Puppy Doesnt Like Eukanuba Kibble

finalflash

Hi all,

First time post here. I have a 5 1/2 month old Samoyed pup who is the best :thumbsup: However I have noticed over time from pretty much day 1 that he does not like the Eukanuba kibble we feed him.

When I say he doesn't like it he never eats it when I put it down for him he nibbles at it all day and hardly eats much at all.. Definitely no where near the recommended intake for each day for his weight. He is my first dog so I havent got much experience but all my friends and wife have had dogs and they say their dogs gobble the kibble down.

Anything else I feed him disappears immediately, ie raw chicken, lamb, leftovers etc etc.... Just this damm Eukanuba hardly gets touched....

I am thinking its the brand of dog food and I am going to change it next time but has anyone else experienced similar things? Any brand I should move too?

I ask because my GSD wont eat kibble if its dry...

She hated eukanuba so we tried advance and proplan but they didnt agree with her so have found that royal canin mixed with Eagle pack holistic works well for her...

It depends what your dog does best on....

Our puppy's 6 months now and he also didn't like Eukanuba Kibble. He's a Labrador as well and eats ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!

We tried soaking it in warm water because it is very dry but he sniffed around and didn't scoff it as he normally does!. We brought the big bag 12-15kg and it took us ages to finish it but swapped back to Royal Cainine brand.

Consequently he's back to scoffing!!

not soaking it in water, wasn't aware I should be doing that?

Euk is just what the breeder recommended and I am thinking my pup just doesn't like it

You shouldn't have to soak it, the pup is 5.5months old.

Mix something with the dry and see how you go first before changing it.

Try tuna, sardines, egg, veggies or 1 tea spoon yoghurt im sure there is a big list of other things you could. Try one of each on different nights, then you will see what your pup actually likes.

If you are absolutely determined to feed him dry food then you're just going to have to change to something he does like. Try to find sample packs or at least brands that offer a money back guarantee

But since you're half way there adding other things to his dry food, why not investigate a more natural diet - it's pretty simple (especially with the commercial patties available) and he's shown you what he does like already.

Personally I wouldn't feed eukanuba to a dying rat.

Personally I dont like Eukanuba for my Samoyeds but each to their own.

My dogs dont really like kibble all that much either but two I have found they will eat is Pro Plan (Salmon) or Nutro (Natural Choice, Lamb and Rice)

We also mix it with something so raw mince or sardines, sometimes they get a little cottage cheese too.

not soaking it in water, wasn't aware I should be doing that?

Euk is just what the breeder recommended and I am thinking my pup just doesn't like it

You shouldn't have to soak it, the pup is 5.5months old.

Mix something with the dry and see how you go first before changing it.

Try tuna, sardines, egg, veggies or 1 tea spoon yoghurt im sure there is a big list of other things you could. Try one of each on different nights, then you will see what your pup actually likes.

It doesnt matter how old the pup is it can still get bloat and should prob be soaked in water as a precaution.. well thats we have done for almost 3 years...

Edited by charli73

It wouldnt hurt soaking the food, or mixing with something else to see if pup will eat it. However i dont think you really need to soak it unless your pup is just starting on dry or the vet recommends this specific method. What kind of food did pup first start of on? Go ahead and try Artemis. Done a lot of research on dry food, and Artemis seemed the way to go for me. Read up on it, mine has the medium/large breed puppy formula and luvs it :laugh:

It doesnt matter how old the pup is it can still get bloat and should prob be soaked in water as a precaution.. well thats we have done for almost 3 years...

Please be very careful dispensing advice like this as bloat is caused by many factors, and many, many dogs who have only had soaked kibble still have had bloat.

If a dry food contains ascorbic acid it is generally recommended not to soak the kibble (some packaging actually says not to be wetted) as there have been some reports suggesting this may be a risk factor.

Good quality dry foods don't need soaking unless to soften for either very young or very old dogs. Adding sardines or other oily fish, a small amount of wet food, a complete raw egg or fresh meat will provide a more enticing dish.

Some dogs love Euk and won't change off it. But there are certainly some great alternatives suggested here - we find palatability high with Artemis (have a number of Sami customers on it), as well as Royal Canin and Nutrience - and all have sample packs.

Enjoy your bundle of fluff!

Sags

:laugh:

I put it down for him he nibbles at it all day and hardly eats much at all.

Feed your puppy at meal times, put the food out for 5-10min then take it away.

Your a helping to create a fuzzy eater, If he is hungry he will eat.

If you are feeding just dry food, i would not like it either,

Most importantly have you talked about this with your breeder?

They know what is best for their lines/breed and i bet they have been there before :laugh:

I feed dry food, a litter water (no soaked) chicken mince - and extras like eggs, chicken wings/necks, liver etc

I put it down for him he nibbles at it all day and hardly eats much at all.

Feed your puppy at meal times, put the food out for 5-10min then take it away.

Your a helping to create a fuzzy eater, If he is hungry he will eat.

Agree with the above - don't leave food out - he has 10 minutes to eat it or he misses that meal. He will not starve himself.

Having said that my dog also hated Eukanuba.

There is nothing wrong with feeding just dry food if it is a super-premium food as it is a complete diet. You can replace a meal with fresh raw meaty bones such as chick wings, drumsticks, brisket bones etc 3-4 times a week. Personally I like the convenience of dry food +RMBs and my dogs are doing well on this.

I would not soak the dry food - he is old enough to eat it dry and if you soak it it has no benefits for his teeth.

Edited by macka

As said dogs can bloat from a number of causes. Such as exercising too soon b4 & after exercise, eating too much kibble i.e. if they get to it behind your back & then drinking a lot afterwards ( the kibble expands in the gut) which is why it's sometimes recommended to soak 1st.