Digital Slr For Dummies?

tlc

Hi guys, I got a call from my sister tonight, she wants to buy her SIL a camera book for beginners as she is getting a SLR for xmas and has no idea how to use it. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Is there a SLR's for Dummies??

edited to add, I just did a google search and found there is a SLR for Dummies, wondering if this would be the best one for her to get?

Edited by tlc

A great general book is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Assuming you mean a DSLR. Generally SLR refers only to film cameras (not digital). Anyways no matter, the principles she will need to get her head around are the same for both. And this book covers both. There are dozens of beginner type books, including as you say there is a DSLR for Dummies. "Understanding Exposure" is at the top for being well written good information. I wouldn't particularly recommend the Dummies one to anyone starting out: it isn't dreadful, but it is not as good a book as Understanding Exposure.

I have 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson and 'The Digital Photography Book' by Scott Kelby. Both of which I recommend highly and have learnt alot from.

You can buy the two in a combo from fishpond here:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Computers.../9780321474049/

There is a link on the right hand side that says 'buy together' with Understanding Exposure for $64.94 :crossfingers:

I have 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson and 'The Digital Photography Book' by Scott Kelby. Both of which I recommend highly and have learnt alot from.

You can buy the two in a combo from fishpond here:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Computers.../9780321474049/

There is a link on the right hand side that says 'buy together' with Understanding Exposure for $64.94 :shrug:

thanks i'm going to get those. as i'm having a lot of issues understanding the manual side of things so take a lot of pics on auto :laugh:

just purchased both those books. the photography book had $5 knocked off the price since yesterday :D woohoo. ships in 24 hours so hope that i get it before xmas or not too long after :rofl:

Woo hoo!! I think mine took about 5 days to get to me. Im sure you'll love em! :confused:

doh. knew i should of spoke to dad first. we already own understanding exposure lol

i just checked the site and i should be able to return it less postage costs (altho postage was free) so should only cost me to return it to them.

unless anyone on here would like to buy it off me?

Edited by carebear

ok books arrived. does anyone want to buy understanding exposure off me. cost me $35 and i'll throw in free postage (seen as i can get a refund from the site, but have to pay postage to return it, i thought i'd offer it here first)

I have a couple of friends who recently got into photography so ill ask them and see if they are interested :cheer:

ok books arrived. does anyone want to buy understanding exposure off me. cost me $35 and i'll throw in free postage (seen as i can get a refund from the site, but have to pay postage to return it, i thought i'd offer it here first)

If Bellatrix's friends dont want it I will take it.

thanks kirislin :thumbsup:

dad was like 'you should check these things with me before you buy stuff' lol

mum, dad and i all have the same model of dslr too (why mum and dad have 1 each, i will never know tho) and mum's got a really cool macro lens i'm hoping to be able to use soon :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...