Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I actually sell dog first aid kits on-line - not that I posted that comment before to get a sale lol

They have everything in them you'd ever need plus a book - emergency first aid for your dog.

You can find them on www.dogkingdom.com.au under the for your hound section/first aid supplies

If you want one and live near Thornlie I'll deliver to you free but no pressure!

Oooo looks good and free delivery! Very tempting but maybe a little more than I wanted to spend but now I know you do them :grouphug: I'm in Vic Park, so very close.

What size is bag when it's all packed up? Weight if that isn't too much to ask.

And does it have the stuff to make a dogs blood clot? Like when you snip a toenail too short :)

That's fine BB, they weight about 900 grams but prob wouldn't fit into the glove box (won't fit in mine but mine's a hatch).

Yes it does have the blood clot stuff it's a Styptic Pencil - you can buy these at places like Big W, chemist etc in the shaving section, it's the same stuff guys use when they cut themselves shaving or you could try rubbing a cake of soap over the cut, that sometimes works.

If your looking to make your own there's a company in Welshpool or Belmont cant remember but it's called BioJohn, it's where the Greyhound trainers buy all their bandages etc pretty cheap, you could just buy what you needed and use a lunch box or something to keep them in and just add to it, they sell the antiseptic sprays, pretty much everything really, I was going to make up my own to sell instead but when I worked out what I would need and the cost of it all it was cheaper to import the one's I sell from USA.

I would LOVE to start a dock diving club :grouphug: But I would have no idea of a good venue OR if there will be much interest OR if it will ever become a proper Australian sport. :laugh:

I'd be very interested in dock diving!! But doubt it will ever start here in Oz, let alone Perth :(

Hi guys

I got my 3 dog approval letter from the council today! To celebrate I've put myself on the waiting list for a Chi puppy. :)

Congrats! Wish I could put myself on a puppy waiting list!

BB - if youre going camping at Collie, and not taking a Collie ( :laugh: sorry Im tired and I dont know whether I read your comment right :D ) make sure you take some warm clothes!! It can be mighty cold down here around Easter. Hopefully we will have had some rain by then too!! We keep talking about camping but havent actually got there yet! Maybe when Summer has finished!

Jazzyjules - just noticed youre a greyhound junkie :):grouphug: . A question for you: Are they getting anywhere near close to changing laws about muzzling pet greyhounds?? I find it quite amazing that these dogs still have to be muzzled in public, when after spending time with them at the Royal they seem such gentle creatures?? I dont understand it :(

Re first aid kits - I made my own this summer. After Zola getting snake-bit last summer I made sure I have quite a number of bandages, vit C powder and other useful thing for both humans and dogs!!

It lives on the dining room table, so we all (well, all 2 of us :party: ) know were it is! First aid book in there as well. Oh and I redid my first aid cert just last week. It seems to get easier each time I do it!!

Rat

Jazzyjules - just noticed youre a greyhound junkie :):grouphug: . A question for you: Are they getting anywhere near close to changing laws about muzzling pet greyhounds?? I find it quite amazing that these dogs still have to be muzzled in public, when after spending time with them at the Royal they seem such gentle creatures?? I dont understand it :(

Rat

ABSOLUTELY!!! The best dogs we have ever had the pleasure of being owned by.. lol

Victoria and Qld have been successful in changing the law but only for those retired that have gone thru the Greyhound as Pets (GAP) program and passed, they have to wear a green collar so rangers etc know they have passed but sadly WA are still petitioning the government for it to be put on the parliament agenda, the GAP girls have done some fantastic work over the years with the local councils and state government but there are always more important items for the government to deal with first, they got sooo close before the elections and because of the change of government they basically had to start again. The law doesn't recognise retired greyhounds v's racing greyhounds, they are all treated just the same. The police commissioner adopted one not so long ago which is great for the campaign as he's pushing for the law to be changed too.

They are the most gentle dogs, 99% of them wouldn't hurt a fly and the other 1% wouldn't pass GAP anyway if they are in anyway aggressive plus it would be way too much effort for them to get off the couch! lol

Rubystar- All it needs is for a few people interested and a venue. :grouphug: I REALLY would love to start a club, but I have no idea for suitable venues for training. Is there a lake a whitemans park?

Well does anyone here have a nice big pool for us all to come over and practice in? :) I have no idea about a venue, but would love to find one!

Found this page when I was looking at Lab stuff, thought you might be interested for your Chessie!

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp

(i) Dimensions: The competition venue shall consist of a dock forty (40) feet long (12.2m) by eight (8) (2.4m)

feet wide. The dock shall rest no more or less than twenty-four (24) inches off of the water

surface (61 cm).

The length of the dock is the hardest, but if the dock and shore were level then the dock wouldn't have to be as long.

Wowsers is that on your property?! Where are you situated? That is awesome, would so love to live there! My girls would have a ball, especially Ruby. The most fun they get in the backyard is when I put the sprinkler on. Ruby was a drowned rat this arvo playing in the sprinkler :)

Yes it is our property :rofl: We have 100 acres up in Gidgegannup. We bought the property coz of it's brilliant water supply :rofl: The place is actually set up for aquaculture so as well as our "lake" we have 10 or so large ponds for the fish and a large dam that supplies water to the houses. Oh, and they aren't ducks Banjo and Kinta are chasing (although we have lots of them too) they are geese :rofl:

Valleywa, you will get numbers sent out plus a list of breeds and number of entries for each breed. But don't be too worried if you don't get them until a week before the show - although you generally get it earlier than you do for the Royal :rofl:

Wondering if there are any WA dog lovers out there who would be interested in getting involved in Lure Coursing ? I'm trying to establish a lure coursing club, if I can get enough interested parties!

YES YES YES!!! :angel: And i could guarantee at least another 5 people with Whippets that would be interested too! :laugh:

Where would you do it? At Cannington?

Absolutely! We tried to do it with the retired racing Greyhounds that had been adopted some time ago at Cannington race track but the racing industry wouldn't be in it, they would have needed tractor driver, vet etc on course and the only day available would have been Sunday - not a problem with us being Owners but tractor driver, vet etc would want paying - and being their only day off!

Unless you could find an enclosed oval somewhere that would be willing, we used to have Greyhound playgroup at the German Shepherd Assoc in Southern River they had a huge enclosed straight track the Greys could run up and down to their hearts content but then they wouldn't allow us to go there anymore.

We would definately be up for it as I'm sure would other Greyhound owners, if you need a hand please let me know.

Julie

Yes, finding the venue will be the hard part, but now i know there are people out there who would be interested in getting involved in lure coursing, I will start poking around and see what I can come up with.

Will keep you all posted thru this thread :o