Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Guest RosieFT

I was me :-) . But am now wishing i had had a closer look! What are these i-squeaks you speak of? assume round, small squeaking balls! ;-) .

I have just been to Red Dot to buy CiderBear a chain - since she is 2 leads from 2 nights out so far this week.

While there - I also purchased two imitation i-squeak balls (the small ones - ok they are not as good as the genuine i-squeaks as the rubber is much tougher so they are harder to squeak - but at $2.99 each I thought that I would give them a go. :eek:

Is Cider a boy or girl :mad ?

Yep small round balls that are fairly plyable that the dogs love squeaking. They come in 3 sizes and the small ones are ideal for sticking in your pocket and using at training.

A couple of my kids aren't ball orientated, but they certainly love the i-squeaks, and so do just about every other dog that I have suggested try them. Unfortunately if you can find somewhere in Oz that sells them they are really expensive. They are much cheaper in the US (Clean Run) but then you have to pay postage.

Cider is a very cute girl :eek: . Tollers are a bit stand offish aren't they Ptolomy? Maybe at the Western Classic I can try to introduce Lincoln to one. :mad

I think there was a Toller shown recently... I used to (many many years ago) help handle a Toller from time to time, and he was quite friendly

I think they're pretty friendly but can't really remember when I first met Ptolomy's crew? Although I'm pretty sure Jaffa and River were friendly when I met them. I do have a terrible memory though!

The lady that owns the other Chessie also has a Toller so maybe they will bring her down to the Classic. I have been in contact with her and shes going to come say hi to me and Lincoln at the show. :eek:

CnR will you be at the gundog ring at the Western Classic?

I mean Tollers (and Chessies) are a bit stand offish compared to Goldens Labs and Flats right?

Edited by valleywa

Guest RosieFT

Thanks for the info Ptolomy :-) .. which leads me to my next question.. I have seen smaller squeaky balls that i feel would be great for having in pocket, but was concerned about Rosie swallowing them? Is that not a concern? My pouch is a bit full with treats, medium squeaky football, and ball on rope... need to get a better system. hmmm .. maybe a light snap shackle to hand ball/rope on??

what do you all do?

RFT - Kyzer is CRAZY about the small cuz balls which are the same size as the small isqueaks from what I can gather and he has never choked on one, I don't think it would actually fit in his throat. Bigger dogs that have come over have played with them and never had a problem either.

He has also played with small (1 inch diameter) bouncy balls OH bought him and hasn't had a problem, although I did confiscate those for peace of mind!

You could get a clip to clip the ball on a rope to your pants but this probably isn't a good idea if Rosie will jump up and self reward :eek:

What about a bigger bum bag just for toys?

I just have a tiny latex toy and a tiny tug toy and they both fit in my back pocket :mad

EFS

Edited by amypie

The Toller breed standard states:

The Toller is highly intelligent, alert, outgoing, and ready for action, though not to the point of nervousness or hyperactivity. He is affectionate and loving with family members and is good with children, showing patience. Some individuals may display reserved behavior in new situations, but this is not to be confused with shyness. Shyness in adult classes should be penalized.

I guess the difference is that with a lab anybody that comes up is their new bestest friend - tollers are more likely to stand back, sus you out and then come up and say hello when they are good and ready. Most of my kids and young tollers in general struggle with having a judge walk up and get into their space and want to handle them - in an ideal world if I could stand and talk to the judge for 5 minutes and then have them go over them it would make life much easier!

Yes there is a toller being shown at the moment - not many points needed now for her CH title and then I will bring Cider Bear out - oh thats after she has learnt to stand!

RosieFT my kids are a bit smaller than your Aussie, so I don't really worry about them swallowing the balls. Rubystar has been using them with her labs - so she might be a better person to ask. I can understand your pouch problem. Last night I had poo bags, food, a jackpot container, which was leaking blood from the goat meat, a clicker and a ball in my pocket - ARGH!

The lady that owns the other Chessie also has a Toller so maybe they will bring her down to the Classic. I have been in contact with her and shes going to come say hi to me and Lincoln at the show. :eek:

CnR will you be at the gundog ring at the Western Classic?

I mean Tollers (and Chessies) are a bit stand offish compared to Goldens Labs and Flats right?

I will be everywhere at the Classic... Have to seriously sit down and figure out what I am showing tho... I know they have taken goldies out for one of the days and they are on Friday night. But on the other day I will be... for some of the time hehe.

:eek: Pssst Ptolomy RosieFT has a Smooth Fox Terrier

Mmmmm nothing like delicious goat blood leaking all through your pockets :mad

OOps - back in my box - the small i-squeaks are ideal for a smooth fox terrier! LOL

Alzheimers again!

Ptolomy, from memory Cider loves cuddles... or maybe I am just special :mad She could have definitely come home with me (although I would not be handing her back fully trained ROFL).

In terms of dog aggressive dogs at agility training you would probably be suprised how many are! I could name probably 5 or 6 dogs who are aggressive if another dog gets too close and that is without thinking hard. One of "my" girls can be, but she is never put in a situation to test it out. We are always (usually) aware of exactly where she is and what other dogs are doing around her.

Some dogs do like doing zoomies and visiting. Banjo went and visited another dog last night (I think he decided it was sexy coz it looked a bit like him :rofl:) :eek: He usually has a good recall but went into "I can't hear you" mode. Luckily he doesn't rush up and the other dog was fine and I quickly got him and apologised. If the other dog did snap at him though or the owner intervened to make sure he couldn't get to her dog I would except full responsibility.

Like I said Mirawee, my girl isnt aggressive, but I just didnt want to put her into a risky situation.

This Show N Go this weekend - cause im too lazy to look back thru the pages... what day and time is it.. Might come down for a gander

The details were ommitted from the Canine News :eek: Start time will be around 6.30 to 7 depending on the weather.

Like I said Mirawee, my girl isnt aggressive, but I just didnt want to put her into a risky situation.

This Show N Go this weekend - cause im too lazy to look back thru the pages... what day and time is it.. Might come down for a gander

I don't get a journal, and I was going to PM Ptolomy about it, but some people here are interested so I'll ask here :eek:

Do you just roll up, and pay $2 and wait your turn to have a run? (Agility)

There's nothing that really needs to be done beforehand?

CnR, I got that :thumbsup: Was just commenting on how many dog aggressive dogs there actually are running around off lead at dog training/trials :thumbsup: Of course they are all ones that are only aggressive when their personal space is invaded.

The Show'n'Go is on Saturday night with start time down as 6.30pm. Given the sun is in competely the wrong spot around 7pm though in order to do agility I would imagine the agility side of it might start a bit later though - or start then stop for a bit. However aim for 6.30pm <G> And yep, just rock up and pay your $2. You are generally given a ticket and there are also usually lists to put your dog's name down on.

CnR, I got that :thumbsup: Was just commenting on how many dog aggressive dogs there actually are running around off lead at dog training/trials :thumbsup: Of course they are all ones that are only aggressive when their personal space is invaded.

The Show'n'Go is on Saturday night with start time down as 6.30pm. Given the sun is in competely the wrong spot around 7pm though in order to do agility I would imagine the agility side of it might start a bit later though - or start then stop for a bit. However aim for 6.30pm <G> And yep, just rock up and pay your $2. You are generally given a ticket and there are also usually lists to put your dog's name down on.

I can actually come down and not be distracted by the show!!! hehehe