Bone Cancer

Rozzie

Yesterday, our eleven year old greyhound was diagnosed with aggressive bone cancer. No treatment options, she has been given a month tops.

:clap:

As you can imagine we are absolutely devastated by this news. We have her at home with high dosage cortisone to help with swelling, thereby removing some of the discomfort. She is still happy in herself, still does her Peter Garrett impersonation when she runs. I know we will know when her time has come.

I guess I want to say... Please check ALL lumps carefully and get them assessed if you are worried. It's not going to save Sofia since hers progressed from naught to huge in a matter of days.

Sorry if I don't make sense,

:thumbsup:

Hi Rozzie

You may have seen my thread re Lucy the Staffie, who we lost this week to bone cancer. It was a shock she appeared her normal self bar a long-standing cough and a slight limp which we attributed to arthritis from her old cruciate surgery. She shattered her knee on sunday, and it was the x-rays that revealed the cause was bone cancer. I have read a little on the subject since then to ease my mind that we could not have known sooner. It is a truly aggressive cancer with very poor prognosis.

Enjoy the time you have left of her.

Dogdayz

Rozzie, I am so sorry about your fur baby. :scared: Please know there are many of us that understand and will be here for you.

Four years ago our Bouvier was acting strange one day, she couldn't lie down comfortably, she kept popping up into a standing position and would cry. I took her in for x-rays and she had osteosarcoma of the spine...the tumor had eaten away two of her vertebrae. She was painful and we decided to let her go that night at our vet's office in our arms. Bone cancer comes on like gangbusters and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Hugs to you and your baby.

:confused::confused:

Susie

You have all my sympathy. We had a toy poodle who succumbed to bone cancer in a front leg. Initially treated with radiotherapy at the hospital (years ago and we knew the radiotherapist); it bought her 3 extra months then returned with a vengeance and we had her put down before she suffered too much discomfort. She was 14 and our first family dog who we got at age 6 from the rspca. You just never know. It is the hardest thing however they go. I don't know if it helps to know this but I hope you at least get a feeling of solidarity and support from people who know what it's like.

It looks as though we make that final trip sooner than anticipated... or hoped for. Sofia is deteriorating and stays on her bean bag except for meals and toilet. No more goofy running or grey cuddles. Her new collar and lead set for Xmas, she will get early for that last car ride.

Gee Rozzie, you have my deepest sympathy...I think you are very brave with what you have been through of late with your pets...

When it is Ollies turn to go to the bridge, I hope I can be as brave as you have been...He is in hospital today having a broken molar removed.

Hope your Christmas and New Year are brighter.

Jodie

• 1 month later...
Guest starburstgal1120

my 13 year old mutt, winnie, was recently diagnosed with bone cancer, that has since spread to his lungs :-( since he is so old, we're not going to treat him, but i wonder if there are any painkillers out there that will help him?

he also has a problem with walking on our hardwood floors, which take up our entire first floor. I dont want him to hurt himself by slipping on the floors, and he cant get up the stairs anymore because of his leg. what would you all reccomend?

We're trying to make him as comfterbal as possible, but I'm not sure what to do. yall's input would be appreciated! <3

hi starburstgal1120,

That is very sad to hear. :( Has your vet suggested any painkillers at all? I'm sorry I'm not up to needing the pain killers stage for Molly yet so I am unsure. As with the hardwood floors, can you put down non slip matting in the areas he will walk? We have linoleum & it plays havoc with Molly so we have put down hallrunners everywhere so that she can get grip.

Good luck

Jacqui

Guest starburstgal1120

Hi everyone!

Winnie is taking 81 mg of aspirin, and I think that the reccomended dose is one per every 15 lbs. We're also giving him a lot of vitamins that our vet reccomended and some medicine (which we recently ran out of) called doxycycline. Bommy- Thank you for your tip on the non slip matting, I will look into it. Hope everyone is doing well and Thanks!