Litters Due: October 2009

jerojath

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to say that I think I'm going to have to make a very hard decision about Purple soon. She is so far behind Pink in many respects that I am questioning myself as to whether it is fair to her to keep on battling. I keep telling myself that she had a very rough start so it is natural that she would need to do some catching up, but then when I look at Pink who is so big and fat AND incredibly sassy, there is really a very obvious difference in Purple and not just in size. :rofl:

Anyway, here they are with their first grown up haircuts....

Purple (you can even see the immaturity in her photo here when compared with Pink who LOOKS like a Yank puppy now). :D

purple-3weeks.jpg

Stinky Pinky who is an absolute clone of her NORTY Daddy in more ways than I really want to admit! :laugh:

pink-3weeks.jpg

Sometimes I really believe she IS struggling Aziah. Other times she just sleeps all the time. She's just not "right" IYKWIM. I'll be taking Koda to the vet over the weekend for a last check (can't believe she can go any time after Sunday) so I think I'll take Purple with me and see what he says.

I don't think she's in pain, she's just not thriving. :laugh:

Hopefully I'm wrong but hydrocephalous came to mind with her eye set.....

Have you seen that in Cavs Gretel???

The other thing I thought of was a problem with the diaphram. I had a pup with only the vestiges of the diaphram. The vet repaired it.

But he had to be hand reared from about 3 weeks because if he put his head down he could not breath had to bottle feed upright.

I gave him to a wonderful family and he died of something else at 9 years.

Hopefully I'm wrong but hydrocephalous came to mind with her eye set.....

Have you seen that in Cavs Gretel???

The other thing I thought of was a problem with the diaphram. I had a pup with only the vestiges of the diaphram. The vet repaired it.

But he had to be hand reared from about 3 weeks because if he put his head down he could not breath had to bottle feed upright.

I gave him to a wonderful family and he died of something else at 9 years.

Yes a friend bred a pup years ago who was very small. She seemed okay but when I saw her when she was getting a little more grown up her head looked all wrong and her eye set was strange. I suggested a vet visit and that was the diagnosis. She kept her alive until she started to suffer and then I took her to be put to sleep. It was so very sad :thumbsup: I figured it would be easier for me than for my friend though.

Congratulations to all the new arrivals since I have been on here, Beagles and Puglets.

Ellz Purple is such a cute baby but I see what you mean compared to Miss Naughty Pink.

I have every confidence that whatever is right for her, that is the way it will have to be, you must have a sinking feeling when you look at her when she is not doing what a normal baby does and the not knowing is the worst possible thing.

I wish all those girls that are about to pop a very safe delivery of beautiful babies.

Here is a couple of pics taken today of my seven after their 1 pm feed.

They are nine days old today, cannot believe that, I am touching wood but they are such contented babies and are lasting up to five hours between feeds, they are such little piglets at the milk bar, I am sure they could not squeeze another drop into their little tummies.

post-6593-1258541660_thumb.jpg

It's not hydrocephalus. I've actually seen that in my breed and it presents quite differently. Her head shape and eyeset are really very normal for a Yank puppy....but more like a Yank puppy of 2 weeks, not 3 weeks. It is like she is developmentally delayed but I'm still thinking it is more to do with a lack of oxygen than anything else and I still wonder if it is all stemming from her delayed birth and the length of time spent in the birth canal combined with the amount of fluid she had in her.

I've made an appointment and will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. :laugh:

It's not hydrocephalus. I've actually seen that in my breed and it presents quite differently. Her head shape and eyeset are really very normal for a Yank puppy....but more like a Yank puppy of 2 weeks, not 3 weeks. It is like she is developmentally delayed but I'm still thinking it is more to do with a lack of oxygen than anything else and I still wonder if it is all stemming from her delayed birth and the length of time spent in the birth canal combined with the amount of fluid she had in her.

I've made an appointment and will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. :laugh:

:laugh:

Thanks Aziah.

My vet was great. He didn't charge me for the consult and he spent ages with us. We weighed both girls. Alice (Pink) was 1kg and Purple was only 400 grams so you can get an idea of the difference in size/weight. It was very obvious from comparing the two girls that Purple just wasn't doing it easy. She was essentially a 1.5 week old puppy in an almost 4 week old litter. Alice was growling and barking, and wagging her tail and poor little Purple was just trying hard to stay awake. ;)

He feels that I am probably right about the retardation from lack of oxygen. Possibly coupled with either a porto-hepatic shunt and/or vascular hardening as a result of being so waterlogged at birth. He said that I had done all the right things, that I didn't prolong any discomfort by keeping her alive this long because he doesn't think she was in pain, quite the opposite, her nervous system was just not developing and that she would have no doubt improved dramatically until she hit a certain stage and then would have started going rapidly backwards. And that's what happened this week when they hit 3 weeks. It was just so obvious that she wasn't progressing.

As soon as we'd made the decision this morning BB, I thought of you and your angels and knew that Purple would be just fine with them.

Alice is sleeping quietly by herself in the pen at the moment. She looks lonely. I'm resisting the urge to pick her up and squish her......she's sassy enough as it is without becoming a REALLY spoiled little princess. ;)

Vanni is doing the bare minimum of mothering now....she wants to go outside and be a dog again. I can't believe how easily she has breezed through this. I'm wondering if I need my head read for thinking about putting her back in whelp next season (for a PLANNED breeding this time!!).