Shiba Inu

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue
They can be very cat like. Very clean and fastidious animals. Can shed hair like there is NO tomorrow. Can be very challenging to train as they definitely feel that you are there to do THEIR bidding and not the other way around. Oh and the Shiba scream is a noise to behold. Leadtraining a puppy can induce this and it is almost certainly guaranteed to have every neighbour or dog show person within kooee giving you filthy looks because you HAVE to be abusing that puppy for it to be making such an unGODly noise like that!

They can climb and are very good jumpers so good fences are essential.

I titled the first Australian-born male shiba, Ch Glendalin Kashiwagi San, born in quarantine a long, long time ago!

Hmm OK maybe I was pulled in by their cuteness, don't think they are the breed for me!

<heads back to drooling over Lappies ..>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We very nearly went with a Shiba this time, but I wasn't convinced I'd be able to cope with the activity, and for an uncommon breed it's hard to find a good breeder. We met a pup while looking at Akitas and the Akita fellow said he was trying the breed out with her, but was so far finding her too busy. She had such a sparkle of mischief in her eyes, though. What a naughty little dog she would be! I met a few and got the impression they are aloof, but full of mischief.

cannibalgoldfish doggies are AWESOME!

Dont be fooled, twas all an act!

Yeah, I love the little buggers but they can be a pain sometimes. The screaming yodel of welcome can be a bit scary as well :confused:. Training them is easy! They learn quickly. They then learn just as quickly how to get around everything you ask. Sit, stay, drop not a problem if you have a treat. No treat, no listening to owner. The high energy level cant be worse than some other breeds. Loki is very placid and quiet(I think he missed that chapter in the breed book :laugh: )

Fun website that doesn't gloss over the bad points is the one below :thumbsup:

http://shibainus.ca/tms-in-a-nutshell-or-b...-from-the-past/

My Shiba was a great dog and ofcourse stunning to look at but they are not a breed for everyone. As has been said already they do have a "difficult" nature. My boy was characterized by bieng dignified, aloof, and independent. He was also very territorial. Put him somewhere and if his there more than a few minutes then thats it he thinks he owns that space all of a sudden. Iv heard it said that if Shiba's could say one word it would be "mine", this is spot on :confused:

edit - for some spelling

re cats im not sure I dont remember and could not comment on the breed as a whole in this respect. Actually I dont think he ever saw a cat.

He was not aggressive with any other animal he was exposed to as far as I can recall.

Edited by Lo Pan

What are they like with cats/critters?

Mine had cats around as puppies and ignore them. If they see a cat out on the footpath they will try and chase it but get scared if the cat stands its ground. Other critters... depends. Wouldn't trust them with smaller prey animals. Mine kill birds (and chooks :confused: ) and rodents. I had a rabbit in a hutch and they ignored it but I would guess running free it would be a whole different story.

if Shiba's could say one word it would be "mine"
Thats Wylies motto! Lokis would be "ok, have it, I cant be bothered"

They can be very cat like. Very clean and fastidious animals. Can shed hair like there is NO tomorrow. Can be very challenging to train as they definitely feel that you are there to do THEIR bidding and not the other way around. Oh and the Shiba scream is a noise to behold. Leadtraining a puppy can induce this and it is almost certainly guaranteed to have every neighbour or dog show person within kooee giving you filthy looks because you HAVE to be abusing that puppy for it to be making such an unGODly noise like that!

They can climb and are very good jumpers so good fences are essential.

I titled the first Australian-born male shiba, Ch Glendalin Kashiwagi San, born in quarantine a long, long time ago!

Hey Ellz,

Are you talking about Ochre, Saba or Vanda :laugh::) ;) ???

I had either a Basenji or a Shiba on the list of 'new dogs', I wanted. Did my research on both breeds, but settled for the Basenji, simply for the 'misguided', (as it turns out !!!), coat issues... My B's shedding truely put my ACD's to shame, its nearly embarassing... Very short, fine, VERY spikey coat is everywhere, and now the family is continually pulling these spikey, pokey hairs out of all our clothes :cheer: . Not really sure I made the right decision, certainly not the coat aspect, at least ;)

re cats im not sure I dont remember and could not comment on the breed as a whole in this respect. Actually I dont think he ever saw a cat.

He was not aggressive with any other animal he was exposed to as far as I can recall.

He saw cats and ignored them. He was too good for them. :laugh:

He wasn't aggressive at all, but he was protective.

I live next door to two who are fine neighbours. Not barky, no problem with my dogs thru the fence and not overly fussed about my cats. Well trained pair. They have two friends who visit - not as well trained and it shows!!

As with all breeds - must be in the parenting (human!). re the coats, yep spring next door looks like a ginger snowstorm!!

cannibalgoldfish doggies are AWESOME!

Dont be fooled, twas all an act!

Yeah, I love the little buggers but they can be a pain sometimes. The screaming yodel of welcome can be a bit scary as well :confused:. Training them is easy! They learn quickly. They then learn just as quickly how to get around everything you ask. Sit, stay, drop not a problem if you have a treat. No treat, no listening to owner. The high energy level cant be worse than some other breeds. Loki is very placid and quiet(I think he missed that chapter in the breed book :) )

Fun website that doesn't gloss over the bad points is the one below ;)

http://shibainus.ca/tms-in-a-nutshell-or-b...-from-the-past/

Ha, ha, so true!!! My shiba Yoshi will do anything for food, take the food away and it's like you don't exist. I'm a first time dog owner and love my shiba to bits....best decision I ever made. Basic training was a breeze....however, anything more than that you have to be very patient and put a fair bit of time in. He toilet trained himself and always does his business in the same place, so no potential land mines. Rarely barks, only when total strangers pull into the driveway. Loves people but isn't super friendly so doesn't annoy them and is really gentle with my niece and nephew. He has the nick name Mr Personality.

People always think he's still a puppy even though he is 3.5 years old. He is a chick magnet, so I no longer let my husband walk him by himself as he gets way too many females coming up to him, LOL!!!

My warnings to potential owners would be: don't expect them to be an off-lead dog, they shed heavily once or twice a year (but they don't lose any hair for the remainder of the year which I love!!!), hard to train past the basic sit, down, drop, shake, stay on your mat and roll over, mine hates water (common with shiba's), can be a bit aloof.

So basically if you want a dog that you can take off-lead to the beach or take to the park to play fetch, a Shiba is probably not the dog for you.

In human terms I'd call a lab a blokey bloke and a shiba a metrosexual!!!!

As a Shiba breeder I recommend you talk to as many breeders and owners as you can.

You will soon work out who are the responsible ones and who arent just by a phone call or an email (this goes with all breeds and breeders of corse).

Shibas can be a little trying at times but it's all about what your expectations are.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys n girls I'm new here. Been doing some research and reading about shiba inu's and iv been interested in getting a pup male red ifpossible, it would be my first dog (I have been around/lived with dogs before though) and I'm confident that I would be able handle there tempermant and the way they are. Anyway I'm just wondering how much a pup would cost and also how are they as puppies, any other info would be awesome aswell. Thanks

I have heard them described as the cat of the dog world, very independant and will only do things when and if they want.

I know the dog Skip spoke of and it was pretty funny cos when the dog school did demos they would have 3 dogs lined up, all three owners would walk about 15m away, the Shiba was always the one in the middle, the owners on the outside would call their dogs for a recall and the Shiba would do the stay while the others took off flying to their owners. It was made out that Foxxy had such a brilliant stay to be able to sit there while the other dogs took off, truth was you couldnt get the dog to move if you wanted to!!

Cat of the dog world? Isn't that the Basenji?

I have heard them described as the cat of the dog world, very independant and will only do things when and if they want.

I know the dog Skip spoke of and it was pretty funny cos when the dog school did demos they would have 3 dogs lined up, all three owners would walk about 15m away, the Shiba was always the one in the middle, the owners on the outside would call their dogs for a recall and the Shiba would do the stay while the others took off flying to their owners. It was made out that Foxxy had such a brilliant stay to be able to sit there while the other dogs took off, truth was you couldnt get the dog to move if you wanted to!!

Cat of the dog world? Isn't that the Basenji?

Equal pegging IMO

Any1? I have checked the puppy listing and there's only one and I just want to see more than just the one, so if anyone knows any more or anyone has pups for sale please pm me greatly appreciated.