Rally Obedience

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder that many of the videos on youtube or DVD's found on various book sites are not exactly what will be utilized under the ANKC rules when this sport is recognized, so although they can be a useful tool, don't study them so much that you follow either rules or signs as this won't be what really is used.

There are some video's uploaded and can be found through the Rally Obedience Down Under forum located at:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/RallyODownUnder/

I've noticed in rally the dog drops from a sit and the left about turn has to be with the dog going around the handler. I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem with obedience trialing dogs.

The dog doesn't always drop froma sit, there is a moving down exercise for example. The station that reads "left about turn" has the handler doing an about turn to the left, and the dog going behind the handler and to the right, to end up back on the handlers left to heel. It doesn't confuse the dogs beleive it or not, because another command is used such as 'around'. There are many other exercises that are not done in traditional obedience, but I have found that instead of confusing dogs, the tend to work better.

Want to say that the Shepparton bunch were fantastic this weekend and we had a great time both in class and on the field!! The dogs worked great and the weather was very cooperative. I think a bunch of people had information overload, but generally everyone did VERY well today at the practical portion of the seminar and I think we had a high score of 96 or 97 at one point on a tough course...so WELL DONE!!

Edited by angelsun

angelsun, I just wanted to thank you for this amazing weekend at Shepparton! I really enjoyed myself (and I think my dogs did too). I learnt heaps and can't wait to start introducing/integrating Rally into my club's training classes.

I look forward seeing Rally O trials held in Victoria soon!

• 3 weeks later...
http://southernriverdogclub.org.au/

Rally-O registration form. It doesn't open properly for me but I can read most of it. Who's thinking about going?

RALLY-OBEDIENCE SEMINAR

With HEATHER GREEN

The Southern River Agility and Obedience Dog Club will host a Rally Obedience Seminar on the weekend of July 3rd and 4th 2010 at the GSDA Grounds, Passmore Road Southern River and gratefully acknowledge the support of the GSDA for their generous contribution of the use of the GSDA grounds.

Heather, an experienced competitor and judge, has asked us to pass on this information to all participants:

The participant agrees that they will not hold the facility, the instructors, nor others involved with this seminar, responsible should injury occur either to their person or their dog and shall act in the best manner to ensure that their actions do not put themselves or others at any risk of injury. This includes being responsible for the dogs in their care at this event, in so much as they will not put themselves or their dogs in such a position to warrant aggressive acts or behaviours.

The instructor reserves the right to remove any dog or handler that has, or shows to be aggressive or disruptive to the remainder of the participants. As such there will be no refund.

Dogs are welcome on the second day of the seminar. It is recommended that dogs participating in this seminar have basic obedience skills, which include sit, down and are adequate in controlled heeling ability. There will be NO off-lead work, nor are there sit or down stays with the owner not in contact with the dog. Participants are welcome to bring more than one dog however you may only work with one dog per course.

Participants are encouraged to bring their own laptops and each will receive a copy of the power point presentation that will be outlined on the first day. (Please leave your dogs at home on the first day of the seminar) Times to be advised

All registrations and fees are to be received by the Southern River Agility and Obedience Dog Club no later than June 19th 2010 to ensure that the correct amount of class material be available. Payment may be paid directly to SRA&ODC each training night (Monday and Thursday evenings) or mailed to SRA&ODC, 2 Bunney Place, Byford 6122. The canteen will be open for refreshments

There will be no refunds; however substitutions may be permitted up to 3 days prior to the seminar.

SRA&ODC Members $50

Committee and Trainers of the GSDA $50

Accredited Dogs West Obedience Judges $50

Non SRA&ODC members $80

Please note all fees are for the two day seminar, there is NO provision

for attendance on one day only.

For further information contact Angela at [email protected]

Thanks for posting the info valleyCBR :) . I'll be going. Masons_mum you'll be fine, the stays will be on lead.

I am not too worried for the stays as my boy will do them on and offlead but the heeling worries me, we had some training today in heeling as he hasnt much focus and isnt great at at it but by July I recon he will be ok ;)

Edited by Masons_mom

It'll be a DOL meet ;) .

:)

I think I will make a plan to crate train before July as I guess the dogs will need to be left alone for awhile while the humans to certain things. I look forward to the seminar though.

Just remember....the seminar is to teach YOU to teach your dog....when you are marked on the Sunday, it's not about what your dog can do or not do, but if you have learned from the lecture on the Saturday.

Only the bare bones basics of obedience are really needed and only so you don't get frustrated doing the courses. Do not underestimate your dogs ability..you will be amazed at what you as a team can do in this sport compared to traditional obedience work.

Just remember....the seminar is to teach YOU to teach your dog....when you are marked on the Sunday, it's not about what your dog can do or not do, but if you have learned from the lecture on the Saturday.

Only the bare bones basics of obedience are really needed and only so you don't get frustrated doing the courses. Do not underestimate your dogs ability..you will be amazed at what you as a team can do in this sport compared to traditional obedience work.

I can't wait but I never realised we were being marked! :)

If we only need the bare basics then I definately will go along and do the seminar :eek:

I can't wait but I never realised we were being marked! :eek:

I am sure you and Toby will do well ;)

Guarantee that all will enjoy and do well (ok, well maybe after the first run which traditionally everyone chokes on!)

This is a very fun sport, and after you get to listen to me talk all day on Saturday, you will be MORE than ready to put the lessons to practice.

Besides....on the Sunday, I'm not allowed to talk when judging....which might be a good thing!