Where Can I Get Cod Liver Oil?

My breeder has recommended getting cod liver oil to put into our BARF mix to help puppy break down all the calcium in that and the bones that he is given. However I can't find it at any of our local chemists!

Where can I get it or is there an alternative I can use?

My breeder has recommended getting cod liver oil to put into our BARF mix to help puppy break down all the calcium in that and the bones that he is given. However I can't find it at any of our local chemists!

Where can I get it or is there an alternative I can use?

You can purchase Cod Liver Oil at any produce/feed store

If your dog lives a lot of its time outdoors, it will be getting ample Vitamin D , as this vitamin is synthesised by the sunlight .

Dogs spending much time indoors miss out on this- and may need a supplement. Be careful though- excess vit. D can be toxic!! ( rare occurrence)

Put the dog outside for ten minutes a day. Cod liver oil in the wrong proportions causes the calcium to become inaccessible, not more accessible and has been proven to CAUSE rickets. Personally I would not be supplementing Vit D in any animal that can go outside.

IMO this is a very old hold-over from UK breeders, who can be in the position of not being able to get adequate sunshine for their pups for weeks at a time in winter. Honestly I don't think this is an issue in Australia!

Edited by Sandra777