Bad Ear Sunburn & Insect Damage

I was hoping someone might be able to suggest something that might be able to help an old dog get some comfort from very badly sundamaged ears. White old Bull terrier x, the tips of his ears are gooey and oozing some days. He seems to be in quite a bit of pain from them and of course all the insects just love them, which makes him want to shake his head and that hurts even more.

He's been to the vet, but just recommended an insect repellent. Due to his age, surgery to remove the sundamaged flesh isn't an option.

Can anyone suggest any products that might help the sun damage heal a little or at least someway of easing his pain a bit? And maybe what people recommend for fly repellents on ears, keeping in mind his open wounds?

Poor old boy :rofl:

depending on what other flea treatment chemicals he has in/on his system..I would recommend PERMOXIN..sprayed locally every few days !! Works amazingly well here..we have heaps of flies.

CAUTION TOXIC TO CATS.

If the wounds are infected/oozing..may I suggest a few days treatment of the dreaded purple/pink spray..CETRIGEN.....(before using the permoxin) used mostly for horses and farm animals... but containing antibacterial AND insect repelling ingredients :) Only trouble is the BRIGHT colour :) b

wouldn't the permoxin sting??

I have used it on flybitten ears,and it doesn't seem to sting... the dogs don't mind it at all...

Obviously the best for this old boy would be to keep him out of the sun, and inside away from insects, but if that's not feasible... once his ears have healed a bit.. some good sunscreen with insect repellant in may be very useful .

I found that daily application of Paw Paw Cream worked the best on our Amstaffs bad ears. You had to do it at least once a day, twice was better in summer. I put it on thick, like vaseline, and it helped to heal and keep the flies off.

paw paw cream can be found in supermarkets/chemists/outdoor /camping stores....

ETA. I have tried it- but the dogs found the stickiness annoying... plus when they lay down it collected dirt (no lawn/concrete here:P )

It is good stuff tho! :p

Edited by persephone