Head Lice

Nik

Hi all

I've just had a look at my 6 yr old's hair and he's teeming with them :rainbowbridge: . He wasn't itching or giving any of the usual signs, and being school holidays I've let my guard down with my usual check. He's managed to pick up some rather promiscuous buggers, and I've spent about 6 hours going through his hair to take out thousands of eggs :cry::cry::laugh:

My question is should I be checking our puppy? I've checked my other boys, and only one had some, and there were no eggs, so at least only one human has them at the moment.

Needless to say I'm spraying the couch with insecticide tonight, and sterilising everything!

Thanks

Nope, thank god, or I would have been de-licing all the kids and the dogs when the school holidays started.

Nasty buggers - why can't they invent a spot-on treatment like Advantix for Nits??

Tell me about it. I'm astounded at the number in my son's hair. We've had them before with my eldest, but never to this extent. Muct be more vigilant in future - dont EVER want to go through this again. Everytime I look through his hair there's another pocket of nits I didn't see before.

I'm wondering, would frontline kill them???? :rainbowbridge:

GREAT now my heads itchy!!! they used to sell a spray in the chemist when i was a kid that my mum used, killed them and the eggs. first time my son got head lise i went a looking, my chemist said he knew what i was after and they didn't make it any more :rainbowbridge: coz it worked!! his words too. apparently it was DDT, i think thems are the letters? TOXIC STUFF but i hate head lise and would use it! did no harm to me, 3 arms 1 leg and only 2 toes, isn't that what everyone has??

GREAT now my heads itchy!!! they used to sell a spray in the chemist when i was a kid that my mum used, killed them and the eggs. first time my son got head lise i went a looking, my chemist said he knew what i was after and they didn't make it any more :cry: coz it worked!! his words too. apparently it was DDT, i think thems are the letters? TOXIC STUFF but i hate head lise and would use it! did no harm to me, 3 arms 1 leg and only 2 toes, isn't that what everyone has??

Yep sounds right to me! :cry::rainbowbridge:

You prob already know this but if you buy water soluble tea tree oil and dilute in a spray bottle with water mist kids hats and head lightly daily might help prevent other kids getting them. The mist in the school hats works too. While they are going round weekly thick cheap (has to be cheap) conditioner and a comb has proved just as effective as the chemicals with no resistance. The other preventative is hair products like spray - they dont like it.

Choice did an artice I thought interesting but not sure if I have the link anymore.

My 6yr old princess got them earlier in the year. Her hair is down to her bum - I feel your pain!! If only there was advantix for kids :rainbowbridge:

my mum sends my sister to school with conditioner still in her hair. If she finds a couple of lice on her, she'll douse her head in cheap conditioner, keep it tied up overnight, which chokes and drowns them apparently, and no more new ones can jump on because they don't like it.

My sister has bum length hair which is really fine, so lice combs are SO painful for her!

I was told by health professionals many years ago to use fly spray as they are only crawling insects. When the nits were around all the mothers used to fly spray their children's heads and none of them ever had trouble with the beasties again.

My son's old school sent a note home warning parents NOT to Frontline or Advantix their kids :D

Seriously!

Maybe some people have tried it :thumbsup:

One of our clients put Frontline on their kids head... apparently it worked too :cheer:

...all the mothers used to fly spray their children's heads and none of them ever had trouble with the beasties again.

But what about the nits?

:thumbsup::cheer:

If only it were that easy!

When Grace had an outbreak I used Permoxin on her as none of the nit products were breaking the cycle. I only needed to do it once as I left it in for a few days all the little critters died. I used it on myself too. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it as a regular thing though.

Good luck!!

Yep - my friend used Frontline on her daughter when she was teeming with headlice and it definitely worked!! :thumbsup: ;)

Well, if it's good enough for our dogs........ :cry:

But is it?

Are any of the spot-ons?

No way would I use them on children.

I don't use them on my dog either.

But admittedly, I don't have the need to. I'm happy that I can avoid yet another chemical.

Sure Erny! :rofl: But I do hope you can the see the funny side of my post :rofl:

Thankfully my child only ever got headlice once and I used conditioner every day for nearly a week to get rid of them! So, I'm not advocating use of insecticides as the answer for everything! :rofl:

My mum is a hairdresser and dosent believe in all the chemicals that r used in head lice stuff should be used on kids or anyone for that matter as it really does dry hair out, especially if they have them numerous times.

Ive just treated my daughter as found a live one( single one) so caught in in time.

I use grapeseed oil from the supermarket, it drowns the lice n eggs, leave in the hair for 15 mins or so then wash, also good for the air as its oil

Edited by greatdanegirl