Teaching Dog To Jump

:(

according to my OH leo has lead in his ass! he cannot/ will not jump. he was 1yo in july and is a dally. he will sometimes jump in the car. mostly he stands at the back of the wagon and waits for you to lift the hind end in the air.

while this is great on one hand he has never jumped onto the couch... which i prefer him to be on floor. or tryed to jump the fence.

the 20 thousand dollar question is how to even make him try... if he does it's a pathetic one leg in the air or we pretend to climb and miss so that's it no more try or interest.

yes i have tryed his most fave treat the tic tac's. :):rofl: :rofl:

he does jump in sometimes... like once in a blue moon.....

clydes looks out window moon not blue today.

he grew up in sydney.... he did not even know how to play with a human or the joy of having your belly rubbed. the first time we tryed to to give him a belly scratch he panicked.... he thought we were gunna attack him. now he's a belly rub junkie.

i think in the past he has been lifted, into cars... as in back end lifted.

might take him to the friend next door, she does both human and horses(well mine) so she would looki at leo... worth a go.

The way you teach a horse to jump, is to put a wooden pole on the ground and walk over it, allow horse to check out the pole if it wants. It learns that if it hits the pole with its foot or steps on it, there is a clunking noise and it's nicer to step over.

Once pole on the ground is "mastered", raise the pole slightly off the ground - eg one brick high - so horse has to pay attention and pick its feet up a little more. Walking, then trotting...

Once that step is mastered - raise the pole some more.

I'm guessing you could teach a dog to jump the same way. Teaching a dog to jump on the couch would be slightly different - ie you'd have to start with a platform that was big enough to hold the entire dog comfortably, with maybe a big cushion or pillow on top - and arranged so nothing slips or pulls off. Teach dog to park on the platform, gradually raise the platform until the dog has to jump on it.

With clicker shaping - you'd break it all down into tiny steps - like looking at the platform, touching the platform, putting a paw on the platform.... but a food treat in the middle of the platform might help skip a few steps. And the platform would have to start close to the ground.

It could be that the dog had an unfortunate memory of a fall or similar associated with jumping. My puppy dog at 12 months has decided jumping things under head high - or even head level is great fun. Unfortunately this means the fence between my place and the neighbours and out to freedom down the street, or jumping into the cricket pitch area - and back out. She's happy to jump a rope or a wide band of orange tape/matting. Sigh.

And now I have to teach her to jump in the car, but I'm thinking a ramp might be easier. Since jumping onto a landcruiser back seat almost certainly means headbutting the back of the front passenger seat on the way up. I guess I could get a small platform. One of our arthritic doggy friends uses an old card table with the legs cut down to make a step platform about 8 to 12 inches off the ground (it's slightly sloped), and this enables her to get in the back of a normal station wagon.

Is it into a sedan car?

My boy got used to me helping him in to the car as a youngster and so, even at his adult size, tended to wait for that 'lift'. I moved him past that point by lifting one hind leg and placing it on the 'step'. He now 'climbs' into the car under his own steam this way (and was pretty puffed up and proud when he realised he could do it by himself :laugh:).

My previous girl I admit was somewhat more agile and used to spring from a standing position into the car. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm happy enough for him not to take leaps into the car. He's such a 'crash and bash' type dog that he'd probably do it with too much clumbsy enthusiasm anyway. It's one of the few things he does calmly. :laugh:

But to make sure, I would suggest you have your dog checked over to ensure that this behaviour is not the result of discomfort rather than just a learnt behaviour.

Edited by Erny

blow.... i typed and deleted and wrote a great reply.

the interent gremlin stole it... cause the satellite conection fell in a heap.

car is a falcon station wagon so not high. he won't climb in the back as the wheel arch stops him from getting a foot hold.

OH's quote is "he's got you trained to lift him why would he jump" and "on the weekend he jumped a 1-2 foot fence...knee height dog is thigh height... so should be really easy.... but he has a sookie la la mummy to lift him. drive off he'll soon want in"

of course OH's know all, wrong!

will have to try some of the idea's although he discovered a red foam ball last night.. the excitement... is huge.

I've tried getting in the car and driving off (very very carefully) along a private road. It does not make my dog want to jump in by herself or any easier to catch so I can lift her in. So I wouldn't count on that technique.

If you can use the new toy to lure him in, or at least put his feet in the car as a first step, that might work. Otherwise maybe a small milk crate with some padding on the top or an esky with some of that nonslip matting on it might work as an intermediate step.

It seems like he just doesn't know it's ok or that he can actually get himself in the car.

Dallies were bred to run along beside a coach. Any significance (smiley face)?

Sally, any breed/physical significance, if you see this thread?

My dally bitch will leap quite happily into the passenger seat of the car but waits to be lifted into the back of the station wagon when being put into the car but will leap into the back bit to sit if I leave her tied up to the car :) She prefers to travel in the back seat like a lady not in the back with hairy sheep dogs.

Dallies can be funny dogs and a reluctance to jump can into a car can mean other things than something physically wrong. That is why I asked if he would jump into the car to get his dinner (dallies are more food motivated than labs). He may just think that being lifted in is the way it should be.

i tryed to take pics of how pathetic his climb in is.... front paws up then back feet on tow bar... then a scramble like the car is a cliff top. there is no difference in the back seat climb, although when sitting on seat he's very tall.

he has jumped in the past, but now seems not to be bothered, like janba said he thinks i should do the work! :)

with his size the car is an easy jump! the jrt can jump into the back and over the seat in one bound.

this should be easy for him, i ran out of treats getting him in this arvo just to go to the school bus. :) :)

he does not appear to dislike the car nor get car sick.

although he likes food dinner may not cut it, he tends to find stuff to eat everywhere even grazes on grass. so is never starving at dinner time.

Dallies were bred to run along beside a coach. Any significance (smiley face)?

Sally, any breed/physical significance, if you see this thread?

Hi stranger :)

I would be leaning toward a check up with a Bowen therapist or chiro. In my limited experience Dals tend to throw themselves around a lot as youngsters which can tighten muscles up a bit. They also need a VERY good reason to do something so I would also suggest some roast chicken *grin*

ETA: Once Zig learned to jump it became very self rewarding. However I still have to intermitantly reward for jumping in the car :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

although he likes food dinner may not cut it, he tends to find stuff to eat everywhere even grazes on grass. so is never starving at dinner time.

He's a broken dally. I can't imagine a dal that won't try to move mountains to get their dinner :)

no not really broken just full... he will fill up on any thing..

horse hoof trimmings, grass, sheep poo/horse poo in the paddock old bones. me thinks he a constant snacker! :laugh: ;)

so if not really hungry then why bother.

i think we also need to be in the "mood" so we might need to make sure we try in the am when we might be hungry and a bit more happy and refreshed. :eek:

..and there is a difference in jumping clear OVER a low fence.. where the force of the jump carries the body, and the body forms a curve and front feet hit lower ground.... and jumping UP into something.. where a lot of the weight/effort is concentrated in the back end for a longer period of time....

*sorry that sounds muddled * :laugh:

i think he should take a running leap into the car.....

but he won't i get the.. doh! woman that's far too high! while standing at the back.

so maybe some exercise to get him to take a run up?

my thought are he expects to be lifted, experiences always has been thus so has no reason to change.

so how bout this for a thought. he gets so long with treat and car... no jump... back into yard and no come+ no treat.

one of the problems is he will stand there for a week looking looking.

..and there is a difference in jumping clear OVER a low fence.. where the force of the jump carries the body, and the body forms a curve and front feet hit lower ground.... and jumping UP into something.. where a lot of the weight/effort is concentrated in the back end for a longer period of time....

*sorry that sounds muddled * :laugh:

we have had sucess.... you gain a choccy frog......

this was the light bulb moment.

doggie will take a running leap but not from a small standing start. must have been performance anxiety as well.... with me laughing at his climbing.