Training Treats

I too am a huge fan of happy paws treats. My GR LOVES them. Also very good on her stomach as she has a sensitive stomach.

:laugh: for the support. I now have rabbit treats on the product menu. ;) Depending on the demand, I'm also thinking of working on supplying goat, venison, kangaroo etc. Let me know if you'd be interested in treats from this type of meat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a vote from us for Happy Paws treats :laugh:

Rommi loves the fish ones, we will try Rabbit next time - we would be interested (in time) to try your other flavours as well, we like lots of variety ;)

Chunkers no longer cut the mustard in our house - since happy paws!

Roast chicken, left over sausage, beef, chicken

And for my old girl, sausage cut up, then soaked in the juice from a tin of sardines

I too am a huge fan of happy paws treats. My GR LOVES them. Also very good on her stomach as she has a sensitive stomach.

:thumbsup: for the support. I now have rabbit treats on the product menu. :o Depending on the demand, I'm also thinking of working on supplying goat, venison, kangaroo etc. Let me know if you'd be interested in treats from this type of meat.

We'd be more than happy to try the kangaroo! Charlotte will eat anything and everything if she could :)

Gotta say though fish gave her farts and burps something terrible. We were in obedience class doing our stand for examination one by one, instructor went to do the examination and she let off a MASSIVE burp! :)

Excuse my useless brain, but what is Venison? :D

Apologise if I'm doubling up but while Bronte will eat anything, her fav is roast chicken breast, which I then cut into tiny cubes. Its a big messy to train with, but soft so it goes down quick and you can get on to the next thing you want them to do.

I generally use this at dog club and other treats when I'm just training around home/streets, helps her attention span.

It's abit messy, but I get the best foucs when I use raw Chicken necks. With Bondi I let her have a little nibble/tug on them, instead of giving her the whole thing after each exercise, so it doubles as a food reward, and play.

It's abit messy, but I get the best foucs when I use raw Chicken necks. With Bondi I let her have a little nibble/tug on them, instead of giving her the whole thing after each exercise, so it doubles as a food reward, and play.

You are so brave I couldn't do that, I can't even handle them without gloves on when bagging up or feeding out. Raw meat just feels awful!

I like nice feeling treats!

Ok, I found great training treats today. I was at my local Chinese supermarket and they had dried whole anchovies (heads and all) - a big packet for $2.50. Well, I tried them out on Daisy today with great success :rasberry: they aren't too stinky, and although they are dried aren't really brittle - they are almost chewy (I didn't eat one, but that's what I deduced from trying to break one in half).

Normally I can't use dried treats when I get Daisy working in drive because she doesn't chew and just swallows, and then they get stuck in her throat and she coughs them back up. But because the dried anchovies aren't that brittle she doesn't seem to have a problem :D

I should have gotten a few packets!

Edited by huski

Hmmm...sounds good, not too salty - maybe they don't preserve them with salt?

I hear you about the stink....I used sardines the other day and pong!!! I could smell it on my fingers for ages.

Hmmm...sounds good, not too salty - maybe they don't preserve them with salt?

I hear you about the stink....I used sardines the other day and pong!!! I could smell it on my fingers for ages.

Sardines are tricky as they tend to disintegrate so easily!

Lately I've been using cooked beef sausages chopped into tiny pieces, but I ran out the other day when I left them to defrost in the sink and the cat ate the whole lot :rasberry:

Was it Shandi that ate the sausages?

I have a cat that is the spitting image of the cat in your post. He weighs 8.5kg and I could imagine him nicking a beef sausage :D

We use Ziwipeak fish and venison - my dog has a very weak gut for anything fatty - poor kid starts vomiting and it will go on for hours with him retching.

He was badly starved before he became a RSPCA dog.

It is probably off topic but recently someone said it could be his liver....I would love to sort it out, for him and for me.

Edited by Mym

Ok, I found great training treats today. I was at my local Chinese supermarket and they had dried whole anchovies (heads and all) - a big packet for $2.50. Well, I tried them out on Daisy today with great success :love: they aren't too stinky, and although they are dried aren't really brittle - they are almost chewy (I didn't eat one, but that's what I deduced from trying to break one in half).

Normally I can't use dried treats when I get Daisy working in drive because she doesn't chew and just swallows, and then they get stuck in her throat and she coughs them back up. But because the dried anchovies aren't that brittle she doesn't seem to have a problem :love:

huski,I'm sure you checked it but just be careful of the salt content. The other day i brought packet from a korean supermarket to put in miso soup and they are generally very high in salt. Not sure whether it is the same as the ones you brought.

We use Ziwipeak fish and venison - my dog has a very weak gut for anything fatty - poor kid starts vomiting and it will go on for hours with him retching.

He was badly starved before he became a RSPCA dog.

Check out the happy paws ones, they have many different types and have no fat. Just a thought to have the possibilty for some different treats from time to time for doggies with sensitive tummies :laugh:

Ok, I found great training treats today. I was at my local Chinese supermarket and they had dried whole anchovies (heads and all) - a big packet for $2.50. Well, I tried them out on Daisy today with great success :) they aren't too stinky, and although they are dried aren't really brittle - they are almost chewy (I didn't eat one, but that's what I deduced from trying to break one in half).

Normally I can't use dried treats when I get Daisy working in drive because she doesn't chew and just swallows, and then they get stuck in her throat and she coughs them back up. But because the dried anchovies aren't that brittle she doesn't seem to have a problem :laugh:

huski,I'm sure you checked it but just be careful of the salt content. The other day i brought packet from a korean supermarket to put in miso soup and they are generally very high in salt. Not sure whether it is the same as the ones you brought.

I did check and the back of the packet didn't stipulate how much salt was in them - I licked one (ew ew ew) and it didn't taste very salty.

Jeepers, I haven't checked this topic for awhile and theres a bunch more ideas!

I've been using fresh cooked chicken on Kobe the last few days and he LOVES it.... swapping between that and the liver..... going to order some treats from Happy Paws this week... still debating what to get though...

Fish.... erm, well Kobe absolutely loves sardines but there's no way I'm handling those as a treat :)