Ear Drops Solo

Leema

Mac has medication for his ears. I need to get a hard tube in and squirt. Mac does not approve.

Any suggestions on making this easier? I live alone. I've done this before with one person grabbing, one person squirting.

Today I shaped him to at least tolerate me waving the thing near his ear. I got a bit in but know it needs to be more to get better!

It doesn't help that the one that needs it more hurts! :rofl:

its tough, but he needs to get it in his ear so you have to persist

D (45kg) doesn't like his ears being cleaned, but gets it done every so often, and I used to clean my cats ears monthly - very slippery animals

prob best way to do it is to hook him under your left arm (if right handed), both of you facing forward, and hold his side tight against your side, grab his muzzle with your left hand, coming up from his chest, and flip and hold open his ear with the side of your right and and then put the drops him :rofl: i hope there is a video on youtube to explain it.

Maybe try it after he's had a walk and is a little tired.

if your trying to come at him from the front, at least try something less confrontational

Mac has medication for his ears. I need to get a hard tube in and squirt. Mac does not approve.

Any suggestions on making this easier? I live alone. I've done this before with one person grabbing, one person squirting.

Today I shaped him to at least tolerate me waving the thing near his ear. I got a bit in but know it needs to be more to get better!

It doesn't help that the one that needs it more hurts! :)

Could you try doing it while he's sleeping? Or really tired?

I have a great dane, who I used to straddle to clean her ears. One day, she decided she wasn't happy with that idea anymore and I went for a quick ride through the house :rofl: Now I clean her ears while she's asleep. Okay, she wakes up but stays still at least :rofl:

I just approach the dog with the tube in my pocket or behind my back, walk around, pat the dog, then out of their view get the tube, hold the dog, squirt the drops in and give the ear a nice rub. It's never failed me before, worked for my brother's dog, who wouldn't let them put the drops in.

Just need to be confident and quick and don't faff about :)

I use a syringe for my Mac (chronic ear infections and in for surgery today - see the Pseudomonas thread) - and yes thats the way I do it too - come up behind him, give his ears a scratch, put his muzzle down (to straighten the canal as much as possible), put the syringe in, plunge, rub ear and give a small treat - get in and get out and don't faff about as others have said. He often barely realises its happened.

Oh and BTW, if I'm ever treating both ears, I have two syringes - one with a red rubber band around it for the right ear - so I don't mix them up and risk any sort of cross infection. I also rinse the sygringes out in hot water after every use.