Cocking The Leg To Pee

PuggaWuggles

Hi all,

Wuggles is a nearly 5 month old male Pug,i was just curious as to how old a pup will be until he starts cocking his leg to pee,he still squats like a girl.Even on walks,he does not cock his leg,he hardly ever even pee's when we walk him?

Thanks everyone for any info.

Edited by PuggaWuggles

Some squat all their lives. Most will begin to cock their legs between 6mos - 2 years. If they spend time with another dog that cocks and marks repeatedly they learn a lot quicker I have found.

I wouldn't worry about him not peeing much either on walks. He is still just a baby and so the idea of marking territory has not developed in him. In fact, in some ways, you are better off if it never fully develops as you will have less prolems with him marking in inappropriate places.

Some squat all their lives. Most will begin to cock their legs between 6mos - 2 years. If they spend time with another dog that cocks and marks repeatedly they learn a lot quicker I have found.

I wouldn't worry about him not peeing much either on walks. He is still just a baby and so the idea of marking territory has not developed in him. In fact, in some ways, you are better off if it never fully develops as you will have less prolems with him marking in inappropriate places.

Thanks PugRescue,where do pups get the idea of marking territory,i mean they know they are out of the house on a walk,but continue to mark their territory?

Wugs hangs around an older male Pug when we take him to visit,so he may soon pick up the leg cocking. I know this other male Pug was a terrible territory marker,on the curtains,the dishwasher,chairs,couches,everything,is this normal to mark this much inside the house,and how do i stop it if Wugs starts to do the same?

I must say,once the older male Pug had the chop,the marking inside stopped after a while.

:confused: I asked my vet this question last week and the response was..quote " If they are desexed before the start to cock thier leg, they probably never will..

otherwise it might be up to 2 years".....

It looks funny I have both dogs outside for a Pee Stop the Bull Terrier Entire male pup squats and the desexed Male Chi(1.8kgs) Lifts his leg.. :laugh:

It has more to do with the dogs attitude - he may never or he may pick it up from another dog.

I have a bitch here that at 5 1/2 still does it ... don't be too excited it's only widdling :confused:

I have known a few female dogs that cock their legs to pee,but no male dogs that still squat.Will other dogs laugh at him :rofl: ? :eek::laugh:

Edited by PuggaWuggles

:confused: I asked my vet this question last week and the response was..quote " If they are desexed before the start to cock thier leg, they probably never will..

otherwise it might be up to 2 years".....

It looks funny I have both dogs outside for a Pee Stop the Bull Terrier Entire male pup squats and the desexed Male Chi(1.8kgs) Lifts his leg.. :laugh:

I'd agree somewhat with the Vet to a degree. If the dog is desexed before sexual maturity and does not associate a lot with other male dogs that mark, they may never do it.

Marking territory is a natural insitinct in a dog. Inappropriate marking (inside on furnishings etc) is more to do with dominance, training and if they are entire or not. A desexed male will mark less than an undesexed male.

I have known a few female dogs that cock their legs to pee,but no male dogs that still squat.Will other dogs laugh at him

I know a lot of dogs that still squat. My grandparents JRT x Cattle dog still does and he's over 10, desexed late. Just doesnt.

It doesnt matter if he does or doesnt cock his leg, other dogs don't care at all. I dont see why so many people get so wound up that their dog wont lift his leg and mark. Lifting the leg is about marking for territoriality not simply about toileting. My rottweiler will mark lifting his leg, or pee on all fours depending on the purpose of the wee and he's over 2 years old.

A lot bigger things to worry about in a dog then whether it can mark or not.

I have known a few female dogs that cock their legs to pee,but no male dogs that still squat.Will other dogs laugh at him

I know a lot of dogs that still squat. My grandparents JRT x Cattle dog still does and he's over 10, desexed late. Just doesnt.

It doesnt matter if he does or doesnt cock his leg, other dogs don't care at all. I dont see why so many people get so wound up that their dog wont lift his leg and mark. Lifting the leg is about marking for territoriality not simply about toileting. My rottweiler will mark lifting his leg, or pee on all fours depending on the purpose of the wee and he's over 2 years old.

A lot bigger things to worry about in a dog then whether it can mark or not.

I know Nekhbet,i was only having a laugh :confused: ,I am not worried or wound about it at all,just curious,in fact it would be alot easier if he didnt cock his leg and mark his territory :laugh: .

Thanks for the advise

I've had pups that cocked their leg at 9 weeks, others that were 2 years old before they did it. It's really an individual thing.

My youngest boy stated cocking his leg at 9 weeks, it was a bit of a shock to see him do it that young, do they really copy of other dogs I wonder if he would have done it so young if he had been the only dog?? My oldest was nearly 2 before he cocked his leg.

Our Aussie shepherd boy still squats at 9 months old, I hope he squats forever..

We went for a walk in front of a row of restaurants a few nights ago and Sparky did a wee on the grass over to the side, so OH praised him for being a 'good girl' because he was embarrassed his boy dog squats :(

My two boys are almost 6 months old, and I witnessed Lloyd cocking his leg for the first time a few days ago on our morning walk! Seven still squats though. And I haven't noticed Lloyd do it again. They're getting desexed soon so hopefully that will nip it in the bud :confused:

Onslow at 5 next week stretches out like a horse does and wees, he was desexed at about five months old, he has never lifted his leg

I have had FlashBazil for just over two years, so Ons would have been three when Flashy arrived and Flashy mostly does lift his leg (foster failure desexed when approx 1 year) but that hasn't encouraged Ons to lift his leg, he just wees over the spot Flash does when they are playing their macho games with each other

and no Flash doesn't laugh at Ons at all :confused::laugh::mad

Interestingly when ons was a pup my maltese was alive and SHE would lift her leg on everything but Onsy never copied.