Ndtf Distance Course

kayla1

Couldn't find this in previous threads but for those that have done the NDTF distance course, what is the time commitment involved? I notice the info pack says the course doesn't interfere with regular employment, but roughly how many hours of study per week is involved?

You need to put time into watching the DVD's, transcribe notes from the DVD's. You may even watch them a few times. Going over notes, further research and assignments, training complex skills to a dog/s. Plus setting aside the time for the two prac training blocks which are pretty intensive long days. It's certainly doable but if life gives you a few hiccups (which it did me) it can get difficult to juggle committments to the course but you can request extensions if needed.

Meh, i didnt find it too hard, I taught the complex skills in a few days, and only watched a bit of the DVDs, the worst was doing the block training. I did most of the assessments during TV ad breaks :)
I'm like Teebs, didn't take up much of my time. Done it two years ago and still haven't watched a couple of the dvds. Read the course notes sent that same day and taught complex skill in three days.

Which skill did you guys teach?

Fetching a beer from the fridge was mine.

Below is a video from day three. She's not my dog. By day six (20mins a day) she could do it with distractions like meat and other food in the fridge and from various parts of the house. She had never had any sort of training (other then sit) and she picked up the clicker quite quickly.

ETA: I know she's fat but her owner doesn't think so.

Edited by WildatHeart

I did playing dead, and fetching on command (Kaos at the time could only sit, knew nothing else, so was learning from scratch)

Honestly, think hard about doing it, the office people are very slack, i know people who have passed almost 12 months ago and still dont have their certs, and others who finished their last assessment in March and have not yet heard if they have passed or not :laugh:

I really wanted to do the course too and looked into it as it sounded really good. As i am in Adelaide i would have to do the distance course and that only has limited electives. The two subjects i really wanted to do (obedience class and tracking) were not available so i didnt think it was worth paying all that money to do electives i was not interested in. Plus they say there are 2 week long prac blocks in Melb but they are actually 2 ten day blocks which means a total of three weeks away which adds to the costs.

I did it in Melb (not distance) and still had time for a full time job, part time job, dog training twice a week and sport.

you can if you want to :laugh: It is worth doing but I agree with Teebs, they can be slack so you have to push them.

I think it's easier if you own your own dog (although I dont understand people doing a dog trainers course and never having owned a dog ... anyhoo) as you have spare kick in front of the telly time with them to slot some training in.

A few things my dogs already knew so that wasn't too bad. The prac hours are very managable even with everything going on and if you're dog obsessed already, oh well whats a few more hours hanging around training centres with pooches!