Rally Obedience

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :rofl:

Exactly, as well, the dog should not stop before dropping. The ideal moving down has the dog IN MOTION slide to the drop position. Deductions occur for anything less than that.

Well yes, just like formal obedience :cheer:

I have no idea about this other exercise you guys are talking about, perhaps I should read the rules and be training :o I assume this is a station we didn't cover in the seminar?

We did RS. Maybe you need to brush up on your novice stations :laugh:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :rofl:

Exactly, as well, the dog should not stop before dropping. The ideal moving down has the dog IN MOTION slide to the drop position. Deductions occur for anything less than that.

I have no idea about this other exercise you guys are talking about, perhaps I should read the rules and be training :o I assume this is a station we didn't cover in the seminar?

Which station is this? You guys are talking about walking backwards, and I don't recall us doing that in any of the courses we ran!

Which station is this? You guys are talking about walking backwards, and I don't recall us doing that in any of the courses we ran!

I thoought you meant the moving down. The backwards with dog at frint is novice, backward with dog at side is advanced.

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :heart:

Well yes, just like formal obedience :wave:

I have no idea about this other exercise you guys are talking about, perhaps I should read the rules and be training :laugh: I assume this is a station we didn't cover in the seminar?

We did RS. Maybe you need to brush up on your novice stations :)

I thoought you meant the moving down. The backwards with dog at frint is novice, backward with dog at side is advanced.

:p I'm the one who gave you a link to the moving down we did at the seminar, and as discussed above ;)

Yep its the backward with dog at side that I was confused over!

is there any chance at all you could make Wednesday mornings ? We had a great time this Wednesday Jill Houston set up a very interesting and challenging course which I bombed out on but it was great fun. Also why don't you hang around for a bit on Mondays ? we set up around 8.15 as soon as a trainer is free ( and the ground is quieter) on the main arena. The newbies are enjoying the experience and it is fantastic to see them really kick in with lure, reward, encouragement or whatever to get around the course. I train till just before 9 so I shouldn't be watching but can't help myself :)

If the Houstons are getting involved in Rally I wonder if they'll do anything at Midland?

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :cry:

Well yes, just like formal obedience :drink:

I have no idea about this other exercise you guys are talking about, perhaps I should read the rules and be training :p I assume this is a station we didn't cover in the seminar?

We did RS. Maybe you need to brush up on your novice stations :)

;) I'm the one who gave you a link to the moving down we did at the seminar, and as discussed above :heart:

Yep its the backward with dog at side that I was confused over!

Yes i was thinking I swear RS sent me a link of this. :laugh: But after watching Ruby I got sidetracked watching clips of Lincoln and then I got sad :wave: Angelsun did you know Lincoln currently closer to you then me right now. :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone in the Brisbane area and those close enough who doesn't already know, Redlands Dog Obedience Club is holding a Rally O Seminar on Sunday 29th August commencing 10.00am at Judy Holt Park, Bailey Road, Birkdale.

Understand there will be 2 Courses to run, so bring along your best mate for a fun day out and learn the fundamentals of this great new sport (in Oz anyway). Give your dog and yourself a hige experience and try the Courses.

Tasmanian Dog Training Club at Churchill Park, Launceston Tasmania.

Beginning Rally Obedience

Five-week course commencing Sunday, 26th Sept.

One-hour sessions with 9.30am sharp start each Sunday.

Pre-requisite is completion of Tas Dog's Beginning obedience or demonstrable ability to train basic heeling, sit/drop/stand, stay/wait.

There will be a nominal fee; you will get handouts and course maps of the beginning courses we use.

Hoping www.tdtc.org.au site will have further info posted soon!

Trainer: Jan

Yes but in Rally, will you tape a torch to your head to read signs by? Now THAT would be dedication!!

I'll tell you dedication. Setting up your Rally-O Trial course in the snow to practice how you will judge it!

oh ick..yes I remember those times back living in the Great White North. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ipswich Dog Obedience Club & Redlands Dog Obedience Club, both in the Brisbane area, are holding Rally O evenings on Wednesday 29th September 2010 for beginners. Come along and have some fun in this new sport with your best mate.

BTW the recent seminar at Redlands Club was a huge success and enjoyed by all in attendance.

Rally O is really starting to take off in Queensland.

Damnnn I would love to enrol in the Rally o course starting in Launceston this coming Saturday but I'm not sure I have or my dog has the confidence just yet :rolleyes:

We can do a sit/drop and wait but our heel work isn’t the best … Guess it’s best we wait until the course is run again.

Hope all that are doing the course have a great time

*Lisa*

Damnnn I would love to enrol in the Rally o course starting in Launceston this coming Saturday but I'm not sure I have or my dog has the confidence just yet :confused:

We can do a sit/drop and wait but our heel work isn’t the best … Guess it’s best we wait until the course is run again.

Hope all that are doing the course have a great time

*Lisa*

Enroll....you WILL learn and you will find that your heel work will improve for it. Jan is the teacher and she is VERY good with her students, adjusting the class to suit what level they are at or what specific issues they might need.

Hi guys, we have just started doing Rally o at our obedience school. Things were dull and all the regulars were getting a bit bored with the same old stuff. It was great I loved it. I'm not sure where the instructor got the information from maybe the Internet? She is making the signs and we are just learning the basic of the first level so far. I have never seen this thread before and have not read through the whole thing.

Is there a DVD or anything out that would be of benefit to us?

We are doing it for fun and nothing more really were a small country club and wanted to give the dogs something different to do!

Please tell me that you are using the CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB Signs and not the AKC ones...ANKC is sanctioning the CANADIAN version of this, and using the other signs, as much as most are similar, are NOT the same and will get confusing.

You want to spruce it up and get energy going...give me a buzz..I"ll come and do the seminar....for those that have attended, they will attest that the energy level is WAY up there!

We went to our first class today over at Launceston :) ... Was very interesting and some people there with great dog handling skills ... We still gave it a go .. and will do the next 4 weeks as hope we can improve ...