I'm too worried I'd forget. With the monthly tablets I put the sticker on the calender each month to remind me and even if I do forget I still have a few extra days to give the tablet.

$2 is cheap for an all-wormer tablet. I've been paying $10 a pop for the cats all-wormer at the vets so I'll be looking into that!

I buy all my stuff online. Mainly from Vet n Pet Direct as that's where I get my cat food from, or otherwise Priceless pets because it so cheap. No driving around for me :confused:

My Vet has advised that the dog can still be given the daily dimmitrol tablets if the dog is ill as it only is in the system for 24 hrs anyway however is the dog was seriously ill and quarantined she would withhold until the dog recovers, blood test at her cost and then recommence dimmitrol.She said that dogs can safely miss 1 day od dimmitrol without having to re-test.

I would rather only use a daily tablet than put a whole months worth into my dogs bodies

It's not a months worth. Your dogs always have dimmitrol in their systems, so not sure what the difference is there. :cry:

Missing and restarting daily tabs without testing is a lot more dangerous than missing a few weeks or a month of milbemycin.

Guest belgian.blue
$2 is cheap for an all-wormer tablet. I've been paying $10 a pop for the cats all-wormer at the vets so I'll be looking into that!

I buy all my stuff online. Mainly from Vet n Pet Direct as that's where I get my cat food from, or otherwise Priceless pets because it so cheap. No driving around for me :driving:

Found it online for under $4O with delivery. Drove past a Better Pets and Gardens .. curious on the price and if they stocked it.

The guy wanted to do me a deal because I told him I could buy it much cheaper online but he sadly couldn't match such a large gap!

Found it online for under $4O with delivery.

Oh cool, thats cheap! Where did you find it?

The cheapest I've been able to find was Vet n Pet direct- $39 for a 6 month supply of Intercepter tablets at clearance price, the chews were $46 (or $28 for the 3 pack) :driving:

eta: those prices don't include delivery

Edited by SecretKei

I have yet to miss a Dimmitrol daily tablet yet and have been using Dimmitrol for 1 year now.

The monthly ones have milbemycin in them and my Breed is Ivermectin Sensitive( had DNA's done and know they are affected) so the daily tablets are the way to go.

My Vet is really good and if I did happen to miss more than one day she will do the blood test either free or minimal cost. I WOULD never not re-test if a dose did happen to be missed, which is highly unlikely given that I keep the Dimmitrol

tablets right next to the dgs diner dishes.

Google The Vet Shed- prices are superb and stuff arrives within 2-3 days.

I would much rather use the daily tablets as i know I am not overloading their systems with higher dose tablets that are given on a month basis.