Dog Ate Stocking... Some Advice Needed...

5tumpy

Hey Guys,

My wife was doing the washing, and my incredibly stupid Black Lab decided to eat a stocking that fell on the floor... She's about 30kg, 20 months old, and the stocking was a knee-high stocking...

We called the Vet immediately, and she advised us to get our hands on a low-end casserole canned food, and try and induce diarreha...

We've done that, and given her 700g of Pedigree casserole food so far, but we're wondering if we should keep giving it to her until she poos, or if we should just feed her normally... I don't want to keep calling the Vet, unless I absolutely have to, so any advise you could give would be fantastic...

Thanks all!

Hey Guys,

My wife was doing the washing, and my incredibly stupid Black Lab decided to eat a stocking that fell on the floor... She's about 30kg, 20 months old, and the stocking was a knee-high stocking...

We called the Vet immediately, and she advised us to get our hands on a low-end casserole canned food, and try and induce diarreha...

We've done that, and given her 700g of Pedigree casserole food so far, but we're wondering if we should keep giving it to her until she poos, or if we should just feed her normally... I don't want to keep calling the Vet, unless I absolutely have to, so any advise you could give would be fantastic...

Thanks all!

well stumpy, i don't want to giv you a bum steer (baboom) so I am not offering medical advice but my lagotto regularly eats everything and just loooves stocking socks and crutches out of undies...male and female. My son's girlfriend was horrified when he 'passed' her g string!. We constantly are putting things out of harms way but we (house of 7) are only human and sometimes miss. He has a healthy diet otherwise and seems to pass a little something different each day or so and cross fingers he remains OK. :thumbsup:

Addit: The night they both ate a packet of nurofen between them (that had been dropped out of the shopping bag) was not good tho... AND rather expensive after a few days at the vet!

Edited by lucylotto

Parrifin oil or milk, many dogs are lactose intollerant and will create the runs.

One of my gals stole a whole mango seed of my plate in one quick gulp it was gone. The vet said no use x-raying as it wouldn't show. Every morning and every afternoon we did the poo check, it eventually came out.

Hope all goes well..............

well stumpy, i don't want to giv you a bum steer (baboom) so I am not offering medical advice but my lagotto regularly eats everything and just loooves stocking socks and crutches out of undies...male and female. My son's girlfriend was horrified when he 'passed' her g string!. We constantly are putting things out of harms way but we (house of 7) are only human and sometimes miss. He has a healthy diet otherwise and seems to pass a little something different each day or so and cross fingers he remains OK. :D

Addit: The night they both ate a packet of nurofen between them (that had been dropped out of the shopping bag) was not good tho... AND rather expensive after a few days at the vet!

OMG do you own my dog?

Poop duty here is amazing, I still get a shock of some of the things he gets! :)

Fingers crossed I have never had a serious problem, we have been very lucky with him!

Hey All,

Sorry about the slow reply... Been busy at work and stuff, forgot to come back and check after the first few replies...

We're starting to get a little worried... She hasn't pooped it out yet that we've seen... In the first 24 hours, at the Vet's advise, we gave her food until she wouldn't eat anymore (about 1kg of pedigree casserole tinned food) but since then, she hasn't eaten... It's been about 36 hours since she ate, which, as lab owners would know, would normally lead to her whining and sooking... Then again, in the first 24 hours she ate what we'd usually give her in 6 days, so maybe it's normal...

Her tummy, pretty much right in the middle of her bald spot, is very firm, and she doesn't like being prodded, but no yelping or anything, so I'm not sure if she's just protesting like I would if I was getting poked there and didn't know why, or if she's tender... She's stilling a bundle of energy, and apart from the loss of appetite is her normal self... So we've set Saturday as the deadline, unless we notice a change first... Come Saturday, if it's not pooped out, we're going the vet, just to be safe, as most people I talk to say it usually takes a couple of days to pass these things...

But yeah, keep the advise coming guys, is there anything in particular I should be looking for why checking her? Any particular spot? I have no idea where a doggy's intestines are, so it's pure guess work when looking for lumps etc that the stocking would make...

Thanks again all!

Hey Again,

Typical of Mackenzie, it's like she waits until I'm worried about her to come good again!!!

The lump/firmness I felt before was gone by the time my wife got home from work about an hour ago, so we got the torches out and did one final poop patrol for the night, low and behold, we find a fresh, very runny one (sorry for the visual but you've all seen worse no doubt!) that was the exact colour of the stocking... And there it was, right in the middle of it, so very unpleasant, but there nonetheless!

So, all that worrying for absolutely nothing! It came out in tack, not even torn, I could've washed it and my wife wouldn't any the wiser, but of course, I turfed it straight into the bin!

Thanks a lot for the advise guys, good know I'm not the only one with a dopey dog who doesn't know what's food and what isn't!!!

Take care all!

Bryce (5tumpy), Lauren (his wife) and Mackenzie the (typically dopey, but very intelligent when it suits) Labrador.

Great news! Labs are a little naughty with the things they eat!

I have known of a recently graduated Guide dog that ate half his owners dressing gown! He was very ill, lost 50cm of intestine, but did have a full recovery and got back to work :laugh: