Can Someone Please Explain

Kirislin

Quick and dirty:

Evaluative when you want to include the exposure for the whole scene. Not good if you are exposing for something relatively small that is really bright or dark and the rest of the frame is opposite.

Spot: you aim the camera at the subject you want it to expose for and it "ignores" the rest of the frame. A good option for the above problem.

Center weighted: evaluates the entire scene but gives more preference to the exposure needed for the centre of the frame instead of the outer rim.

Just one thing on spot and partial from JSs point #2 "it's a method rarely used" is strange. I use spot all the time. Lots of shooters I know use it a lot, too.

It totally depends on the scene, your style and what you are trying to achieve. Personally I almost never use evaluative as it doesn't often suit what I'm shooting.

Play with them all when you are out so you can learn what each does for the types of shooting you do. It only takes a few minutes to run through them for a few frames, but getting to know each option will really help you in the long run!

Nope, centre weighted takes the centre of the frame (imagine a circle in the middle of your viewfinder). Of course you can point that at whatever you are wanting to expose for and lock it then recompose so it can act like spot. But the coverage is much larger in area than spot is.

Think of spot as precision metering - it's using only a tiny, specific part of your frame. Surgical strike :laugh:

Then Centre uses a bit more.

And evaluative uses the whole thing.