New Possumless Home Needed

Janba

Update on the juvenile deliquent possum problem - it is not more.

A short while ago I had a really bad reaction to a flu shot and interferon injection on the same day that made my MS worse so I had trouble walking. I prepared the dogs dinner and no dally in sight which for a dally is unheard of. I had visions of dally digging under the fence and roaming the neighbourhood when all I wanted was to go to bed and sleep. Went out into the back yard and said dally was up the back feasting on the juvenile deliquent possum :( It must have decided to take its teasing one step too far and come with in reach of the pirhauna (sp) jaws.

I managed to stumble up the hill that is my backyard, falling several times but luckily missing then unpicked up dog poo and wrested the half eaten carcass from the jaws of death. It was garbage night so I decided that I had better put the garbage out with the evidence in it before it attracted the blowies and smelt the place out. Stumbled down the hill with the bin and fell again at the kurbside. While I was rolling around on the nature strip a car came up the road, slowed down, watched me then sped off probably thinking that a quiet mountain suburb had become den of eniquity full of drunks from the hotel down the road.

The BC now spends his evenings watching in vain for a sight of the possum on the neighbours and the dally I think is just waitinbg for a new resident possum and another feast. I don't like my dogs killing possums but if they come within reach there is not much more I can do. I do hope the next resident piossum is a nice well behaved female.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dad on the other hand has never recovered from the ordeal :(

:):o:( What a great story!

Whenever I see possum roadkill around here I have a little silent wish it's the bastard sniper that sits on my back fence and stirs up my dogs. No such luck...yet. I'll drive faster!

the possums are an easy one here , they stay on the other side of the fence and tend to run away when they spot the dogs , the wombats however stand at the fence and growl back at the dogs , we have a big old male who has his den about 10 meters from the rear house fence , send the dogs out to do a loo stop at the wrong time and they growl at each other through the fence,

the wallaby and roo population are good they just bolt , LOL possums are the least of it when it comes to natives the wombats are a scary thing when it comes to dogs , this old bugger will growl at and take on a car !! Oh our dogs sleep inside although if they are hunting they are silent the only animals they bark at are foxes and humans every thing else is potential dinner and you dont want to make it run away before you can get a hold of it

R.I.P. poor possum ;) xxx

Janba, hope you are feeling much better, sounds awful.!

we had a weird possum happening a few weeks ago.

a young female actually fell!!!! out of a tree :eek::laugh::laugh:

I could not believe it at all. I'm wondering if something was wrong with her, but she'd always been OK before that. So, she fell out, right at the paws of my spinone, the viz took no notice at all, but the spin was very excited. I ripped (ugly sight!) my t shirt off to pick possum up, she bit me of course, and checked her out but the spin had not even mouthed her, no saliva etc..

the poor thing was paralysed!! no movement at all in legs or tail. I put her on my lap andd was about to take her to the vet in a cat crate, when she died :D :)

I don't have a clue how or what could have caused it. nothing touched her etc. as I saw the whole scenario. poor little girl. ;)

Our sheltie girl used to have a special bark that said, 'Come on. Work to be done here.' One morning she alerted us to a mother possum who'd fallen from the mango treee with a baby on her back. She'd fallen because she was already dead. But the tiny baby was alive. We called the wildlife carer (wonderful lady) who came & got the baby....which survived & thrived. These wildlife carers deserve every bit of support. Our local one in the Arana Hills area of Brisbane is always asking for cages & sheets & towels. PM if you want her contact number.

Our present 2 tibbie girls take no notice of the possums even tho' they thud across the roof at night as if they're wearing big boots. But the tibbie girl next door can figure out there's a possum nearby....& tells it off at top note . Her 'dad' has built a possum box & platform in their front garden to divert the possums away from bossy Lily who's kept at the back.

RIP Possum & hope you are feeling better Janba.

I have super cute little possums that live under my veranda. They are little, reddish ringtails. They do drive the BC nuts! I was standing with a friend looking at one day, wondering what variety of possum they were, I hadn't been able to find them online. The silly thing fell off the veranda into the jaws of a BC, that immediately swung it into a tree and killed it! Literally as I was saying 'I wonder if they are a rare species'. OMG so embarrassing!

I would currently like to rehome either 2 BC girls or 1 pony! They are driving me nuts with their 'playing'. The score is currently Pony 1 BC 0!