Humpy Puppy.. And Its Not Wednesday...

bobchic

Little Missy (Pom 5 months old maybe?) has started humping my dog Mr Fluffy (9 Months today)

Its not Hump day so I have no idea whats going on!!

Sometimes he takes it and other times they start play fighting...

There is no aggression between them ever. Just not sure whats going on here...

Should I discourge this? Does it matter or not?

Im confused!! I can understand Fluffy as he is a boy.. But he grew out of that phase.

I have a feeling some dogs hump when they want to interact with another dog pretty badly but don't really know how to go about it, too.

Interestingly, Erik was humping a large Berner puppy in his puppy class on the second week when he was still anxious, but wanting to engage with the other dogs. The next week he did it less. The next week he was really gaining in confidence and didn't do it at all. He hasn't done it to any other dog in the last few weeks, either.

Humping - such a fun topic.

Any day of the week is HumpDay for lovers of the sport. Male and female are equal when it comes to humping. Desexing doesnt make a difference to a dedicated humper.

Humping can be for different reasons. The main one for young dogs/puppies is excitement..... trouble is that it can develop as a bad habit. In older dogs it can develop as a form of dominance control.... either way it is a bad habit.

It is not something to worry about as such, however stop the dog as when they are humping (especially in the excitement mode) they often tune out to everything else (kinda like a drug addict ----- GOSH this feels good!) Correct the dog with a verbal command and if needed push the dog off and then leave alone. If they hump again then repeat with a stronger correction. Generally they will start to turn and look at you when you correct and climb off themselves.

For gods sake..... dont let your dog hump peoples legs..... bloody annoying habit and your friends will hate you... also the sign of a bad dog owner.

When Mr Fluffy was at his humping prime and we had people over, he would pick one person out (completly random) and be very interested in that person the whole night. He would jump up on their lap, get a pat, and then start humping their arm/leg.

Of course our friends thought it was hilarious (well it was funny) but poor Fluffy had to be seperated... For the greater good lol...

When I took him for a holiday to my parents, he also humped my Mum's arm and my Step Fathers foot. Strange again cause he never tried my Mum's foot or my Step Fathers arm...

He is all good now thank goodness!! Now its just Missy trying to hump Fluffy's knee caps (she is a fair bit shorter then him lol)

Cheers everyone!!

My chihuahua male pup used to amuse himself for ages with fluffy toys. My teenage sons, as you can imagine, thought it was the funniest thing in the world and would encourage him by putting the toys in front of him. He did grow out of it though and never does it now. It is usually just hormonal at that age. My little female did go through it also, but not as much as the boy did. Fortunately none of mine tried on people. I would not have allowed that anyway.

I reckon it's a dominance thing! My mother has a female terrier of doubtful parentage and a younger, but fully-grown Rotti. The terrier spends at least 5 minutes humping the Rotti every afternoon just before dinner time. Rotti just stares off into the distance...