Editing Images

persephone

Editing photos  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you routinely edit images post -camera?

• Only some of them
    • yes, but I'm not sure why
    • Of Course!
    • No, I'm a purist :P
    • No- don't have a program
    • yes, I shoot RAW so apply the edits I choose
    • No.
  2. 2. How much editing do you do?

• redeye
    • cropping
    • lighting
    • colour tweaking
    • exposure tweaking
    • sharpness
    • curves
    • removing unwanted objects/backgrounds
    • EVERYTHING
    • as little as possible
    • What's editing??
    • Don't do any
  3. 3. Do you regularly rely on editing?

• yes.. I am not sure of my camera
    • yes.. I can never get exposure right
    • yes.. they just look richer and better after editing
    • yes... I can 'tidy up'
    • I don't 'rely' on it.. but prefer edited images
    • No.. I like what my camera produces, but I will fix glaring errors
    • No. I am a purist .
    • No- I choose to not edit

Thankyou, but not if they're going to whinge about the title. Seriously, if people are more than satisfied with their prefered choice of medium, why in god's name get so defensive about it? The mind boggles.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. PS can also be used as a workflow tool. I have recently discovered scripts and they are awesome.

Are scripts like actions?

Yep. Very handy for things such as creating proofs for clients, we can use a script rather than creating an action. Takes about 30 seconds to set up a script as the information is all right in front of you, no having to record the action and testing it first.

Sorry for the hijack here for a minute...ok, I clearly need to figure out what these things are :champagne: Can you save them to use over and over, like actions? My proof thing is an action at the moment. I'll get online when I have a few minutes to see what the difference is and how the heck to use them. And here I thought actions were pretty cool :champagne:

I find this argument really petty - they're two different mediums. Chalk and cheese.

Raz, the medium is the same - photography. Some people stop at the camera, some choose to make great SOOC photos frickin' awesome in post production. :champagne:

As for 'defensiveness', i thought it was pretty well explained, it's all there if you can be bothered to go back and read it. It pretty much came about when Rubiton took it upon herself to assume that people who choose to edit are doing so because they're not 'getting it right' in the camera and the insinuation that editing = a less competent photographer (my reading).

. PS can also be used as a workflow tool. I have recently discovered scripts and they are awesome.

Are scripts like actions?

Yep. Very handy for things such as creating proofs for clients, we can use a script rather than creating an action. Takes about 30 seconds to set up a script as the information is all right in front of you, no having to record the action and testing it first.

Sorry for the hijack here for a minute...ok, I clearly need to figure out what these things are :champagne: Can you save them to use over and over, like actions? My proof thing is an action at the moment. I'll get online when I have a few minutes to see what the difference is and how the heck to use them. And here I thought actions were pretty cool :champagne:

I'll start a new thread about scripts

As for 'defensiveness', i thought it was pretty well explained, it's all there if you can be bothered to go back and read it. It pretty much came about when Rubiton took it upon herself to assume that people who choose to edit are doing so because they're not 'getting it right' in the camera and the insinuation that editing = a less competent photographer (my reading).

My interpretation was 'for her' getting it right, poo. Not anyone else. Misinterpretation? I dunno.

My brother is a professional cinematographer. He says - they're like my children - both completely different but I love them equally. Even so, he's moved back to transparencies for his photography. So what - that's what gives him the results he's after. And really - the 'my way is better than your way' is, as I said - Petty.

My interpretation was 'for her' getting it right, poo. Not anyone else. Misinterpretation? I dunno.
Sounds like it works well for those who choose to use lightroom etc.

I prefer to get what I want when I take it - thats the challenge of photography to me for the photos I take.

Nothing wrong with either method if it works though.

Dunno, still reads like a comparison of two distinct methods to me, which, like Kja has already said, 'getting it right in camera' has nothing to do with post prod.

My brother is a professional cinematographer. He says - they're like my children - both completely different but I love them equally. Even so, he's moved back to transparencies for his photography. So what - that's what gives him the results he's after. And really - the 'my way is better than your way' is, as I said - Petty.

And i'm still shooting negs with my recent discovery of the joys of rangefinders. Raz i'm not sure which 'both' you are/he is referring to - film and digital, RAW and Jpeg or editing and no editing?

And i'm still shooting negs with my recent discovery of the joys of rangefinders. Raz i'm not sure which 'both' you are/he is referring to - film and digital, RAW and Jpeg or editing and no editing?

He's talking about film and digital, Poo. Not sure it really matters, though. Old school, new school...RAW, jpeg...editing, no editing. I still dont have an answer to my initial query re the argy, and the argy happens every time (disclaimer, I'm not just talking about this forum). If people are happy with their own choice, why the need for hissy fits - and this thread alone caused a hissy fit large enough for someone to delete posts and leave the forum, let alone the person who took umbrage to the term purist.

eta keep in mind the most entertaining posts re the argy were nuked.

Edited by raz

He's talking about film and digital, Poo. Not sure it really matters, though. Old school, new school...RAW, jpeg...editing, no editing. I still dont have an answer to my initial query re the argy, and the argy happens every time (disclaimer, I'm not just talking about this forum).

I do all of the above in bold, i don't have any issue with what people choose to do with their work. As far as i can tell, no one's throwing hissy fits about other people's choice not to edit - the issue (well, mine anyway), i'll repeat again, is with the assumption that non-editors have that editors do so because they can't 'get it right in camera'.

If people are happy with their own choice, why the need for hissy fits - and this thread alone caused a hissy fit large enough for someone to delete posts and leave the forum, let alone the person who took umbrage to the term purist.

I must've missed something - who's deleted posts and left the forum?

I can't figure out what there is to debate. To me, photography is an art form. Art is created through creativity and it takes on many forms and uses many mediums.

There is no 'right or wrong' just art.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

I can't figure out what there is to debate. To me, photography is an art form. Art is created through creativity and it takes on many forms and uses many mediums.

There is no 'right or wrong' just art.

How I see It too,

It's a matter of personal taste too, What works for some may not work for others, what looks great to some,

may not look that crash hot to others.

I didn't do the poll, but I enjoy editing most of my pics :)