Rally Obedience

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that the host club in Perth will be running classes prior to this event, however I know that most clubs wait til after the seminar and when they have a better understanding of the sport and stations, to run classes so that they don't risk teaching things incorrectly. I use some of the rally stations in my regular obedience class that I am teaching to break up the boring bits that can happen in those. My class is starting to get very excited when they come and see the signs pegged to the ground, knowing that they must warm up their dog correctly and quickly in order to go 'do the fun stuff'!

We are looking at an officially sanctioned event by next year (2011) if all goes as planned. Many are working very very hard to see this happen.

I'm also beginning to do the judges education seminars starting in a month or so, which means we are very close to seeing this sport finally come here and be enjoyed (by the masses!)

Hey, bring both...it's not big deal.....

And a word of advice....not having seen the application your speaking of for the iPhone....please don't go all out and practice stuff that may not be correct....you will end up VERY confused...

Remember peoples...this is a FUN thing and yes can be a lot to learn but once I'm done with you on the Saturday you will have a VERY clear understanding of the sport and you DONT have to come into the seminar with any experience or knowledge of either obedience or rally for that matter....(yes I"m that good! haha) Don't make this out to be more complex than it is....it's fun, simple and challenging all wrapped up into one.

Hey, bring both...it's not big deal.....

And a word of advice....not having seen the application your speaking of for the iPhone....please don't go all out and practice stuff that may not be correct....you will end up VERY confused...

Remember peoples...this is a FUN thing and yes can be a lot to learn but once I'm done with you on the Saturday you will have a VERY clear understanding of the sport and you DONT have to come into the seminar with any experience or knowledge of either obedience or rally for that matter....(yes I"m that good! haha) Don't make this out to be more complex than it is....it's fun, simple and challenging all wrapped up into one.

Sounds good. I think I will bring Lincoln because he is more focused and easier to manage in big crowds. But because (if I read right) the level up from novice has jumps I will take things nice and slowly with Lincoln.

Yes, the novice has no jumps, but we will ONLY be doing novice courses as the Advanced and Excellant are off lead and that is not what we're focusing on...remember, we are there to make sure YOU the handler understands this sport...from there, you train your dog.

Yes, the novice has no jumps, but we will ONLY be doing novice courses as the Advanced and Excellant are off lead and that is not what we're focusing on...remember, we are there to make sure YOU the handler understands this sport...from there, you train your dog.

Ok thats good to know. Will you be demonstarting any of the advanced or exellent exercises?

Edited by valleyCBR

We go through all the stations and explain them all in detail as well as you won't be sitting the whole time as you will have to go 'do' some of them to learn them properly. (I"m a firm believer in doing to learn properly)

Because of time restraints, we can't do advance or excellant courses....we just don't have the time....the lecture is 6+ hours with short breaks and every minute of it is used and lets face it..you only want to listen to me and this accent (what accent?) for that long!!!

The next day goes as long or longer depending on the group and you will be exhausted by the time I let you call it a day.

My hope is that those that attend that are instructors, will take these basics and begin teaching classes to use the more advanced stations and prepare for the trials that will happen.

As it turns out, I"ve not been welcomed to teach rally at the local dog club (go figure that mentality!) or I would be offering rally classes which progress people through the levels. This is something that needs to be done through your training club. All I can do in two days is explain the stations and how they work and beleive me, you will have a full head of it with Novice....as I say, wish I had a full week to train you all, but I don't.

(I've got to train a mob of judges on the Monday after the Perth Seminar so yes, I"ll be toast by the time they plop me back on the plane and send me home....poor Tony will have to deal with a very tired and likely grumpy wife when I return!!)

Hi There

What is the latest update for the Adelaide Seminar.

I have 2 dogs with CDX Titles and getting on in age.

I am keen to find something to keep them and me interested in working them for a few more years to come.

Looking forward to learning more about Rally O

Sounds great angelsun. It's going to be a full on weekend, I can already tell. :cry: It's great that you are doing so much to promote the sport!

It does sound very full on, poor Mason will probably sleep for a week after the sunday session....

It won't just be Mason that is tuckered out...so will you be!

As for the CDX dogs of advanced years..this sport is perfect for someone like you that wishes to continue to compete and trial, and yet is concerned about the welfare of your dogs, or has dogs that simply can't progress beyond CDX for whatever reason or another.

No one to date has committed to hosting a seminar in Adelaide. A few have chatted about it, but for one reason or another nothing has been done. Hopefully someone out there will take the bull by the horns....I don't have the connections to organize it, but I do help if needed to advise what should be done for advertising and how to run one of these.

Rally (Obedience) is on the left and combines with the traditional skills nicely, in fact Rally skills make for better traditional obedience. You learn more doing Rally and the skills encourage better and more precise traditional obedience.

Rally sounds like it will help with traditional club style obedience classes. From what I've seen on the web its got lots to offer. Looking forward to the seminars :)

Rally (Obedience) is on the left and combines with the traditional skills nicely, in fact Rally skills make for better traditional obedience. You learn more doing Rally and the skills encourage better and more precise traditional obedience.

It surprises me that people/clubs would be anti Rally O. I think it is heaps of fun and my dog and I competed successfully in obedience, agility and tracking before we started Rally O (we live in New Zealand). I like how the handler has to use their brain too, and I've more been concentrating on getting things right than trying to do it FAST ;) But hopefully get our third leg of Novice in a couple of weekends time then I might enter some Novice for fun and see if my brain can keep up at speed.

I've not heard of Rally in teams, but hey...who knows!!!

As for correct versus fast..I'm a firm believer that you do a quality run first and foremost...the time ONLY comes into it to sort out tie scores....if you get a perfect score but take twice as long, you will still win over the 99 score that took half as long as anyone else. (make sense?)

There are a LOT of Anti Rally people out there...and the majority are those that a) have never done it b) consider it a threat to their obedience trials or classes or c) can't understand or do it.

Yes you have to think...the judge only says "forward" and the rest is up to you, unlike traditional obedience where the judge is constantly telling you what to do.