Great Barko

Pete.the.dog

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nala you can also pick up Uncle Albers from World for Pets on Windsor road as you head out to Hawkesbury pound. They keep plenty on hand as Pixie and I are always in there (with 8 dogs between us to feed) and beg them not to stop keeping it.

O.k great thanks :eek:

Maybe the real basics of the problem is, owner puts food down,

dog goes and has a sniff and say's that's different and walks away.

Then we hear my dog won't eat it.

I mixed mine with the last of the Cop Rice to wean them onto it.

I didn't have problems but the dogs knew their something new in with it.

But then, I'm a tough old bird and just told the dogs to lump it or like it.

I also made a point of not putting out meaty bones and chicken frames

just to make sure they did eat it. Yeah I'm a meanie. :eek:

Completely agree!!! People are way too soft on their dogs.

When I have switched foods, all my dogs turn their noses up at it for the first few days. Tough cookies I say! It gets put on the ground for 10 mins - if they dont eat it they go hungry until their next meal. It doesnt take long for them to realise if they dont eat what they are given they go hungry.

Dogs need to have a leader - and making them eat what they are given is part of establishing yourself as the pack leader. If you pander their their every whim, they are establishing themself as leader and you will end up with a huge number of behavioural problems!

I guarantee if you follow the above method - strictly - your dog will eventually eat the food and get out of the habit of being so damn fussy!

When I have switched foods, all my dogs turn their noses up at it for the first few days. Tough cookies I say! It gets put on the ground for 10 mins - if they dont eat it they go hungry until their next meal. It doesnt take long for them to realise if they dont eat what they are given they go hungry.

Dogs need to have a leader - and making them eat what they are given is part of establishing yourself as the pack leader. If you pander their their every whim, they are establishing themself as leader and you will end up with a huge number of behavioural problems!

I guarantee if you follow the above method - strictly - your dog will eventually eat the food and get out of the habit of being so damn fussy!

He's never been fussy before. And I played it tough for 3 or 4 days before I started to really worry about him starving! He was running out of energy when we went jogging and that concerned me.

He's never been fussy before. And I played it tough for 3 or 4 days before I started to really worry about him starving! He was running out of energy when we went jogging and that concerned me.

Dogs won't starve themselves. They eat to live, not live to eat. Their tastebuds aren't as developed as ours and if they won't eat something it's more likely that they don't want to rather than they don't like it. Humans are dogs' worst enemies in that regard.

just to make sure they did eat it. Yeah I'm a meanie. :thumbsup:

Dogs won't starve themselves. They eat to live, not live to eat. Their tastebuds aren't as developed as ours and if they won't eat something it's more likely that they don't want to rather than they don't like it. Humans are dogs' worst enemies in that regard.

They certainly are! No dog will starve themselves - unless they are extremely ill.

It took my old girl 7 days of not eating a full meal to get the message. She certainly was not starving :rofl:

Wow that's certainly great value, I get 15kg of Eagle Pack for $115 as it's one of the super premium bags. The price of GB really makes me want to change over, but the fact that my girl does so well on Eagle Pack would stop me from changing over until her condition drops or something. I love the Hollistic food having no grains etc, she has no allergies, super shiny coat, great condition, great poos and hardly ever farts.

GB sounds good for a budget food, though

I consider it good for even a non budget food...lol - i have access to 'better' stuff at a reasonable price...but i've not had any issues with GB and will stick with it unless i get another pup - likelyhood is they will get it once an adult as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had Gabby on GB for 2 months now. No problems changing over from Hills. My 7 month old boxer will eat it if she has left any and he hasnt had any issues with it either. Skin, coat and digestive tract all OK. Her weight is stable. They do have raw diet for about 50% but that was the same when she was on the Hills. Wont be putting the pup on it for a while, he can stay on the premium stuff, should just increase his raw diet and supplement with GB when hes in a growth spurt. Going to grab a bag of Uncle Albers, I know Gab wont starve shes a living hoover!!!

Really guess that it depends on the individual dog, Gabby has a cast iron gut and wil eat anything, Henry wont eat much offal, loves veg, fruit and sardines. Both my dogs are in good health so will continue as is unless their needs change. The cost of the GB is pretty good.

My lot ate Great Barko, but only because they had to. Since I changed to Uncle Albers they have been back eating with gusto.

Is the only difference between Grea Barko and Uncle Albers the meat type ?

I see Great Barko is Breef & Lamb and Uncle Albers is Beef and Chicken. I prefer Lamb over Chicken for my Boxer so i went with Great Barko.

I see Great Barko is Breef & Lamb and Uncle Albers is Beef and Chicken. I prefer Lamb over Chicken for my Boxer so i went with Great Barko.

Uncle Albers has a slightly higher protein content 24% as against 22%.

Uncle Albers has a slightly higher protein content 24% as against 22%.

o.k thanks. I'll see how I go with Great Barko.

I just bought a bag of Uncle Alber's; $27 for 22kgs. My boys had a taste of it last night and wolfed it down. But then they are like that with most foods; being the breeds that they are :thumbsup: Will have to wait and see the effects of the food.