Rally Obedience

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww bugger, 9pm is a bit too late when I have work in the morning :confused:

just go up straight from the lower oval. There simply isn't room to set up a course on the main arena before 8pm...but I will be on the lower oval at 7 and the equipment is in my car so we could set up a few stations :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Can you clarify after halt back 1-2-3 steps sign does it matter if you use a right finish or left finish before you move forward again

doesn't the dog back up with you and then you move forward :laugh: I hope ...

moving down means there is no halt, so mid stride drop I think but Angel will clarify I am sure.

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :laugh:

It was just the do you allow the dog to lag behind and keep moving or do you pause while the dog lays down.

Also with the back 1/2/3 I know it's call front. Step back dog steps with you while still in a front position it's just the end when you are moving the dog from the front.

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :laugh:

It was just the do you allow the dog to lag behind and keep moving or do you pause while the dog lays down.

Stand next to the dog while in the down position, then take off with the dog.

We had a moving down in one of the mock trials we did at the seminar, here you go:

Also with the back 1/2/3 I know it's call front

sorry which number ?

sorry you are on 26 not 49 oops sorry.

the rules don't say which return just that after the return the dog moves forward and doesn't sit...so I would do left but both are correct according to the rules

Edited by Rusky

sorry which number ?

the rules don't say which return just that after the return the dog moves forward and doesn't sit...so I would do left but both are correct according to the rules

Thanks Rusky, to me left made sense but I wasn't sure if there was a written rule somewhere. :D

sorry which number ?

Thanks Rusky, to me left made sense but I wasn't sure if there was a written rule somewhere. :laugh:

is there any chance at all you could make Wednesday mornings ? We had a great time this Wednesday Jill Houston set up a very interesting and challenging course which I bombed out on but it was great fun. Also why don't you hang around for a bit on Mondays ? we set up around 8.15 as soon as a trainer is free ( and the ground is quieter) on the main arena. The newbies are enjoying the experience and it is fantastic to see them really kick in with lure, reward, encouragement or whatever to get around the course. I train till just before 9 so I shouldn't be watching but can't help myself :hug:

sorry which number ?

Thanks Rusky, to me left made sense but I wasn't sure if there was a written rule somewhere. :laugh:

is there any chance at all you could make Wednesday mornings ? We had a great time this Wednesday Jill Houston set up a very interesting and challenging course which I bombed out on but it was great fun. Also why don't you hang around for a bit on Mondays ? we set up around 8.15 as soon as a trainer is free ( and the ground is quieter) on the main arena. The newbies are enjoying the experience and it is fantastic to see them really kick in with lure, reward, encouragement or whatever to get around the course. I train till just before 9 so I shouldn't be watching but can't help myself :o

I work Monday to Friday and usually start work at 8 or 9 (depending which shift I am on) so as much as I would love to come Wednesdays I really can't. When I have Lincoln back I will try to stay for the main class but Toby can be reactive and large crowds can make him anxious so we wouldn't work very well I'm afraid.

Question for Angelsun if you are around. Can you clarify after halt back 1-2-3 steps sign does it matter if you use a right finish or left finish before you move forward again.

Also can you please re-explain a moving down.

:laugh:

It doesn't matter what you do to get your dog facing in the right direction. I often encourage people to do a finish and then heel forward, but you are not marked down for anything after your final 3rd step/sit. At that point, the exercise is completed and you simply move to the next one. There are many that just heel forward and let the dog fall into place. No deductions for that.

Exactly, as well, the dog should not stop before dropping. The ideal moving down has the dog IN MOTION slide to the drop position. Deductions occur for anything less than that.

Also with the back 1/2/3 I know it's call front. Step back dog steps with you while still in a front position it's just the end when you are moving the dog from the front.

Handler must pause as the dog drops. This is not a like a moving stand where the handler continues after the dog stops....remember to pause so that the judge knows the exercise is finished. It only takes a second extra but not doing so, will result in dogs anticipating and popping up from the drop before their elbows touch the ground which results in a ten point hit as the dog has not completely dropped and therefore the station has not be completed correctly.

sorry which number ?

That station 49 is excellant and is three steps backwards, which means both dog AND handler must walk backwards at least three steps, with the dog remaining in correct heel position. Dancers have no issues with this one...I personally suck at it (as do my dogs!)

Pretty sure Rusky is right, the moving down is downing the dog straight from heeling, so do not sit your dog before you down it. Just like a formal obedience down during the heel pattern :o

Exactly, as well, the dog should not stop before dropping. The ideal moving down has the dog IN MOTION slide to the drop position. Deductions occur for anything less than that.

Well yes, just like formal obedience :rofl:

I have no idea about this other exercise you guys are talking about, perhaps I should read the rules and be training :laugh: I assume this is a station we didn't cover in the seminar?

sorry which number ?

That station 49 is excellant and is three steps backwards, which means both dog AND handler must walk backwards at least three steps, with the dog remaining in correct heel position. Dancers have no issues with this one...I personally suck at it (as do my dogs!)

This one sounds tough!! Unless we can perform it with the dog between our legs? :laugh: My dogs can walk backwards with me if they are standing between my legs :o