Stinky Stinky Dog!

Bean™

Jett is our Lab, and quite frankly he is revolting smelling.

He farts constantly it seems and they are rotten.

He is currently on euk, recommended by breeder.

I am after some tips to stop him smelling quite so bad?

TIA!

Change his food.

You can try another super premium (Royal Canin do one specifically for Labradors) or there are lots of threads here about raw feeding.

Are you adding anything? Oats? Pasta? Canned food??

If you change to another super premium and he is still bad then you need some medical investigation. How old is he?

Change to a raw diet. Sam has goat / lamb / chicken (because he's allergic to beef) plus sweet potato (cooked). I've also given him spinach with his dinner and have been advised that broccoli & cauliflower would also be good. He gets a pinch of kelp powder most nights + fish oil caps.

He has a bone 3 x per week and I vary what he has - chicken frames, goat shanks, lamb shanks, goat knuckles, mutton necks.

No farting. No bad breath. Lovely poos! (He had terrible poos on the dry he was originally on).

Good luck!

I'd say this food isn't right for him, perhaps change to a sensitive stomach formula and remove supplements for a periods of time, things like Fish Oil don't sit well with some dogs, you can only tell by removing them from the dogs diet and then introducing them later.

Perhaps some pro-biotics would be suitable as well.

I agree, changing his food is important - the smell might be bad for us but can you imagine how his poor tummy feels?

How about consulting an holistic vet to bring him back to a very plain diet and then add stuff as you go - that way you can remove what ever is making him gassy as it will show up from week to week when you add more things in.

Sas is right the probiotics would mostly likely help out

I vote for attaching an air freshner tree to his collar... might help

LOL. I thought about it.

We did some thinking, and we had been at a friends place, he has eaten some of the food there, as he hasn't smelt so bad since.

I also added a spoonful of natural yogurt to his food as well.

I am going to give him a couple more days and see if it goes back to normal, or change his diet.

Thanks everyone.

I vote for attaching an air freshner tree to his collar... might help

LOL. I thought about it.

We did some thinking, and we had been at a friends place, he has eaten some of the food there, as he hasn't smelt so bad since.

I also added a spoonful of natural yogurt to his food as well.

I am going to give him a couple more days and see if it goes back to normal, or change his diet.

Thanks everyone.

sounds like you need to hang the air freshener tree to his tail lol,

My lab farts alot and she gets very embarrassed too , I dont know if this has any relevance to your dog but Tara was worse when she had impacted anal glands, besides foul smelling farts she also had a fishy smell all the time, once the vet did her miracle and evacuated them she didnt smell as bad but still farts, they just dont smell lol

Big thumbs up for the raw diet my little whippet can clear a room.

I have learnt don't give her sardines or look out - nasty little critter. You accuse her and she gives you the "who me" angel eyes.

Have a look at the Raw/natural Chitchat - very good thread - I have finally converted and its heaps less work than I thought and kind of fun too.

"Give your dog a bone" by Dr Billinghurst is well worth a read too, has some good ideas in there

Same here. Raw diet (plenty of B & G frozen mixed veggies to settle tummies initially) = no farts! :love: Search Jane summs it up very nicely.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

Change to a raw diet. Sam has goat / lamb / chicken (because he's allergic to beef) plus sweet potato (cooked). I've also given him spinach with his dinner and have been advised that broccoli & cauliflower would also be good. He gets a pinch of kelp powder most nights + fish oil caps.

He has a bone 3 x per week and I vary what he has - chicken frames, goat shanks, lamb shanks, goat knuckles, mutton necks.

No farting. No bad breath. Lovely poos! (He had terrible poos on the dry he was originally on).

Good luck!