Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Well day one of the Royal over and our team LABB Tested (Lab, Aussie and two Borders) won the Agility and came second in the Jumping..Yay!!! Brookie did a couple of really nice runs which for the amount of training he has had was impressive!!! People kept asking why I don't run him in agility more often...nah!!!!

Very hot in the afternoon and not a lot of room or shade when the sun comes in later on. Will be interesting tomorrow when the full contingent of agility competitors are there. We are having a rest day with Obedience on the Monday. Not feeling particularly confident as its an incredibly distracting ring...much harder than our old grounds up the top.

Congratulations Bedazzledx2 and team and good luck to the rest going in the next few days.

and i forgot to ask if you are feeling very generous who the bitches are in the inter class and open class thanks :D i curious as to who my compettion is :D

okay scrap that i now know my comp but i also handling a puppy bitch can i have her competition??? THANKS

Edited by emery

Thanks for that Wazzat. So thats everyone who sells a dog right? not just registered breeders?

Nick re Compulsory Microchipping: I believe its for any dog to be registered so yes ANKC members, but I have also heard that the DOG ACT 1976 Review will be looking at compulsory chips for all animals sold, which I think is a great idea.

Wont be long before DNA profile testing is mandatory too hopefully!

Well done Bedazzled and team :thumbsup:

I thought it was compulsory from 1 July this year for microchipping prior to ANKC rego...

Below is a summary of the initiatives.

Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC)

The ANKC has moved to make microchipping compulsory for all registered pedigree dogs across Australia. Microchipping must now be done before registration of a puppy. This will be enforced in all states and territories from 1st January 2012. This is a great step forward to enable positive identification of pedigree dogs and to help drive regulatory change towards compulsory microchipping for all puppies by their breeders. This is a critical step for reliable breeder traceability and accountability.

Victoria

RSPCA Victoria has advised that: The new Victorian government has committed to implementing their promises made during the election. A consultation document has been developed by the Bureau of Animal Welfare which has been sent to key stakeholders and we are in the process of formulating our detailed response. This document will form the basis of the Department of Primary Industries’ advice to the government. We have also been advised by the Minister that the official review of the Domestic Animals Act – Code of Practice for the operation of Breeding and Rearing Establishments will happen in mid-year and that the RSPCA will be a member of the reference group. We are also in the early stages of equipping our Inspectors with the knowledge needed to enforce this Code.

Western Australia

The WA Government is considering the introduction of compulsory microchipping and they are planning to review the WA Dog Act this year.

The RSPCA has written to the WA Minister recommending the principles outlined in the Way Forward document. In particular, we have emphasized the need for compulsory microchipping by the breeder prior to sale or transfer and the introduction of a breeder identification system.

South Australia

The SA Government is currently considering introducing compulsory microchipping. RSPCA have written to the Minister, the South Australian Cat and Dog Management Board and the Animal Welfare Unit, Department Environment and Natural Resources highlighting the need for microchipping to be undertaken by the breeder to enable breeder traceability and the other principles outlined in the Way Forward document.

The SA Code of Practice for the Care and Management of Animals in the Pet Trade is currently in the final draft stages of review.

Australian Capital Territory

The ACT government is reviewing the ACT Code of Practice for the Sale of Animals in the ACT.

The ACT Greens have tabled a Bill regarding proposed regulations for the breeding and sale of companion animals.

Tasmania

Compulsory microchipping will be introduced in Tasmania from 1 July 2011. The requirement is that all dogs over six months of age will have to be microchipped. While this is a positive in the right direction, we hope future amendments will ensure pups are legally required to be microchipped by the breeder with the breeder’s details recorded on the microchip register.

Queensland

The QLD government has announced the introduction of a Breeder ID number system. The Breeder ID number will be legally required to be displayed in any advertisement and provided at any sale or transfer of a puppy in QLD. This will also involve compulsory microchippping of breeding bitches; a requirement that the registration number/microchip number of the breeding bitch must be included as part of the microchip information on all animals bred from that dog and the development of Dog Breeder Standards by Biosecurity Queensland (DEEDI) in consultation with stakeholders. Breeders will continue to be subject to the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 and the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA) as well as any new requirements under the proposed Dog Breeder Standards under ACPA.

NSW

We are hopeful the new NSW government will act on some of the initiatives proposed and we encourage groups and individuals to write to the new Premier.

While these positive steps are encouraging, much more action is needed to end puppy farming in Australia. We would greatly appreciate your organisation’s advocacy to all State and Territory Governments in relation to the principles in the Way Forward document. In particular, calling for compulsory microchipping by the breeder prior to sale or transfer and a breeder ID system for those states yet to introduce these critical requirements.

We hope that these initiatives will encourage you and your organisations to continue campaigning to bring an end to puppy farming in Australia.”

Well day one of the Royal over and our team LABB Tested (Lab, Aussie and two Borders) won the Agility and came second in the Jumping..Yay!!! Brookie did a couple of really nice runs which for the amount of training he has had was impressive!!! People kept asking why I don't run him in agility more often...nah!!!!

Very hot in the afternoon and not a lot of room or shade when the sun comes in later on. Will be interesting tomorrow when the full contingent of agility competitors are there. We are having a rest day with Obedience on the Monday. Not feeling particularly confident as its an incredibly distracting ring...much harder than our old grounds up the top.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I'm coming to watch the obedience tomorrow(going to be a nigel no friends since Candice stood me up! :p ). Where has it moved to?

Bring a chair and come say hello!!! We are now at Gate 1 next to the show dogs.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I'm coming to watch the obedience tomorrow(going to be a nigel no friends since Candice stood me up! :p ). Where has it moved to?

ah thanks for that Wazzat. I just thought its about time we caught up. I think they have had compulsory microchipping in nsw since 98

I have mine done anyway as I am terrified of them getting lost and never being able to find their way back home!! Yes Nick, we havent been to many shows here, for some reason there hasnt been many on we could get too. Roll on night shows and early next year with a new dog I am hoping to get out to the show rings!