Beware Flea Products

A lot of the modern treatments for both human and animals can have adverse side effects. Even the debate over child immunization due to deaths occurring in small children due to the vaccines highlights the danger of modern health treatments. Generally it is a balance as to how much benefit is derived from the treatment and what the associated risk is. A dog with a flea infestation has a miserable life, and most dogs in Australia would not be managed as and maintained to the level as many of the show dogs referred to here on DOL, and therefore will have fleas.

I agree but I also think there should be greater warning of possible adverse reactions as in human medication. If you read the leaflet of any human medication they list every possible side effect. There are usually so many that you wonder whether or not you should take it! But at least then you will observe for those reactions. It shouldnt be any different with animal meds.

I'm not sure how often these burns happen but Bayer themselves told me that SWF dogs who use advantix have a greater suceptibility to seizures and other adverse reactions. They know this yet there is no disclosure with consumers. At least if these things were listed as possible side effects people could make informed decisions and take the risk on themselves.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

l have always been very wary about putting such type of chemicals on my Toy Poodles,but my vet talked me into it but l stopped using Frontline about a year ago and now l wash my dogs at least weekly with Fido's Pyrethum Flea shampoo and so far no fleas.

Hope your dog gets better soon.

Has anyone had experience with shootags? could they work?

Hadn't heard of them until you mentioned it, BM. I don't know of anyone who has tried them. If they worked, and assuming the magnetic 'frequency' didn't disturb the animal wearing them, then I think I'd rather these than any chemicals, including those we shampoo our dogs with, spray the ground and surrounds with, spray/apply on them or have them imbibe.

Shootag

Some interesting tips through the links on that sight. Eg. Putting eucalyptus leaves around the house supposedly discourages fleas. Have no idea of the validity of these tips, but some may be interested in reading and trying them out.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny.

I had no idea of there existence either until my local and reputable dog product supplier asked would I be interested in trying them. They had been using them on their horses and dogs now for about 3 months and thought they were doing a wonderful job.

I live next to bushland in Brisbane's suburbia linking to a golf course with plenty of creeks running through. This time of year I can hear the ticks gasping in excitement as my canine companion and I start out for a walk. I am reluctant to continually douse my dog in possibly harmful chemicals. Given that he is a short haired breed it is easier to check him over than others but I still want some level of protection.

The cynic in me sees no scientific basis by which these things could work. A bit of plastic with a preprogrammed magnetic strip drawing powers from the animals own energy. Hmmmmm. But searches of the net does turn up excited devotees.

Could I just have attached the $45 I was talked into spending on the Shootags to his collar and had the same level of protection :laugh: Will report back on my n=1 research project re: their effectiveness.

How do you keep your place flea free? Just curious :laugh:

I think where you are located in Australia makes a big difference, same as it does to heartworm/tick regimes.

We use no flea treatments and have no need to. We live in a dry part of the country which I'm sure helps us a great deal - I haven't seen a flea on ours for literally years.

Our dogs are also indoors when we are home, we have minimal carpet and the dogs don't have unrestricted access to the carpeted areas anyway. Their bedding is washed frequently. The show dogs are also washed in line with our show schedule but the older dogs are not overbathed and also have no problems.

I think where you are located in Australia makes a big difference, same as it does to heartworm/tick regimes.

I agree with that. The only time I have had fleas in Canberra was when I flew a pup in from Qld and she arrived with them.

The cold winters and heavy clay soils here make a difference I think. You could still get an inside infestation but the external environment doesn't really seem to suit them. Thank goodness!

My dogs haven't had a flea treatment in their lives. On seeing these sorts of things, makes me very glad.

Whereabouts are you in Qld Sheridan ? I've noticed since moving here (just outside Gympie ) that I haven't seen one mozzie!! I'm sure if they were here they would've found me by now :cry: I'm wondering if it's the same with fleas.

Nina

Hope your girl's ok Linda, that looks pretty awful !

Edited by ninahartland

We have used Advocate on hundreds of different dogs over an average of three treatments each and have never had any serious side-effects.

The only time we have had a flea problem with dogs on advocate is when the dog has been found to be living in a very heavily infested environment. If the environment is lightly infested you may see the odd poisoned flea on the dog. Advocate doesn't work instantly, it isn't that strong, so the fleas may be seen slowly crawling around for a while before they die. Healthy fleas on untreated dogs move quickly and are hard to see.

Advocate works a lot better than any other flea product I have tried. It is also a heartworm preventative.

Could I just have attached the $45 I was talked into spending on the Shootags to his collar and had the same level of protection :D Will report back on my n=1 research project re: their effectiveness.

Thank you - I'll be very interested in knowing results.

A very good test would be to use it on a dog who already has fleas, to see if the Shootag will rid them. Otherwise I think we'll be wondering if it is only happenschance that the flealess/tickless dog did not pick up a flea/tick.

But please do make a point of reporting back. I too hate using chemicals when other things might prove to be as or at least reasonably effective.

Further on the topic, I use Advantix on both my dogs. My elky has no problems, but my goldie tends to scratch herself a bit for a day or so after I put the drops on her (I do spread it out over 3-4 spots). I have checked her skin and it doesn't look sore, but because of the itching I was considering moving to something else. However, I am in Sydney with my house backing into the bush so I am highly wary of ticks. My dogs have never had fleas or ticks so far. Are there any other products which are as effective against ticks as Advantix but are likely to cause less skin irritations?

Very sorry and very worrying to read the problems you have had with Advocate.

I was going to try it but now I think I will stick to Advantix.

One things for certain though, if you don't 'jump up and down' to the manufacturing company, they will most certainly choose to ignore you.

After all, it is in their best interests to try to fob you off.

This case is definitely worth following through!!!

Further on the topic, I use Advantix on both my dogs. My elky has no problems, but my goldie tends to scratch herself a bit for a day or so after I put the drops on her (I do spread it out over 3-4 spots). I have checked her skin and it doesn't look sore, but because of the itching I was considering moving to something else. However, I am in Sydney with my house backing into the bush so I am highly wary of ticks. My dogs have never had fleas or ticks so far. Are there any other products which are as effective against ticks as Advantix but are likely to cause less skin irritations?

I've been using Advantix since we got Heidi but over the last 3 or 4 months, I noticed lots of ear flapping and scratching for a few days afterwards. Even had the vet come and check her ears etc,,, nothing abnormal noticed. The last time I applied it, I suddenly realised in the middle of the night what the problem was. No advantix next month, so we have decided to try Frontline Plus.

I was just wondering, for those that do not use flea treatment, do you still use heart worm medication etc? I am yet to flea my 5 month old puppies also, and have never noticed a flea on them, so I would be happy to skip the flea-ing process.

I live in South Victoria and do not feel I need to use heart-worm preventative. If I lived in an area where this was an issue then yes, I would (albeit reluctantly) administer heart-worm preventative using the daily heart-worm medication.

I've been using Advantix since we got Heidi but over the last 3 or 4 months, I noticed lots of ear flapping and scratching for a few days afterwards. Even had the vet come and check her ears etc,,, nothing abnormal noticed. The last time I applied it, I suddenly realised in the middle of the night what the problem was. No advantix next month, so we have decided to try Frontline Plus.

Thanks vjb. I might try Frontline Plus. How frequently do you use it? I noticed you are in Thornleigh. That's probably a low tick area. I'm in Mt Colah.

My dogs haven't had a flea treatment in their lives. On seeing these sorts of things, makes me very glad.

Whereabouts are you in Qld Sheridan ? I've noticed since moving here (just outside Gympie ) that I haven't seen one mozzie!! I'm sure if they were here they would've found me by now :laugh: I'm wondering if it's the same with fleas.

Nina

Hope your girl's ok Linda, that looks pretty awful !

Oh, I'm not in Qld. I think Qld is the default. I tried changing it and it wouldn't cooperate.

People have mentioned weather. Before Grumpy came to live with me he was in Port Elliot in SA, which I believe can get very hot (with my first wheaten was a wee pup, the breeder mentioned a nearly 50 degree day). I asked about flea treatments for Grumpy before he arrived and the breeder said he'd never had one. He just gave him a bath every now and again in a flea shampoo. Fidos?

Thanks vjb. I might try Frontline Plus. How frequently do you use it? I noticed you are in Thornleigh. That's probably a low tick area. I'm in Mt Colah.

I'm not sure on how bad ticks are around here. With our other old girl, we only used treatments during the summer months for fleas, and never in 13 years had a tick on her, and I don't even recall many fleas in that time either. ?? It's a bit hard to tell if we are in a "low tick" area. The vet said that there is an ingredient in Advantix that some dogs react to, and Frontline Plus does not have this ingredient.

The Frontline Plus packaging says it controls brown dog ticks for up to one month, and paralysis ticks for up to two weeks.... I just don't want her to have any bad reactions. I really didn't know that these products were so toxic. I'm required to give her something prior to boarding her, so I will give this a go and hope there is no reaction.

• 4 weeks later...
Could I just have attached the $45 I was talked into spending on the Shootags to his collar and had the same level of protection :laugh: Will report back on my n=1 research project re: their effectiveness.

Thank you - I'll be very interested in knowing results.

A very good test would be to use it on a dog who already has fleas, to see if the Shootag will rid them. Otherwise I think we'll be wondering if it is only happenschance that the flealess/tickless dog did not pick up a flea/tick.

But please do make a point of reporting back. I too hate using chemicals when other things might prove to be as or at least reasonably effective.

Hi Erny

Reporting back as promised.

Nearly a month after putting the shootags on we have had no ticks or fleas. Our dog gets exercised daily in bushland with a watercourse running through it and there are plenty of ticks about.

But where does that leave us.......after installation of piece of magic plastic a dog which has never had a tick or flea continues to be tick and flea free??

I will keep you updated...

It makes you wonder what people used before all these products come on the market and like vaccinations we are not being told what the possible side effects are and long term health effects on our animals!.

I remember when I was around 5-6 quite a few years ago and we had a long haired dog and had to move to Burleigh Heads in Qld for 12 months for my fathers job, The vet told my mum the dog would die within a week as the area was lousy with ticks. After she bathed us kids every night the dog was put into the bath and checked for ticks and washed with Gammawash and the old fashioned Coal Tar dog soap was all mum ever used. In the 12 months we were there she never found 1 tick him and he spent long hours outside at back of property and his coat was like satin so just goes to show that maybe we should all go back to the old fashioned remedies would be less harmful on our animals. (Wonder if you can still buy Gammawash) haven't seen it for years.?