Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

ACWA classes start tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to training Pippa!!! :D

Looks like I have 2 DOLer class mates in Puppy Class 1 - bedazzledx2 and boxagirl :thumbsup: We'll finally get to "officially" meet, boxagirl :laugh:

Poor Pippa is going to be a midget compared to a Kelpie and Boxer! But she's got "big dog" spirit ;) She takes on both my Labs and goes back for more, much to their disgust once they are finished playing and trying to sleep!

I dont understand why there is just so much kennel cough around? I know its like the human fou so to speak but it must be so horrible for the poor dogs. I did a C3 at 12 weeks but will def be doing a C5 at 16 weeks with all this KC around - no point in taking a chance

The C5 only covers two strains of KC and there are over 20 strains. Even if you vaccinate the dog they can still get it. I also heard the KC component only lasts 6 months anyway.

I will still be sticking to the C3 for mine personally. From reading threads on DOL a few people say to get the separate intranasal KC vacc instead - not sure though personally.

I had this discussion with our vet and have always gone for C4 rather than C5. The theory is that whatever the KC component that is covered by the 4 part is the one that is the most problematic if the dog should contract it hence opting for that over the C3. The vet new mine interacted with a heap of dogs and has never pushed a C5 on them and the comment was if they did get the KC strain that was covered by the C5 component then as long as they were fit and healthy otherwise there would be unlikely to be to many issues and it was also easily treated.

the intranasal doesnt last as long as the vaccination injection. the KC is also a live vaccine i think - i'm assuming that symptoms can still present similar to a flu vaccination for humans.

Kennel cough is awful, but it's just one of those things... just like a human cold. personally I am not sure why people get so stressed out over it. The only time it is highly stressful is when they develop other symptoms due to infection and if you know about them you can keep an eye on them and get them on AB's if necessary. JT (lulu's brother) went to the vet for KC this morning... the vet checked him over and gave him some AB's as his mucous was discoloured and coming out of his nose. The vet reported that at least 1 in every 4 cases he had had in the last week was KC, and as JT's owner was leaving, another dog came in with KC symptoms. In addition, JT had the intranasal vaccine and he presented his symptoms the very same day as Zora, who I believe had the C5.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Tiggy - me neither... the very interesting part of this will be how Lulu's symptoms present. She hasn't had any KC vaccination, and so far she isn't even showing any symptoms regardless of the same days of exposure. of course, it is entirely possible she will be more affected by it, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I am not sure exactly RS - just whatever component that is covered by the C4 is the nasty component. Hmm ok just did google think the C4 component is parainfluenza which I was told if they contracted isn't as easily treatable whereas whatever the strain that is covered by the C5 component is much more easily treatable.

Guest RosieFT

ACWA classes start tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to training Pippa!!! :D

Looks like I have 2 DOLer class mates in Puppy Class 1 - bedazzledx2 and boxagirl :thumbsup: We'll finally get to "officially" meet, boxagirl :laugh:

Poor Pippa is going to be a midget compared to a Kelpie and Boxer! But she's got "big dog" spirit ;) She takes on both my Labs and goes back for more, much to their disgust once they are finished playing and trying to sleep!

oooh can't wait to meet her RS!!!

Guest RosieFT

As to KC hope it is the same strain as the one Rosie has already had! She got it a couple of years ago from the kennel i put her in while we went on holiday. ugh.

I think you'll like her, she's spunky like a terrier, but fluffy, in a good way :p :rofl:

Guest RosieFT

I wanted a black mini... then I wanted a smooth foxie... foxie won.. :-) .. didn't want to have to pay for all that clipping!!! ;)

I think you'll like her, she's spunky like a terrier, but fluffy, in a good way :p :rofl:

Nah, she won't like her, she smells too much like a dog and gets bits of outside rubbish stuck to her fur :p

Yep I hear you there RFT - though the warmer weather has resulted in an influx of little spiky white hairs around the place, gave dogs a wash yesterday and heaps of hair came off them!

I haven't noticed her smelling like dogs but yes I do remember that day she had a bit of poo stuck on her fur :rofl: :rofl: