Age For Neutering

pete cassidy

Hi Folks, Our cavalier king Charles pup is 14 weeks, We recently arrived back from the u.k. where the policy is not to neuter until 1 year. Here in Australia it appears to be 5-8 months. Our Cav is a little different inasmuch as his testicles are up inside and haven't dropped as of yet. I would be interested to get a general consensus on the topic.

PC

2drul4o.jpg

post-31087-1253206522_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't have a male puppy neutered until he was full grown - closer to 12 months than 6 for a smaller breed.

Physically it is possible to have a male pup neutered at 7 or 8 weeks old but it's individual choice as to whether this is a good thing or not. I would suggest google and look at the pros and cons in addition to what is said on here.

His retained testicles may come down yet, has the breeder shown you what to do to help the situation? If they don't come down they are at risk of becoming cancerous, but you have a long-ish lead time on this and it won't happen in the next few months. His neutering op will also be more expensive and difficult to retrieve the retained testicles (more along the lines of a spay than a castration.

OMG... he is toooooo cute!!!

I got Charlies neutered when he was 6 months old. I wouldn't get him neutered earlier though.

It's a personal choice really.

if they don't drop, get them removed... healthier for the dog in the long rung :rainbowbridge:

I found this link just b4 getting Tilba & waited until she was 14 m/o to be spayed which was 4 mths after her 1st/last season.

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

I believe it's best to wait til 18 mths for a male but as his testicles haven't come down you may need to have it done sooner. Ask your vet for his opinion.

He's such a cutie, but you know that already.

I generally recommend having the boys done at around six months old but if he's testes haven't dropped by then I'd leave him a bit longer to see if they do. It makes for an easier op if they don't need to go hunting :( There is a Cavalier thread in the breed threads in general if you want to pop in and chat ;)

Depends who you ask!!

Research I have found suggests that if you get it done before they are mature, they may grow taller but there shouldn't be any more risks or complications when compared to mature desexing. So this means, there is no difference getting it done at 10 weeks, 6 months, etc.

However, some people prefer to wait until they are mature (after 12-18 months depending on breed).

Our local council requires us to have a certificate saying the dog is desexed when they get registered with the council, which is meant to happen at 6 months. I think they don't mind that much if you hold off and get their registration a bit late, but it's something to consider.

Corvus - Is that mandatory or is it just more expensive if your dog is entire? My local council just charges a lot more for entire dogs (unless you have a breeding permit) but you can still register them, and that has to be done by 6 months.

Males, leave as close to a 12 months as possible. His retained may drop anytime up to 6 months. However the longer it is not dropped the more chance there is it will be retained. When you say retained, are they in the tubes and moving up and down or still in the abdomen?

They do need the testosterone for development. If he gets too much trouble earlier because he is a whole male, then re-evaluate the issue then. There is also chemical castration you can do between 6-12 months of age until you get him desexed if he develops behavioural issues because he is entire.

I personally don't see how a retained testicle will be much of a problem if the dog is between 6-12 months of age. If left entire for a couple of years, then yes, I can certainly see issues. Best to ask your vet on this one. I have heard of testicles dropping at 6 months of age.

Females I have no problems desexing at 5-6 months. Some people do not have the facilities to cater to a bitch on heat. Depends on the lines. I have had some bitches come into heat around 6 months and others not until after 12 months of age.

6 months here. The testicles can take till 6 months to drop. But I would have him seen by a vet who knows what he's looking for. Can end up with big complications if not dealt with.

Not sure about small breed, but the larger breed I like them to be done way before the 10 month mark. Hormones start to take hold and you will get the stronger urine, habits kick in. Just easier for all done early.

I had Benson neutered at 4 1/2 months. He is now 2 1/2 years old and has developed like any other medium-large breed male. He's at the top end of height for the breed standard, but he is built to match his height. Broad chest and shoulders, good bone, big masculine head. He pees like a boy, has a big deep masculine bark and is dominant over the entire female here.

The only difference I can see (aside from the obvious) is that he doesn't have a seasonal coat drop and he has slightly less of a neck ruff than an entire Australian Shepherd male, but that could also be that he's bred from working lines and they traditionally have a more moderate coat than show lines anyway.

He has a gentle, sweet, tolerant nature and that hasn't changed since he was a puppy.

Corvus - Is that mandatory or is it just more expensive if your dog is entire? My local council just charges a lot more for entire dogs (unless you have a breeding permit) but you can still register them, and that has to be done by 6 months.

No, they just charge a lot more. I got Kivi done at 12 months and he had one descended testicle that had astonished everyone by going back up into his abdominal cavity. He was a mess after the op. Very sore. Both of Erik's are descended now, but if I had my time again with Kivi I would have given him another few months to see if they came down.

It seems that everyone has a different oppinion when it comes to desexing.

Our contract suggests that we should desex our (large breed) dog between the ages of 9-15 months. His breeder prefers that males are allowed to grow and develop before they are desexed. Her contract for the girls asks for desexing between 5 and 9 months of age.

Her vet (whom I was speaking to today) thinks the the optimal age for desexing is before 6 months.

My vet here prefers to wait until the dogs are minimum 4-6 months before desexing.

Many other breeders will desex their pet puppies before they leave for their new homes.

There are as many answers to the question as there are people that you ask!

My personal choice is to wait until my boy is around 2 years old before we desex him. Luckily (for me) his breeder is more than happy for me to do this :laugh:

eta: Retained testicles are a whole other issue though so probably best to follow the advice of your vet and breeder. Hopefully they will come down in their own sweet time :) If not they will definitely need removing.

Edited by SecretKei

It seems that everyone has a different oppinion when it comes to desexing.

Our contract suggests that we should desex our (large breed) dog between the ages of 9-15 months. His breeder prefers that males are allowed to grow and develop before they are desexed. Her contract for the girls asks for desexing between 5 and 9 months of age.

Her vet (whom I was speaking to today) thinks the the optimal age for desexing is before 6 months.

My vet here prefers to wait until the dogs are minimum 4-6 months before desexing.

Many other breeders will desex their pet puppies before they leave for their new homes.

There are as many answers to the question as there are people that you ask!

My personal choice is to wait until my boy is around 2 years old before we desex him. Luckily (for me) his breeder is more than happy for me to do this :laugh:

eta: Retained testicles are a whole other issue though so probably best to follow the advice of your vet and breeder. Hopefully they will come down in their own sweet time :) If not they will definitely need removing.

I would just like to say thank you all very much for your personal input on the neuter subject, i would also say well done to the administrators for a great site. Thanks again

PC.

Thought for the day: If sponges didn't grow in the ocean, think how much deeper it would be.!!