Look What I Found!

Daisys Mum

I went outside earlier to water my hanging plants and was about to water this one when i got a suprise to see a bird nesting in the middle! :D

I have been watching it for a while and it is still there so i am guessing it either has eggs underneath or its just comfortable :laugh:

I am about to Google to see what type of bird it is... i have seen some of them around here lately, does anyone know what they are?

009-1.jpg

Edited by LongWhiteCloud

that is a spotted turtle dove. Diamond doves are a lot smaller and different colour to spotteds.

They are not native, they are in fact a feral pest. And once you have them the buggers never want to leave, even the idiot babies hang around (and then proceed to get munched by the dog because they think they can just waddle around willy nilly) Probably has made a nest, have a look if there are no eggs much up the nest and move her on.

that is a spotted turtle dove. Diamond doves are a lot smaller and different colour to spotteds.

They are not native, they are in fact a feral pest. And once you have them the buggers never want to leave, even the idiot babies hang around (and then proceed to get munched by the dog because they think they can just waddle around willy nilly) Probably has made a nest, have a look if there are no eggs much up the nest and move her on.

I have had a good look and there doesnt seem to be any eggs :D

I have a Sibe here so i can imagine her thinking its a snack :laugh:

If it is still there before it gets dark i will move it :rofl:

I had one of these in my backyard too! She layed 2 eggs and was sitting on the eggs for about 10 days, until one day the eggs were gone!! and so was she! :laugh:

I know it wasnt my dogs (too high)... I looked at the ground.. nothing... no idea what happened :D

Here are the pics I took anyway.. I got so excited because I was going to watch them being raised!

Spotted Dove

eggs.jpg

bird1.jpg

ETA

Edited by Bellatrix

I just checked just then, she flew off and she has 2 eggs in there :laugh:

She is really nice, doesnt seem to be too bothered about the dogs coming and going :D

I wasnt quick enough to take a photo , the mummy is back in her nest.

Edited by LongWhiteCloud

• 2 weeks later...
I cant help but love these little chicks :cry: they are so defenceless at this young age.... i guess once theey are able to fly they will dissapear :cheer:

They have to be the worst nest builders in the bird world :cry: , I have hand raised so many of them because they have fallen out the nest .

They are also clumsy baby's especially when learning to fly .

Is there somewhere close by you can hang the basket where the dogs cant get to if they fell out ?

Edited by sugclasco

We have a nester too - although I think ours is a Laughing Dove :cry:

They certainly do pick strange places to nest :cry:

005.jpg

001.jpg

008.jpg

Lucky for her (him?) I don't use that light very often or it'd be scrambled babies. They are nesting just outside my laundry door and as I only go out that side on the weekend, I keep forgetting they are there. There is usually one on the nest and another close by within view.

There was drama on the first day I saw the nest and called my step-son out to see it. All of a sudden there was much fluttering and flapping of wings and feathers flying as a kite/small falcon of some description swooped in on the nest and chased the dove around our backyard and into our fishpond. Kite/Falcon thing went flying into our pool fence then took off - though could be seen in the distant sky circling above for some time after. Dove was floating in the fishpond, OH scooped it out with a shovel and it flew off onto the neighbours fence, where it sat with it's buddy for a while before coming back to the nest.

This episode certainly explained the mysterious pile of grey feathers I found in the backyard (that the dogs don't have access too) some months ago - looked like a birdie crime scene :cheer: .

And to think I want to move to the country so I can see more wildlife, when I have all this happening in my backyard.

Baby doves/pigeons have to be the ugliest babies... I mean, they are kinda cute but those beaks! LOL! I discovered we have a Spotted Dove nesting on one of our rolled up patio blinds - right above where the dogs sleep! They really are stupid birds. I wonder how they have survived this long...