Rally Obedience

Not sure how popular it would be even with ANKC recognition here - I have had discussions with DogsSA people and most of these discussions have centered on the belief that Rally titles (along with Dances with Dogs titles) are a joke and not worth the paper they are written on.

I am sure Adelaide could get the minimum numbers to attend just not sure if there would be a club prepared to back the running of it.

They need to come and try some of my courses and be marked by me....I'm sure that those that have attended my seminars will probably agree on that!

Yes those that have NEVER done this sport, see the basics of it and say...'so what?'....I can assure anyone thinking that.....by the time you are fully taught HOW this works and have run through some of my courses (and they all are Novice inspite of what some participants have said to me!) attitudes will change.

Rally requires far more skills than traditional obedience.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saying how the conversation went out our end of year breakup last year and its attitude which seems to be shared among a number of people not just one or two. SA is a very closed shop to anything new.

SA is not the only ones that can't get into change or something new..believe me, it's been a BIG lot of work for me to promote this sport nationally and try to get some of the die hard obedience judges to see what benefits this sport is for not only the clubs but more importantly the handlers and dogs.

Unfortunately as I mentioned...the majority that shun this sport, simply don't understand it or have never had any correct introduction to it. On the outside, this sport seems easy and simple and the attitude is 'why bother'? Like so many things though, once we get to learn the details, we see that this isn't the case at all. My goal is to hopefully show the clubs the details, let them experience as close to a real trial as I can pull together and then they are free to make up their minds as to how much they wish to participate in it. Like anything..no one holds a gun to anyones head.

I personally don't care for flyball and won't go do it, but I don't poo-poo those that do or go around saying 'what's the point'....it's the same thing with Rally in my opinion....hence why I work just that much harder to promote it and change the attitudes about it....still lots to do, and yes, I"ll be going to SA at some point and hopefully slowly change the minds of a few.

Well good on you angelsun! I think it took a while to catch on here too, but all of a sudden it is roaring away with a life of it's own, with a whole heap of people now with their RN titles and more wanting to join in!

The rally seems to have bought a lot of people BACK to classes and clubs, those that were jaded by the strict obedience world, and it's also seeming to interest new people who don't want the strict obedience, nor run flat-tack around agility but can see the chance to compete in something at their level.

Keep at it, I know it can be an uphill battle at times, but the success of it overseas, including down here, shows that once it DOES start catching on, it's great!!!

The rally seems to have bought a lot of people BACK to classes and clubs, those that were jaded by the strict obedience world, and it's also seeming to interest new people who don't want the strict obedience, nor run flat-tack around agility but can see the chance to compete in something at their level.

that's exactly right. What should be remembered is those that have strayed away from traditional obedience, will find a renewed interest in that sport and PLEASE remember, that Rally is NOT sloppy obedience..if anything it's more precise and tricky when it comes to heeling and proper positioning. (besides that, I'm a very hard marker...just ask some of those that have attended the seminars)

When Tiggy (I need the details :laugh: ) Rally is something I would really enjoy doing and Toby is starting obidience again next week. I saw the funniest clip on you-tube of a Chessie at rally-o, it didn't down but did a bow and stayed like that until it had to move, but you could see his tail wagging and just his bum over all the other dogs. :angel:

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this up and reminding people about the seminar coming up in March in Shepparton Vic

[email protected]

Please contact for more information and to sign up. Looking forward to seeing folks attend.

As well there will be a demo/fun day in Myrtleford coming up (details to follow) which will have a Rally course set up for anyone wanting to give it a go, as well as some agility, flyball and possibly conformation. Stay tuned formore details on this Ovens Valley Canine Club event.

• 3 weeks later...
Yay we're getting a seminar in July :laugh: .

so how do we get onto whoever is running this seminar as I would certainly be a starter, I am getting a new pup so would like to be into

rally by next year I would certainly like to go to the seminar beagie